BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-01-05 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4551230

User image

New user

Durham
Subject: RE: Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN

I would like to join your group.  I am brand new to tri's although I have been a fan of my husband who has done several sprints.  I recently signed up for a Women's Mini-Sprint, Rambling Rose race in Raleigh, NC.  I have 19weeks to get ready.  My goals are to lose weight, get fit and finish the race feeling strong.  I had back surgery 2 years ago, which has derailed my activity level.  I have 2 girls (2,4) and a supportive husband.  I work full-time as a CRNA (Nurse Anesthetist) and have a thriving direct-sales business.  We are members at the YMCA with pool/gym access and I am planning to use my husbands road bike.  My worries are that my back will become re-injured, which I think has become more of an excuse than anything else.  I look forward to working with you and appreciate all assistance you can offer.  

Sincerely,   Kali 

2013-01-05 10:38 PM

New user

Hi Virginia and Crew!

I would love to become a member of your group if that's okay.  I'm 54 yrs old, live in Augusta, GA and have been a pretty serious recreational runner for years.  I enjoy competing in everything from 10K's to full marathons.  Most of my friends are also runners but the sport is becoming a bit routine.  With some coaxing from a couple of friends who have caught the triathlon bug I am seriously considering entering the sport as early as this spring, possibly starting with the Columbia Downtown Triathlon in Columbia, SC.  I'd like to get a taste of what the sport is like before investing in alot of gear!  I am also a recently certified personal trainer (NASM) and hope to train a client or two part time while I continue my full time job with the Federal Government.

My biggest concern is the swimming portion since I'm not a swimmer whatsoever and find the thought of swimming more than a few yards intimidating.  The thought of swimming in open waters is terrifying to me.  I'm 5'8", weigh about 158lbs and have about 10% body fat so I guess I'm not very buoyant.  Therefore, I'm very interested in purchasing a wetsuit for increased buoyancy.

My goals are to maintain my 20-30 miles/week running while learning the fundamentals of swimming so I can compete in a Sprint Tri within the next 18 months.  If I can afford one, I may use a swimming coach to get me started on the right track.  I may be wrong, but I'm hoping that my spin classes will suffice to prepare me for the cycling portion of the competition until I develop my swimming skills.

You can probably tell I really need some coaching/mentoring and hope you don't mind me joining your group.

Thanks - Joe

2013-01-06 3:42 AM

User image

Nairobi, Kenya

Hi friends!  

I am really techno-tarded and this is my first blog/forum/thread (not even sure on the lingo).  Can I subscribe or something for easy access to our thread, or do I always have to search in the forum bubble at the top left?  Also, I am getting like 16 emails/day now that we are getting into it.  Can I change that, too?  

What kind of "first" bike options and recommendations does any experienced triathlete out there have?  What exactly is a hybrid?

Thanks everyone!

2013-01-06 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4561488

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-06 7:42 AM

I'd like to join as well. I am a 37 yo mom of 2 little ones (5 and 2 yo) and I am married to a pretty active guy--- he enters something monthly, he finished his first half marathon this fall, and did a sprint tri last summer. I am new to everything. I just started running in July and usually run 4 miles a few times a week. I've completed a few 5ks, 8ks, and I did my first 10ks -- but they were awful as they were trail runs and I'm hoping for a better 10k in a road race in Feb. I am not fast -- like 10-11 pace for running. I have been swimming at the pool and can only swim 100y without stopping but I try to do ~1000y when I swim. Swim time for 100y ~1:45-1:50 but i can't seem to add in even another 25 before stopping. I don't bike and I'm scared of it. I entered a family bike ride this past Aug and only did the 9 mile loop (and it was a ride, not a race) and my knees hurt and I didn't know if I could finish. I hope to redeem myself and do the full moon 18 mile loop this year while my husband pulls the girls with him in a bike trailer.So now I want to do a tri this year, and in true to me fashion, I am in over my head . I signed up for a sprint tri here in VA in April, but I am not confident I'll be ready. I can run 4 miles, 6 is a stretch--- I have only done 5 miles on the bike trainer (and the road bike is a bit scary -- i rode a mountain bike in college to tool around town) and I can't swim more than 100y at a time! I also signed up for a tri in May--- my husband and I signed up for the sprint, and my 5yo is signed up for the kids tri the same weekend . Kinda down on myself for skill level, don't want to not get it together by the end of April but I just don't know.Ashley
2013-01-06 8:30 AM

