BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-01-13 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4574866

New user

Subject: RE: Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN

Long run on last Saturday didn't go so well. I was suppose to do 7 miles but only did 5 since my shins were hurting. I can't seem to get past the shin/lower leg issues. It's not my shoes, I have orthotics, it's purely biomechanics and I'm working with a physical therapist and a massage therapist but its slow going. I'll keep trying. I'm training for a half Mary at the end of march, and for a sprint Tri. Wondering how little running i can get by with? I'm following a Jeff galloway plan which is 3 miles, twice a week and a long run on Saturday. I do the midweek runs at 2.5/1 run/walk interval and the long run a bit slower at 1:45/1 interval. If I increase spinning class and swimming could I get away with 1 run during the week and long run on Saturday? I need more recovery between runs, less impact, apparently I'm also running too upright and need to lean forward more but that's easier said than done. I'm getting freaked out because I'm not getting the miles in according to the plan and its stressing me out.

This not a athlete answer ! this is my don't stress it answer. I walked the 5k in my sprint as I did not have the training done still did not finish last and finished strong. So train as much as you can but on the day of the half and sprint if you have to walk a bit more than planned  it doesn't really matter once you get to the finish. Sure there are much better answers  

2013-01-13 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4575496

New user

had my swimming lesson today not too bad..... says my strokes are good and i could use work on my kicking and that once I master bilateral breathing I should be oki also got 5 miles in on the indoor cyclei feel good

Goo job

2013-01-13 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4551230

New user

So this week did not go too bad. Got some training in once the kids went back to school on Tuesday. So here is what last weeks training looked like

Mon nothing

Tues Pilates 60mins

Wed Couch to 5K (1/24)

Thurs Swim approx 800m ( lost count!)

Fri Couch to 5K (2/24)

Sat off

Sun Bike 20K 

This week hoping to get in 3 couch to 5K plus at least one other bike and swim like everyone else finding it hard to get all the training in. I am pretty slow on the bike has anyone any views on spin classes do they help build up bike fitness ? Also since I am not a runner I decided to do my first 10K on April 1st. The aim pure and simple is to run every step between the start and finish line ! 

Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead.

2013-01-13 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Good afternoon everyone! Today's trainer time consisted of threshold and intervals. It actually didn't seem as much of a sufferfest as it usually does! I ordered some more DVDs from Spinervals so we will see how much suffering I'm in for.

Attempted a 10 mile run last Friday but called it at 7.5 miles. The wind along the river was terrible. It felt like for every two steps forward I was pushed back a step.

Hope to do the complete 10 mike course tomorrow. Also have to get back in with the weights after taking the weekend off.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Beth
2013-01-13 9:49 PM

New user

Hi, I would love to join you. I went to your tri mommy tri blog today and your down to earth money advice helped me decide between the two bikes I was contemplating. I would love to continue learning from and with you.
I am a total newbie working on all the sports, trying to get into the best shape of my life and loving every minute of it. Well....most minutes. I am 45, married, two boys 16 and 12 and I work full time with lots of travel. So, you got room for one more?
Lindley
2013-01-14 6:31 AM

User image

New user
South Carolina
Hi Group! I am so sorry I was MIA for most of last week. My computer was being horrible, and basically I could only access email. On top of that, work was CRAZY, so I had no spare moments at work. But, I am back....I'll be reading through all in a few hours and catching up. SO SORRY!

2013-01-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4575496

User image

New user
South Carolina

HarfordTriFitChick - 2013-01-12 7:47 PM had my swimming lesson today not too bad..... says my strokes are good and i could use work on my kicking and that once I master bilateral breathing I should be oki also got 5 miles in on the indoor cyclei feel good

Great work! Be careful about too much kicking. You may need to conserve those legs during a triathlon. I actually TRY to kick less and work on upper body so that during a long race I can save my legs!

