BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-05-13 5:20 AM
in reply to: #4737465

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed
That is great. You will do an excellent job!!!!!!!!!! Lookong forward to hearing of your successes. FYI, haven't been posting much lately as I had an unexpected illness then death in the family. But I've still been trying to keep up with the training and progressing right along with the schedule I've set up. My next Tri is this coming Saturday which will be my first open water swim in competition. Water temps should be around 73 degrees, it's on the coast so the bike and run will be on flat land. I'm hoping to do some personal bests on this one. Good luck on the next chapter in your life.

2013-05-13 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4556995

I wish weather warm up significantly and quickly.  My next sprint with OWS is in 2 weeks and air temperatures are still below 50, water perhaps around 45. Do you think I will make 500 yards without wetsuit?
2013-05-13 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4740699

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
45 degrees is pretty cold, you can start losing dexterity in 5 minutes, depending on how you handle the cold in general you could make it, but may not be able to get your bike shoes on? I would opt for a wet suit if possible? I typically swim in 62 deg water in a sleeveless wet suit with out issue, but when the temps get into the 50's it starts getting uncomfortable! Does the tri web site have any recommendations?Good luck! Looking forward to the race report.
2013-05-14 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Fell on my bike this morning. Yesterday I put some new fangled peddles on the bike and after taking a few spins around the neighborhood to get used to them, I thought I had it down.  Fast forward to this morning....Went on a ride before work with my son who is home on leave this week from Fort Carson. He can't hang with his old salty dad, so I decded I'd pull to the side and wait on him when it happened. Got my left foot off the peddle ok, couldn't get my right foot off and took a nasty fall.  Road rash on my lower leg to my ankle and a very nasty cut on my knee. My first thought was OS! All this training and less than a week before my next tri I screw up my knee.   Other than bleeding profusely, blood running down my leg and dripping on the ground. It didn't seem to be hurt all that bad.  Anyhow, got back on the bike and rode the last two miles home. By the time I got home, blood had saturated my sock and shoe.  Went inside and cleaned the asphalt and gravel out of the road rash and knee, cleaned the wounds with alcohol, double ouch! and put a cold compress on the knee to get it to stop bleeding. Allt he while listening to my wife nag me about how I need to go to the doctor and get it looked at.  Finally got the bleeding stopped, showered, applied some neosporin and bandage and got dressed and left for work, assuring my wife I'd stop at the urgent care along the way to have a doctor look at it (I didn't but it got her to stop nagging me).   Except for a little sore, knee seems to be ok.  Oh well, all in a day's training.  Light swim in Jordan lake this afternoon on the way home from work and a maybe a little 3 mile jog and I'll be ok for the tri this weekend. My only fear is I don't forget again and fall in front of everybody.  Now that would not be cool.

Edited by Bull 2013-05-14 8:50 AM
2013-05-15 4:55 AM
in reply to: #4740718

Mountaindan - 2013-05-13 6:29 PM 45 degrees is pretty cold, you can start losing dexterity in 5 minutes, depending on how you handle the cold in general you could make it, but may not be able to get your bike shoes on? I would opt for a wet suit if possible? I typically swim in 62 deg water in a sleeveless wet suit with out issue, but when the temps get into the 50's it starts getting uncomfortable! Does the tri web site have any recommendations?Good luck! Looking forward to the race report.

Thanks Dan! I think I will make it, although it will not be the most enjoyable experience, brr. How is your training going? Haven't heard from you for a while.

Bull - ouch! I'm sure you won't forget to unclip after such fall again. This is sort of mistake you do only once, similar to baby touching hot teapot.