Hi thereWe are a South African husband and wife (with a little boy, 11 months old), who's aim is to complete a sprint triathlon. Andrew owns two businesses (financial consulting and IT services) in Johannesburg. Louine is a register counsellor, and at present is taking 2 years off from counseling to raise our first child.In terms of triathlons, we are starting from scratch, so any advice and help would be great.Louine has a lot of swimming experience. Andrew has running and cycling experience.We look foward to walking (hopefully not literally) this journey with you.Regards,Louine & Andrew Berry

2013-01-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4562335

New user
South Carolina
stefanier - 2013-01-04 2:14 PM

Got room for one more?

Here is my info. Virginia I stole the format from your intro because I liked the set up!

NAME: stefanier/ Stefanie (I keep it pretty simple)

STORY: Oh gosh lets see, where to start. Growing up I was an overweight child and young adult. It took until my senior year in college for me to really take a good interest in my health and wellness. At my heaviest I was just over 200 which on a 5'4 frame is a lot. I eventually got into running which was followed by triathlons. To date I have run 3 marathons, 10+ half marathons, 2 half irons and various other distance races and am down 50+ pounds. Just recently gave birth to my first child around Labor Day and excited to get back in the groove after taking a year off from racing with my pregnancy. (I did how ever keep training and "Raced" several times during my 9 months including a 5k less than 12 hours before going to the hospital to give birth)

FAMILY STATUS: married and mom to a 4 month old boy!

CURRENT TRAINING: I train with Coach Marni Sumbal out of Jacksonville. Without her I would be lost. I thrive off of a schedule when it comes to my fitness. Typical week includes 8-12 hours of training depending on the week and the time of year. I am a slow runner, decent swimmer and decent cyclist. Not going to set any records or win any awards but I have a lot of fun doing what I do.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

Albany Half Marathon- March 2

HITS Ocala Olympic- March 24

Ironman Florida 70.3- May 19

Ironman Florida- November 3

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost around 50+ pounds from my heaviest. My coach and I are still working toward a weight loss goal about 5-10lbs or so from where I am currently. These are some stubborn lbs.

Welcome Stefanie! You sound so inspirational!!! Congratulations on your first baby. I think you are so lucky to be working with a coach. I wish I had that luxury. I will be doing Ironman Florida 70.3, so I hope I have a chance to meet you!!!

2013-01-06 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4562965

New user
South Carolina

Icemomma - 2013-01-04 9:50 PM Hi. Can I get in here too?

I've never done a tri, but have always wanted to do Kona. So I have to start somewhere right?
I have 3 kids, 7,5 and 2. My husband is constantly traveling, so there are a lot of times I'm a single momma.
I've always ran but I was a sprinter. I started running half marathons after having my first to keep my butt going to the gym or doing the workout.
I did get a road bike on Mothers day last year and decided to bike the RAIN ride in July. ( you Ride Across the entire state of INdiana in 1 day, 165 miles) In August my hubby and I did the LiveStrong Challenge ride in Philly (100 mile ride). That's all I've done.

So really it's either have another baby or do a half and full ironman this year.

I have ton of questions and really worried about getting my workouts in but definitely want to do at least a half this spring / summer.

I love how you say that it is "all" that you have done! LOL! You are miles ahead of most beginning triathletes. Congratulations. I think the biggest concern for EVERYONE is getting the workouts in. Most can do them, but we just can't find time. Making time is the biggest challenge! Welcome!

2013-01-06 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4563101

New user
South Carolina
sanle - 2013-01-05 12:46 AM

Hi Virginia and everyone else,

I would love to join your group!