2013-01-14 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4576745

User image

New user
South Carolina

TriFitter - 2013-01-13 10:49 PM Hi, I would love to join you. I went to your tri mommy tri blog today and your down to earth money advice helped me decide between the two bikes I was contemplating. I would love to continue learning from and with you.
I am a total newbie working on all the sports, trying to get into the best shape of my life and loving every minute of it. Well....most minutes. I am 45, married, two boys 16 and 12 and I work full time with lots of travel. So, you got room for one more?
Lindley

Welcome! I hope you love it as much as I do. Triathlons are the best! You can do it.

2013-01-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4576295

User image

New user
South Carolina

Hubbie - 2013-01-13 3:48 PM Good afternoon everyone! Today's trainer time consisted of threshold and intervals. It actually didn't seem as much of a sufferfest as it usually does! I ordered some more DVDs from Spinervals so we will see how much suffering I'm in for.

Attempted a 10 mile run last Friday but called it at 7.5 miles. The wind along the river was terrible. It felt like for every two steps forward I was pushed back a step.

Hope to do the complete 10 mike course tomorrow. Also have to get back in with the weights after taking the weekend off.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Beth

How are the DVDs? I'm very curious about those. I am a person who HATES being on my bike trainer, but I love spin class. Maybe I should order some?

2013-01-14 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4576120

User image

New user
South Carolina
Parker Bim - 2013-01-13 1:27 PM

Long run on last Saturday didn't go so well. I was suppose to do 7 miles but only did 5 since my shins were hurting. I can't seem to get past the shin/lower leg issues. It's not my shoes, I have orthotics, it's purely biomechanics and I'm working with a physical therapist and a massage therapist but its slow going. I'll keep trying. I'm training for a half Mary at the end of march, and for a sprint Tri. Wondering how little running i can get by with? I'm following a Jeff galloway plan which is 3 miles, twice a week and a long run on Saturday. I do the midweek runs at 2.5/1 run/walk interval and the long run a bit slower at 1:45/1 interval. If I increase spinning class and swimming could I get away with 1 run during the week and long run on Saturday? I need more recovery between runs, less impact, apparently I'm also running too upright and need to lean forward more but that's easier said than done. I'm getting freaked out because I'm not getting the miles in according to the plan and its stressing me out.

This not a athlete answer ! this is my don't stress it answer. I walked the 5k in my sprint as I did not have the training done still did not finish last and finished strong. So train as much as you can but on the day of the half and sprint if you have to walk a bit more than planned  it doesn't really matter once you get to the finish. Sure there are much better answers  

Have you heard of the book Chi Running? I have the Chi Marathon book, and it has totally changed my form and saved my legs. WHen I do get pain, I always realize that I have let my form go. If you haven't read it, give it a try. There is one tip in there about mid-foot strike and lowering your legs. He describes the feet as "peeling the banana" when coming off of the ground. When I am struggling, I always find myself repeating, "peel the banana." Anyway, check out the book. Good LUCK!

2013-01-14 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4575933

User image

New user
South Carolina
rydergal - 2013-01-13 10:50 AM

HI there,

I'd love to join the group- I'm not a newbie however But I love to help, provide motivation and enouragement when it's needed! I am a mother of a 3 year old, I just raced my first marathon, olympic, half ironman and Ironman race in 2012...and I work full time!  i'm also14 weeks pregnant with my second!

I love to hear how mom's do it and also if any mom's here kept active during pregnancy and their tips. I did with my last however much more tired this time and fighting inner-demons that want to train like i'm still training for ironman but knowing I can't!!

Any other Canadians out there as well?? I've been on mentor groups before and found them however there is not many of them!

I have four kids...I have to tell you that i found each pregnancy a little more exhausting than the last! LOL! Oh well! This too shall pass. Just do what you can do. You know, you can swim until the last minute...even if the running becomes to much. With my 4th child I was told NO MORE RUNNING at 25 weeks........so I moved to walking. 

Anyway, welcome! I would love any tips you have since you are an absolute expert. Which Ironman did you do? Also, have you done any ultras that were not sponsored by Ironman? I am considering one, but have heard mixed things about the non-ironman iron distance events.

