General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Simulating Climbing: Front wheel 26" and rear wheel 24" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-01 12:41 PM

Subject: Simulating Climbing: Front wheel 26" and rear wheel 24"
Hi, I want to drill climbing long hills but where I live there are no ones   I had the idea to simulate it using a Front wheel 26" and a rear wheel 24". Do you think it really simulates climbing hills or not? do you have other ideas besides indoor or stationary trainers?

2013-01-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4556415

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Simulating Climbing: Front wheel 26" and rear wheel 24"
No, that wouldn't do it. Climbing well is about power to weight ratio, so to become a better climber you work on improving your ftp ( functional threshold power). In plain terms ftp is the amount of power ( watts) you can generate for 1 hour. The most common way to accomplish this is to do rides of a variety of intensities each week while progressively increasing the total weekly training volume. This is the general concept. The details will vary based on your experience level, goal event length, and available hours for training and recovery.
2013-01-01 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

The extra effort needed to climb hills is because you're climbing a hill, not because the bike isn't level.  So creating an "upward angle" with different wheel sizes or a big block under the front wheel on a trainer isn't going to do anything.

It takes a variable resistance trainer to realistically simulate hill climbing.  Either you crank up the resistance by hand or you use something like a CompuTrainer which is a computer-controlled variable resistance trainer. 

If your trainer doesn't have variable resistance, or you want to simulate hills outdoors on flat terrain, then the usual advice is to increase resistance by riding a big gear such that you're putting out max effort with a cadence of 60 rpm or so. 

BTW, I do a lot of hill climbing because the Seattle area is very hilly. Most every ride involves some degree of hill climbing.  And since I live on a hill, my ride home involves a 500' 5-10% grade.  We have annual local rides with names like "7 Hills of Kirkland" and the "Chilly Hilly".  Yep, we've got hills. 

If you want to simulate that kind of hill climbing, you'd alternate five to ten minutes of high gear / low cadence (the climb) with low gear / high cadence (the descent).  Then repeat.  Over and over.

2013-01-01 1:26 PM

thanks trimybest and brucemorgan for the good answers...

Edited by bernardocom 2013-01-01 1:29 PM
2013-01-01 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Trainer and riser block... this idea is not a good one
2013-01-01 9:12 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
there is that extra little problem of needing a new fork, at least to accommodate the larger wheel

2013-01-01 9:43 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Echoing the others: it's all about the power-to-weight ratio. The more watts you can generate and the less weight you're carrying, the faster you'll go uphill. Simple as that. It's possible to become quite a good hill climber without ever riding on a hill in training. It can all be done on the flat, or on a trainer. It's the descents that require more specific training, because of the technical skills required.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the low cadence work, unless you're expecting to run out of gears on a climb, either because the climb is so steep or because you're carrying a lot of weight. The most efficient way to climb is to simply shift down to a gear that allows you to climb seated at the cadence that you're normally comfortable with. Standing up to climb can be a good way of generating power, but it's quite inefficient, so it's only to be used as an extreme measure. I have no reservations about using my granny gear to spin up a hill in a race; especially as that generally has me passing lots of people who are straining up the hill in a larger gear, often standing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Simulating Climbing: Front wheel 26" and rear wheel 24" Rss Feed