2013-05-15 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4742986

User image

Regular
North Carolina
LOL. I don't think I'll repeat that mistake again. I'm sure there's a new mistake or mis-step waiting for an opportunity though. Yesterday I was so worried about that knee o didn't think of the possibility of anywhere else being injured. This morning my 55 y/o body reminded me, woke up to a sore back and shoulder. Nothing really serious I believe, just some aches and pains. My plan going into the Tri this week was light workouts and light weights in the weight room and keep a close eye on my diet. Last Tri I did I think I overdid my training up to the race, I finished, but didn't have a lot of gas in the tank and my performance wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for. I decided for my June Tri to change up. I'm running a wilderness challenge triathlon with kayaking down the cape fear river instead of swimming. The nice part is it's right in my home town, I can see the start/finish right from my front porch. It will be nice to not have to get up at O dark thirty or travel to a Tri. Plus, for once I feel like I'll have a home field advantage, I know this section of rivervvery well (it's in my backyard), the ride is a section of one of my training loops and I run the course every day. This particular Tri attracts a lot of special forces guys from Fort Bragg, as of now, I'm the oldest participant registered ( they limit it to 100). With all those soldiers, I'm fairly certain I'm coming in last place.

2013-05-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4741473

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Bull - 2013-05-14 7:45 AM

Fell on my bike this morning. Yesterday I put some new fangled peddles on the bike and after taking a few spins around the neighborhood to get used to them, I thought I had it down.  Fast forward to this morning....Went on a ride before work with my son who is home on leave this week from Fort Carson. He can't hang with his old salty dad, so I decded I'd pull to the side and wait on him when it happened. Got my left foot off the peddle ok, couldn't get my right foot off and took a nasty fall.  Road rash on my lower leg to my ankle and a very nasty cut on my knee. My first thought was OS! All this training and less than a week before my next tri I screw up my knee.   Other than bleeding profusely, blood running down my leg and dripping on the ground. It didn't seem to be hurt all that bad.  Anyhow, got back on the bike and rode the last two miles home. By the time I got home, blood had saturated my sock and shoe.  Went inside and cleaned the asphalt and gravel out of the road rash and knee, cleaned the wounds with alcohol, double ouch! and put a cold compress on the knee to get it to stop bleeding. Allt he while listening to my wife nag me about how I need to go to the doctor and get it looked at.  Finally got the bleeding stopped, showered, applied some neosporin and bandage and got dressed and left for work, assuring my wife I'd stop at the urgent care along the way to have a doctor look at it (I didn't but it got her to stop nagging me).   Except for a little sore, knee seems to be ok.  Oh well, all in a day's training.  Light swim in Jordan lake this afternoon on the way home from work and a maybe a little 3 mile jog and I'll be ok for the tri this weekend. My only fear is I don't forget again and fall in front of everybody.  Now that would not be cool.

Bull - there are two types of cyclists - those that have fallen off their bike because they didn't clip out ... and those that will fall because they didn't clip out.

I fell so often when I started riding my tri-bike that my youngest daughter, she was just a toddler, her parting words for me on every ride was "Don't fall off your bike, Daddy."

Road rash sucks big time. A thing I learned from my neighbor at the time who was an experienced rider (and faller ) was to spray liquid bandage on the rash. Helps with the oozing. Gross I know, but it worked. You don't have to put up with pulling the bandage off..eeech.

Thom
2013-05-15 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4740699

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
tukutuku - 2013-05-13 5:07 PM

I wish weather warm up significantly and quickly.  My next sprint with OWS is in 2 weeks and air temperatures are still below 50, water perhaps around 45. Do you think I will make 500 yards without wetsuit?

Dan has it right. You could do it - but it would be tough getting going on the bike.

My first triathlon was in a German pool in mid-spring - there was nothing warm about it. It was certainly in the 50s. On top of that, I wore a speedo (yeah - I looked hot - with a big ole belly to boot!).

At those temps - you are best off with a wet suit. You can usually rent them from a local tri store if you have one nearby.

Thom
2013-05-15 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4737462

User image

Denver, CO
sundevil87 - 2013-05-10 10:29 PM
jmac5032 - 2013-05-02 12:59 PM

Hello everyone! Hope all is well on the training front. I have really gotten in some good key workouts this past week in all 3 disciplines. I hope to build slightly this week as well before my business travel all next week. Hopefully I can get in at least 2 or 3 runs and good thing its a taper week!