2013-01-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4575299

User image

New user
South Carolina
mrmarty - 2013-01-12 4:28 PM

If there's still room, I'd like to join your group.

I did my first sprint tri last fall and am looking to start training now for my second in April.  My first tri was mostly just for me to learn the whole process.  I finished my first one though it was no where close to what I'd hoped for time wise, but I did learn a lot and would love to gain some insight from someone who has done more than me.

Thanks.

Welcome! WHat are you training for right now?

2013-01-14 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4569986

User image

New user
South Carolina
juniperjen - 2013-01-09 12:29 PM

Hey team - what's on the go??

Last night I did not get a workout in BUT! We bought a treadmill for home use.  I am actually really excited about it.  It should be delivered on Monday.  Tonight, I have my swim group so that is guaranteed to get done!

So, curious about the group - what do you all have to help you get your training done?

Treadmill? Trainer? Training buddies?

I do not have a treadmill, but there are many at the gym. Frankly, my house is too small. I do have a trainer...but I Hate it. I ride it when necessary, but if I can get outside, I do. I have a group that I run with each Saturday. It's a marathon training group. I also have a group that I sometimes cycle with. Unfortunately, they have recently moved to Saturdays, from Sundays, so I generally can't make it anymore. I am hoping to find some new riding buddies though. It's hard alone. Yesterday I went with my hubby, but that is difficult to make happen because of our kids.

2013-01-14 11:17 AM

New user

Hello my name is Silvia I am from Mexico I am 45 years old and have 3 children. I have been running for some time, the maximum I have reached is the 10k race, now I am swimming and want to do the small thriatlon but not sure if I can do it. I will love that you will be my mentor and part of your grouo please tell me what I have to do.

Silvia

[email protected]

2013-01-14 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4575943

User image

Expert
rydergal - 2013-01-13 11:00 AM

Hey Laura-

Loooks like we are in the same boat!! I am 14 weeks prego and am an Ironman as well.....Just trying to balance what's too much and not enough training with this pregnancy. Wanting to enter some races without people yelling at me or thinking i'm crazy!! I really want to do a super sprint in May as well.

From 9-12 weeks I had nausea and was very tired- now i feel alot better and wanting to get back at it! Seeming easy to pick up where I left off at a modified pace. Have also been on the edge with work and what I would actually be doing in my job ( i have a non-safe job for pregos) so I just found out this week what I'll be doing and excited to finally have a routine!

I stayed active in my last pregnancy (however had not done any tri's prior!)- had a easy labor (under 7 hrs) and very good recovery! ( was running 3 weeks later since I had no issues) I absolutely believe it's benificial to stay active as a result!!

Haha, it sounds like our group has three pregnant, canadian ironman in it!  (JuniperJen is also an Ironman and canadian).

Which Ironman did you do?  I have done both Florida and Wisconsin.  I'm impressed that you were able to do an ironman with a little one at home.  I've been playing around with the idea of doing another one in 2014, but my family all thinks I am crazy.

One of the girls at work is also pregnant and had to get put on modified work duties due to chemical exposure, but since I am a little more senior, I can just pick and chose what I do, and delegate what I think it unsafe.  Makes it a little easier and also means I don't have to tell everyone at work right away as well.  Where abouts in Canada are you?  I'm in southwestern Ontario.

I was doing okay for the first 9 weeks or so, getting in a few workouts a week, but then I got knocked out with a horrible cold.  went for my first run in three weeks yesterday and it wasn't pretty.  mostly because of the cold still lingering around in my chest.  hopefully it will clear out soon and I can get back to normal.

Oh, and I've been exhausted lately.  Ive been falling asleep on the couch pretty much every evening.  can't wait for month 4 when the exhaustion is supposed to go away a bit!

2013-01-14 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Well, my weekend and start to this week has been derailed by baby's first ear infection.  He's freaking cute when he wants to snuggle, though... hard to go get on the trainer when he just wants to sleep on my chest.