In 2011 I completed a tri a tri but then last year I had a few injuries. All of them due to a combination of over training and ignoring the signals. With the last one, a hip injury in October, I even had to stop walking!

So I haven't done anything since October. I'm 5'4 and 202 pounds (53 years old)  I would love to start training very slowly to prevent any new injury or relapse and loose 50 pounds if possible.

Sandra

Hi Sandra! Sorry about the injuries. The very good news is that you know what to do. Take it slow to avoid injury. Losing weight will of course help that too....so it sounds like you are on the right track. I am glad to see you here.

2013-01-06 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4563210

New user
South Carolina

DawneyH - 2013-01-05 8:11 AM Hi all

Was after an opinion on logging training, I know this is down to personal preference but wondered what others did as I'm a data geek for a living so these things go through my head

When you log a training session do you log warm up/down in the log? Today I did a 5k walk/jog but this included a 5min warm up at beginning and 5 min warm down at end, I've logged the total but wondered if it should only include the main part

I include total distance and average speed. If it is a walking warm up, I do not include it, but if it is a slow warm up jog, I do. So...if the plan calls for 1 mile at 10 minute pace followed by 10 at 8:30 pace, I use the average on my garmin. Make sense? 

2013-01-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4564049

New user
South Carolina
gogomom - 2013-01-05 9:15 PM

I would like to join your group.  I am brand new to tri's although I have been a fan of my husband who has done several sprints.  I recently signed up for a Women's Mini-Sprint, Rambling Rose race in Raleigh, NC.  I have 19weeks to get ready.  My goals are to lose weight, get fit and finish the race feeling strong.  I had back surgery 2 years ago, which has derailed my activity level.  I have 2 girls (2,4) and a supportive husband.  I work full-time as a CRNA (Nurse Anesthetist) and have a thriving direct-sales business.  We are members at the YMCA with pool/gym access and I am planning to use my husbands road bike.  My worries are that my back will become re-injured, which I think has become more of an excuse than anything else.  I look forward to working with you and appreciate all assistance you can offer.  

Sincerely,   Kali 

Welcome Kali! Have you talked with your doctor about the best way to train? I know lots of people who have had major injuries are very successful with triathlon, I just wonder if there is anything special you should know. I am specifically wondering about bike positions with your back. I think you will be good on the run and swim, but I am not a doctor!

2013-01-06 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4564166

New user
South Carolina
matosian - 2013-01-05 11:38 PM

Hi Virginia and Crew!

I would love to become a member of your group if that's okay.  I'm 54 yrs old, live in Augusta, GA and have been a pretty serious recreational runner for years.  I enjoy competing in everything from 10K's to full marathons.  Most of my friends are also runners but the sport is becoming a bit routine.  With some coaxing from a couple of friends who have caught the triathlon bug I am seriously considering entering the sport as early as this spring, possibly starting with the Columbia Downtown Triathlon in Columbia, SC.  I'd like to get a taste of what the sport is like before investing in alot of gear!  I am also a recently certified personal trainer (NASM) and hope to train a client or two part time while I continue my full time job with the Federal Government.

My biggest concern is the swimming portion since I'm not a swimmer whatsoever and find the thought of swimming more than a few yards intimidating.  The thought of swimming in open waters is terrifying to me.  I'm 5'8", weigh about 158lbs and have about 10% body fat so I guess I'm not very buoyant.  Therefore, I'm very interested in purchasing a wetsuit for increased buoyancy.

My goals are to maintain my 20-30 miles/week running while learning the fundamentals of swimming so I can compete in a Sprint Tri within the next 18 months.  If I can afford one, I may use a swimming coach to get me started on the right track.  I may be wrong, but I'm hoping that my spin classes will suffice to prepare me for the cycling portion of the competition until I develop my swimming skills.

You can probably tell I really need some coaching/mentoring and hope you don't mind me joining your group.