I picked up my Rocky Mountain Triathlon Club uniform on Tuesday night and also took advantage of an opportunity to do a track workout that same night with the team. We put in a really hard effort of 8x800 repeats. It was me and another guy working hard together in group one. He killed me on the final 2 repeats at all out effort but I hung on as best I could. I started shaking my head when my garmin said 4:51 pace! Yes that was my max point for me and had to slow sligthly. He is training for Ironman Montreal! Really cool guy none the less. Anyway it was way easier to run hard with someone else instead for a change. I met some cool people and happy that I joined the team.

I am getting excited for Longmont on the 18th and beginning to feel that nervousness from time to time as I think about race day. Trying to stay positive and focus on what equipment I will need. I picked up a new Cobb saddle and am anxiously awaiting its delivery today. Hopefully it will be the magic saddle for me. More to follow on that.

Take care and happy training!

Jeff

Jeff, Let me know how you like the Cobb - still thinking about getting one - though I didn't have any issues with my stock saddle during Napa (after having had all kinds of issues early during my training). I may ping you on PM about RMTC - thinking about joining with them. Will be interested in your thoughts. I saw the pre-race note from the Longmont folks. They are saying not to worry about the temp of the water - ya, right! Bet that water is going to be cold with the snow run off. Look forward to your report. I've been mulling the idea of making the trip up to cheer you on - but not sure I can swing it with my kids Little League games - but if I can I'll let you know. Thom

Hi Thom,

So far I like the Cobb but it does take some getting use to of course. I had to move the seat forward quite a bit and adjust the height up slightly. I do feel more comfortable and no more pinching but I did seem to have sore glutes. It must be that I wasnt fully engaging them before with the old seal and relying only on my quads and hamstrings. I think I might be i a better position now. I am definately up more on top of the pedal and feel like I have more power with a lower heart rate. All good things.

As far as Longmont goes, yes they said the water was quite warmer than they expected so I am happy about that. Got in one swim at the pool with the wetsuit and felt fairly comfortable. The weather has been so nice lately I am hoping the water is calm and not choppy. We are doing 4 min wave starts for each age group so that eases my stress level slightly. I am still not nervous but I usually dont get freaked out until the day before. Just trying to focus on rest and preparation.

If you make it up this weekend I'll be on a Cervelo P1 (red and silver) and blue and yellow RMTC club tri kit.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Jeff

2013-05-15 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4743031

User image

Denver, CO

Bull - 2013-05-15 5:15 AM LOL. I don't think I'll repeat that mistake again. I'm sure there's a new mistake or mis-step waiting for an opportunity though. Yesterday I was so worried about that knee o didn't think of the possibility of anywhere else being injured. This morning my 55 y/o body reminded me, woke up to a sore back and shoulder. Nothing really serious I believe, just some aches and pains. My plan going into the Tri this week was light workouts and light weights in the weight room and keep a close eye on my diet. Last Tri I did I think I overdid my training up to the race, I finished, but didn't have a lot of gas in the tank and my performance wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for. I decided for my June Tri to change up. I'm running a wilderness challenge triathlon with kayaking down the cape fear river instead of swimming. The nice part is it's right in my home town, I can see the start/finish right from my front porch. It will be nice to not have to get up at O dark thirty or travel to a Tri. Plus, for once I feel like I'll have a home field advantage, I know this section of rivervvery well (it's in my backyard), the ride is a section of one of my training loops and I run the course every day. This particular Tri attracts a lot of special forces guys from Fort Bragg, as of now, I'm the oldest participant registered ( they limit it to 100). With all those soldiers, I'm fairly certain I'm coming in last place.