2013-01-14 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Workout was great today did a 3 mile run filled by a lifting session that pushed me to critical failure. Then it was 30 minutes of tough love on the elptical. Call me crazy but I live to work to the point of exhaustion. Lets me feel alive and healthy.

I love my Spinervals DVD. I tried using Netflix and some audio training on my iPhone. So far the Spinervals are my faviorate, things are always changing and I'm kept engaged in the action.

I get tonight off then it's back to work tomorrow.

Beth
2013-01-14 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4577900

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Daffodil - 2013-01-14 1:03 PM
rydergal - 2013-01-13 11:00 AM

Hey Laura-

Loooks like we are in the same boat!! I am 14 weeks prego and am an Ironman as well.....Just trying to balance what's too much and not enough training with this pregnancy. Wanting to enter some races without people yelling at me or thinking i'm crazy!! I really want to do a super sprint in May as well.

From 9-12 weeks I had nausea and was very tired- now i feel alot better and wanting to get back at it! Seeming easy to pick up where I left off at a modified pace. Have also been on the edge with work and what I would actually be doing in my job ( i have a non-safe job for pregos) so I just found out this week what I'll be doing and excited to finally have a routine!

I stayed active in my last pregnancy (however had not done any tri's prior!)- had a easy labor (under 7 hrs) and very good recovery! ( was running 3 weeks later since I had no issues) I absolutely believe it's benificial to stay active as a result!!

Haha, it sounds like our group has three pregnant, canadian ironman in it!  (JuniperJen is also an Ironman and canadian).

Which Ironman did you do?  I have done both Florida and Wisconsin.  I'm impressed that you were able to do an ironman with a little one at home.  I've been playing around with the idea of doing another one in 2014, but my family all thinks I am crazy.

One of the girls at work is also pregnant and had to get put on modified work duties due to chemical exposure, but since I am a little more senior, I can just pick and chose what I do, and delegate what I think it unsafe.  Makes it a little easier and also means I don't have to tell everyone at work right away as well.  Where abouts in Canada are you?  I'm in southwestern Ontario.

I was doing okay for the first 9 weeks or so, getting in a few workouts a week, but then I got knocked out with a horrible cold.  went for my first run in three weeks yesterday and it wasn't pretty.  mostly because of the cold still lingering around in my chest.  hopefully it will clear out soon and I can get back to normal.

Oh, and I've been exhausted lately.  Ive been falling asleep on the couch pretty much every evening.  can't wait for month 4 when the exhaustion is supposed to go away a bit!

That's awesome there is another IM prego as well! I did Ironman Canada 2012, it was some days very trying to train but we tried to make it a family ordeal as much as possible- my hubby would ride beside me on my long runs pulling the chariot, we would all go to the pool together and i'd get my laps in and then hang out with the family! I work shift work too so on my first day off after nights i'd get up earlier while kiddo was at dayhome and do a long ride before I picked her up. We are allowed an hour to work out at work as well so i'd do my quick speed workouts then. Some how it all worked out! Not to mention my hubby was super supportive- he made dinners, lunches, cleaned so I wouldnt have to worry about that! It worked out to be the right timing for me, Kiddo just turned 2 years old while i was starting training, so still taking naps as well in the afternoons that were around 2 hrs so i'd hit the trainer or tready at home as well to get in training. When all else failed on my short bricks i'd pull her behind my bike in the chariot and push her in the chariot after- that's really good training!! haha

I'm in Calgary. I hear ya on the cold- I had right after i got prego and then 2 weeks later as a horrible cough so it set me back a few weeks. But seeming on the up now, this time around i'm finding it more challenging to be prego in the winter, lack of vit D sucks! where as last time it was majority through the summer!!