Thanks - Joe

Hi Joe! Great to have you. I live in Columbia, SC, about an hour from you. I think that the swimming part is the most intimidating part for a lot of people. My husband is going through this right now, too. He is a good runner and cyclist, but he has never done much swimming. My best advice, get some LESSONS (not group...an actual instructor). Four or five should do the trick. Once you learn good form, getting the distance down is just a matter of building endurance. The endurance is different....because the breathing is so different, but it builds very quickly. I remember so well the first time that my swim plan told me to swim 40 laps. I thought there was NO WAY, but I did it. You can get there. 

The Downtown Columbia tri is an indoor swim. Some new swimmers find that better, but I hate indoor triathlons. My husband is using TryCharleston as his first sprint. The open water swim is only 500 meters, so it is still fairly short (most are 600 or 750). It will likely be wetsuit legal as it is in April. 

Welcome to the group!

2013-01-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4564347

New user
South Carolina

Ashglass - 2013-01-06 8:42 AM I'd like to join as well. I am a 37 yo mom of 2 little ones (5 and 2 yo) and I am married to a pretty active guy--- he enters something monthly, he finished his first half marathon this fall, and did a sprint tri last summer. I am new to everything. I just started running in July and usually run 4 miles a few times a week. I've completed a few 5ks, 8ks, and I did my first 10ks -- but they were awful as they were trail runs and I'm hoping for a better 10k in a road race in Feb. I am not fast -- like 10-11 pace for running. I have been swimming at the pool and can only swim 100y without stopping but I try to do ~1000y when I swim. Swim time for 100y ~1:45-1:50 but i can't seem to add in even another 25 before stopping. I don't bike and I'm scared of it. I entered a family bike ride this past Aug and only did the 9 mile loop (and it was a ride, not a race) and my knees hurt and I didn't know if I could finish. I hope to redeem myself and do the full moon 18 mile loop this year while my husband pulls the girls with him in a bike trailer.So now I want to do a tri this year, and in true to me fashion, I am in over my head . I signed up for a sprint tri here in VA in April, but I am not confident I'll be ready. I can run 4 miles, 6 is a stretch--- I have only done 5 miles on the bike trainer (and the road bike is a bit scary -- i rode a mountain bike in college to tool around town) and I can't swim more than 100y at a time! I also signed up for a tri in May--- my husband and I signed up for the sprint, and my 5yo is signed up for the kids tri the same weekend . Kinda down on myself for skill level, don't want to not get it together by the end of April but I just don't know.Ashley

Welcome Ashley!! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! Biking is my weakness. It was in the beginning. It still is. I AM SLOW! That being said, I can do it. I do it a lot. If it is your weakness, just do it as much as you can. The longer you spend in the saddle, the more comfortable you will be. If your knees were hurting, pay attention to your position. Make sure that your knees are not pointing out (picture clown bike). Just keep moving. What was once hard will someday seem easy. My first ever ride as an adult was 5 miles in a loop around my house. I cried after because I thought triathlons were DONE for me. They weren't. I'm glad you are here & can't wait to hear about your training and improvement.

2013-01-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4564376

New user
South Carolina

The Berry's - 2013-01-06 9:30 AM Hi thereWe are a South African husband and wife (with a little boy, 11 months old), who's aim is to complete a sprint triathlon. Andrew owns two businesses (financial consulting and IT services) in Johannesburg. Louine is a register counsellor, and at present is taking 2 years off from counseling to raise our first child.In terms of triathlons, we are starting from scratch, so any advice and help would be great.Louine has a lot of swimming experience. Andrew has running and cycling experience.We look foward to walking (hopefully not literally) this journey with you.Regards,Louine & Andrew Berry

Welcome! It is great that you are training as a couple. Since you are starting from scratch, the best advice I have is just to do it all and often. Don't fall to doing just what you like, but make yourself do all three disciplines several times each week. Andrew, if you aren't a strong swimmer, consider getting a few lessons. You can look through the BT training plans for a sprint, but to begin with, you just have to get out there. 

2013-01-06 10:39 AM

New user
South Carolina

What did your training look like this week (Dec. 30 - Jan 5)? 

This is what I did. It was a weird week due to traveling and holidays, so I didn't get everything in. I barely got on a bike at all, though I am scheduled for a long ride this afternoon.

