General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is Tri'ing for me? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-27 2:49 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Is Tri'ing for me?
Hi all,

a couple of years back I used to run almost every day, usually somewhere around 10km. I quit running (and doing sports alltogether) when I got a major inflammation of my achilles leaving me unable to run. After that I did not take on sports for at least three years.

Now I have a year of rugby training and competition behind me, which has left be strong, but fat and heavy (I weigh 110 kg, and ought to weigh about 90). I really want to do endurance sports again, but given my history and build it is unlikely that I will succeed in training for a marathon.

I was hoping to take up tri because I can see myself running for 10 km without getting injuries. With cycling and swimming I'm not that concerned about injuries to my achilles and lower legs. So, my impression Tri is that it would give me the thrill of an endurance sport, but with reduced danger to injuries to by lower legs.

Am I on the right track about this one?

btw: it might be useful to add that I'm 27 and 1m90

best!
Roel

2006-06-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: #466887

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Is Tri'ing for me?

I don't see why not.

If you want to you can.  As far as not running a marathon, unless you have some medical evidence that you are incapable I don't see why you couldn't do one in your future at some point, if you wanted to.

FWIW, Tri is good because the cross-training keeps you fit while reducing the amount of pounding your legs take from running only.

Obviously, I don't know what happened before, but it might be as simple as you ran too much, too hard without taking enough rest to let your body recover.  Rest is just as important as your training.  If you don't rest enough you can still injure yourself.

2006-06-29 7:27 AM
in reply to: #466887

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Is Tri'ing for me?
welcome to bt. cross training reduces injury and over-use issues, and tris are, imho, the perfect form of cross training. running, cycling, and swimming are wonderful ways to get fit without getting bored or hurt. you still have to make sure you are ramping up your workouts slowly, and listening to your body. while the workouts are different, it is still easy to overtrain your whole body, so try and follow a plan of some sort. do you have a race picked out yet?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is Tri'ing for me? Rss Feed