2013-01-14 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4577247

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
vtate75 - 2013-01-14 8:30 AM
rydergal - 2013-01-13 10:50 AM

HI there,

I'd love to join the group- I'm not a newbie however But I love to help, provide motivation and enouragement when it's needed! I am a mother of a 3 year old, I just raced my first marathon, olympic, half ironman and Ironman race in 2012...and I work full time!  i'm also14 weeks pregnant with my second!

I love to hear how mom's do it and also if any mom's here kept active during pregnancy and their tips. I did with my last however much more tired this time and fighting inner-demons that want to train like i'm still training for ironman but knowing I can't!!

Any other Canadians out there as well?? I've been on mentor groups before and found them however there is not many of them!

I have four kids...I have to tell you that i found each pregnancy a little more exhausting than the last! LOL! Oh well! This too shall pass. Just do what you can do. You know, you can swim until the last minute...even if the running becomes to much. With my 4th child I was told NO MORE RUNNING at 25 weeks........so I moved to walking. 

Anyway, welcome! I would love any tips you have since you are an absolute expert. Which Ironman did you do? Also, have you done any ultras that were not sponsored by Ironman? I am considering one, but have heard mixed things about the non-ironman iron distance events.

Wow 4 kids!! that's awesome!! yes I do plan to do more swimming this time around, it's my weakness in tri's and hoping that maybe this is the time to work on form and such when it comes time to not run anymore! I ran till 8 months with my last pregnancy- basically the urge to pee every 3 min got the best of me so i threw in the towel!! haha

I did Ironman Canada 2012- the last one in penticton! I have not done any other ultras, but If i did I would stick to IM, i'm definitly a sucker for the lable!!

2013-01-14 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4577918

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

sesh - 2013-01-14 1:12 PM Well, my weekend and start to this week has been derailed by baby's first ear infection.  He's freaking cute when he wants to snuggle, though... hard to go get on the trainer when he just wants to sleep on my chest.

awww hope he gets better soon, there is nothing better then baby snuggles!

2013-01-14 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4577220

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
vtate75 - 2013-01-14 8:21 AM

HarfordTriFitChick - 2013-01-12 7:47 PM had my swimming lesson today not too bad..... says my strokes are good and i could use work on my kicking and that once I master bilateral breathing I should be oki also got 5 miles in on the indoor cyclei feel good

Great work! Be careful about too much kicking. You may need to conserve those legs during a triathlon. I actually TRY to kick less and work on upper body so that during a long race I can save my legs!

agreed! especially if you are doing an OWS , with the boyancy from the wetsuit you don't need to really kick at all! save them for the bike/ run!

2013-01-14 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4565953

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
juniperjen - 2013-01-07 9:29 AM

Hey guys - wondering if i can join in.  Is there still room?  I am not a newbie to triathlon but i am finding myself at a new crossroads as i am 18 weeks pregnant and looking to keep fit but keep perspective as i head out on the journey to parentdom. 

I have a busy day today but could probably check in more formally tomorrow ...  

Hey ! Glad to find another in the same boat! I'm not a newbie either but 14 weeks prego and trying to balance not training like an Ironman this past summer but more realistically to just stay in shape and not have a race goal but a goal of a healthy baby and healthy quick labor!

2013-01-14 9:42 PM

New user

Bello my name is Silvia I want to be a Part of your mentor group can you tell me what I have to do please
2013-01-14 9:43 PM

New user

Bello my name is Silvia I want to be a Part of your mentor group can you tell me what I have to do please
2013-01-15 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran
What's on tap for this week?

My goal is to actually get three runs in, tues, thurs and long on Saturday, keeping my fingers crossed. Working on my form a bit, trying to take some hints from chi running. Does anyone practice chi running? Going to spin tomorrow, I've been away from that too Long. I'd also like to get at least one road ride in this week. Next week I'm going to get back in the pool too!

Tues - run

Weds - spin

Thurs - run

Friday - bike

Saturday - run

I'm fortunate I can still be outside fairly comfortably in NC in winter, anyone else?

Yvonne

Edited by Ybeal 2013-01-15 1:20 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 10