Sunday - Easy 4 mile run
Monday - Off
Tuesday - 7 mile run
Wednesday - 1 mile swim, 45 min. cycle, 6 mile run
Thursday - 3 mile
Friday - 1.25 mile swim
Saturday - 16 mile run 

2013-01-06 10:45 AM

New user

Hi together,

I have never been on a blog and I never did a Triathlon but always wanted to do.

I started some years ago tos wim but then stopped after my third pregnancy and house rebuilding and wahtever excuses I had. Now I would like to start again and my aim would be to run a small sprint on March 30. Not as a competition - In Beijing there is not any like this, but as a competition first to myself. I work fulltime, have 3 kids, travel sometimes but also have the possibility to train in a pool here, have a decent running track and cycling track. I have a very ordinary bike, but I am also lucky and can plug it into a trainer indoor - if I just will manage with the technical part of it ;-)

I had recently a small head surgery and can only start training actively again from Beginning of February. So i would only have 2 months to go. Last year I occasionally had the shin splint problem and therefore mainly did spinning, a liitle bit uphill and swimming. But really I am not very strong looking at teh guys who have posted here. I weigh 78kg and I am 174cm high. I am not totally unhappy about my curves, but would like to be a bit fitter and stronger. I enjoy sports outdoor or in the water more, than indoor. But until End January I am not really allowed outside.

So do you have any idea how I can start and get a good plan which suits me - I understand there are these programs from Couch to Sprint - how can I find them.

As said I am not so good in all these technical things and really would instead of spending tiem in front of the computer get my butt moving.

I hope you can help me and look forward in exchanging ideas.

Many thanks already for your help

Warm regards
Maud

PS: thought the name is only for login, was not aware that this is appearing here, any idea how that can be changed?

2013-01-06 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4564492

New user

Durham
I have not talked to my doctor about this as it has been almost 2 years since I saw my surgeon.  I have no restrictions so, I plan to just give it a try.  Start slow and listen to my body.  Swimming today!  
2013-01-06 4:01 PM

HI Virginia,

I would love to become a part of your group if possible.

My name is Carly.  I'm 22, just graduated from college this past may and originally from Philadelphia, PA.  I recently moved to Madison, WI and am looking for a fun, healthy hobby and thought triathlons were the way to go!  I didn't swim or run competitively in high school or college, so starting on this journey makes me a little nervous!

I'm currently training for a sprint triathlon - not sure when I'll do one this summer since I want to be prepared! Looking for some advice/tips and motivation to stick with my training program - especially with swimming!

Looking forward to learning more about tri-ing!

Carly

2013-01-06 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4564269

New user

New York
TryNatTri - 2013-01-06 4:42 AM

What kind of "first" bike options and recommendations does any experienced triathlete out there have?  What exactly is a hybrid?

Thanks everyone!

A hybrid is kind of a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. They have a wider tire and chunkier tread on the edges than the road bikes do... they are good for road and trails. Perfect for my needs when I bought one last spring! BUT I never would have planned on entering a race... and now I have. I will use the bike I have since I am only signed up for a sprint, but if you are buying a bike with the intention of doing a triathlon, I would NOT recommend a hybrid. A road bike will be faster.

Ruth

2013-01-06 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4564504

New user

Thanks Virginia!  I can tell I am really going to like this group and the upcoming journey!  Based on your advice I am already starting my search for a swim coach.  Maybe our paths will cross sometime at a Sprint in the Palmetto State :-)

Joe

2013-01-06 8:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thanks Virginia for doing this. I have a terrible memory so I've been making a list of the group and a point or two from their sharing - think there are now 20 of us!

Thank you, thank you for the Swim, Bike, Mom site. She is a hoot and very inspirational.

I like your sharing your workouts. Makes me think I should be doing some.

I don't know what program to start with. I've done 2 sprints four years ago and survived. I don't know if I should do a few months of the Winter Maintanence plan to get in shape for the beginning oly (which I want to do in August 2013) or if I should start with the easiest sprint program or just hit the gym aiming to get in shape to start a program.
I do know that thinking about it won't help so I'll hit the gym and fight the urge to just life weights.

Am excited about the journey...

Mitzi

2013-01-06 8:56 PM

Hello, Tri Mommy Tri.  I would love to join your group.  I have a goal to complete my first sprint tri in June.  I am turning 50 this year and am trying to follow the foot steps of my father, he ran his first marathon the year he turned 50.  I realize that the tri is a better fit for me.  

In October I walked my first 1/2 marathon at a fitness pace of 12:30 minute miles and I loved it.  Not sure I have the knees for running but I am willing to try.   I think that will be my weakest link.  I swam competitively for 10 years and then for fitness during college.  Definitely have an advantage of living in northern california so I can train outside all year.  

I am married, work 4 days a week and have a very active six year old boy! (we started the family late) I have planned on using the beginning training schedule with 2X per week.  I think I can manage that.  Stay tuned.Smile

2013-01-06 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4564519

Champion
Brandon, MS
vtate75 - 2013-01-06 10:39 AM

What did your training look like this week (Dec. 30 - Jan 5)? 

Umm... It looked like nothing the 30th-1st   After that I did about 30 min each day, either on the trainer or a short run.  My goal for this week is to get up early at least two days and do an hour on the trainer.  If the weather warms a bit, I may head out for an early morning open water swim one day with my wetsuit.  The other goal is to do at least three lunch time runs. 

I did have a blast cheering at the MS Blues Marathon, and I'll have some pics to show off soon.  My parents happen to live on one of the worst hills on the course, so we tried to lighten the mood for the runners...  you'll see

2013-01-07 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4565111

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
TresLoca - 2013-01-06 8:27 PM

Thanks everyone!

A hybrid is kind of a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. They have a wider tire and chunkier tread on the edges than the road bikes do... they are good for road and trails. Perfect for my needs when I bought one last spring! BUT I never would have planned on entering a race... and now I have. I will use the bike I have since I am only signed up for a sprint, but if you are buying a bike with the intention of doing a triathlon, I would NOT recommend a hybrid. A road bike will be faster.

Ruth

When I did my sprints I only had an old hybrid. I thought that since I was heavy what was another 10 lbs of bike. Then I bought a bottom of the line ($650) road bike. I love it, the difference is amazing. Don't have a biking background, so I still brake going down a big hill, and I probably don't take my turns sharp enough but it still helps.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-01-07 7:10 AM
2013-01-07 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4565507

Champion
Brandon, MS
MuscleMomma - 2013-01-07 7:09 AM
TresLoca - 2013-01-06 8:27 PM

Thanks everyone!

Ruth

When I did my sprints I only had an old hybrid. I thought that since I was heavy what was another 10 lbs of bike. Then I bought a bottom of the line ($650) road bike. I love it, the difference is amazing. Don't have a biking background, so I still brake going down a big hill, and I probably don't take my turns sharp enough but it still helps. Mitzi

For the beginner sprint tri I was race director for we advertised: "Two wheels, brakes, and a helmet is all that's required!"

That's true for any tri, but riding long distances on knobby mtn bike tires just isn't a lot of fun day in and day out.  I started out with a very entry level Trek road bike.  It was the old orange Trek 1000 that they don't make anymore.  My next bike was a Masi Gran Corsa (road bike).  Still pretty entry level, but a little better than the Trek.  I still have it, and still ride it.  Roadies are fun on paths, neighborhood roads, or out training.  Around 2008 I built a tri specific bike, which then fell off my car rack on the way back from a race and I didn't notice until I had gotten home (driving thunderstorm distracted me).  Bought a new tri specific bike to replace it soon after.  They are fun, and the reason they are faster is because you can get in an aero position.  I actually don't recommend them for beginners.  They're harder to handle and really aren't that fun to be on outside of training and racing.  Plus, you can always slap some clip on aero bars onto a road bike.

And for the standard BT answer to which bike should I get:  The one that fits.  A bike that's your size that has been fitted is going to make riding sooooo much more enjoyable.  A truly bad fit can even cause some injury.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 10