I have fallen twice this way...I guess I am a hard learner or a glutton for punishmentSmile

Glad you are ok

2013-05-15 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4738513

User image

Denver, CO

Armandova - 2013-05-12 7:48 AM Thanks for the words of encouragement. While I am not nervous at the moment, I am sure butterflies will fly when I arrive in Houston. Taper - well I think I took it to an extreme. 0 workouts since my last long ride on Sunday. I flew to Dallas on Friday with the hopes of getting acclimatized to the heat. I will do an hour run this afternoon and a few short ones over the next few days. I have all my gear ready with the possible exception of picking up an aero helmet and a rear wheel cover. Other than that the count down has started. I will keep checking in on the progress

Good luck!

2013-05-15 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4737465

User image

Denver, CO

sundevil87 - 2013-05-10 10:32 PM Thought I would let the group here know about a great opportunity that presented itself to me the past week. I was approached by an individual I met who works for USA Triathlon. He asked if I would be interested in serving as a board member for a military outreach program that USAT is initiating. I of course jumped at it. I can combine two of my passions - Triathlon and Soldiers (and other services). I am pretty stoked. As I approach my retirement later this month - this will allow me to maintain a connection to the world that I have known my whole life. How cool is that! I hope I do right by them. Thom

What a cool opportunity!

Forgot to mention about the RMTC that you asked about. I really like the club and they have some pretty cool club discounts if you join. Plus I got my tri kit for $100 out the door and membership is only $50 per year. They have plenty of team workouts throughout the season too but most of them are in the South Denver area. I live North of Denver so its tough for me to make most of them. They do have some pretty good swims and group rides on Saturdays that I would like to make eventually. Anyway, everyone was really cool and and the coach Charlie Perez is really knowledgable and friendly. They have athletes in all levels of performance so there is always a group to work with and challenge yourself. They do a cool long weekend training camp at Moab every year just before St. George. I missed it this year but I might try for it next!

Take care,

Jeff

Edited by jmac5032 2013-05-15 10:48 AM
2013-05-15 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Welcome to the club Bull! I'm with Thom about those that have and those that will. My first fall was at home with no one around, fell into the bushes and had a hard time getting up because I was laughing at myself so hard! I almost did it waiting for a parade to go by, LOTS of people around, I pulled my foot out so hard that I broke my pedal and had to scurry around picking up pieces to get it back together.

Training is still sporadic, but getting better. Hopefully the pond we start our swims in is getting warm enough to start swimming, I haven't touched the water since last fall. By mid June we should be swimming in the ocean again.

Running the Harpoon 5 miler in Boston this weekend.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!

Armondo, I'll be tracking you on your quest this weekend, enjoy the journey, hopefully we can watch when we hear them say Armondo, you are an Ironman!

2013-05-15 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4743558

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Mountaindan - 2013-05-15 11:51 AM

Welcome to the club Bull! I'm with Thom about those that have and those that will. My first fall was at home with no one around, fell into the bushes and had a hard time getting up because I was laughing at myself so hard! I almost did it waiting for a parade to go by, LOTS of people around, I pulled my foot out so hard that I broke my pedal and had to scurry around picking up pieces to get it back together.

Training is still sporadic, but getting better. Hopefully the pond we start our swims in is getting warm enough to start swimming, I haven't touched the water since last fall. By mid June we should be swimming in the ocean again.

Running the Harpoon 5 miler in Boston this weekend.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!

Armondo, I'll be tracking you on your quest this weekend, enjoy the journey, hopefully we can watch when we hear them say Armondo, you are an Ironman!

Yep. I've rode motorcycles all my life an I'm always telling the cocky kids, it's not a matter f if but when...

2013-05-15 4:01 PM

User image

Denver, CO

It looks like the Denver Triathlon was cancelled for June and moved all the way out to September....Good thing I never registered!

I will be doing Boulder Sunset-Oly on June 1st instead. All signed up and ready. Its a quick turnaround from this weekend's race (2 weeks) but I start 70.3 Boulder training this week anyway. I am good and ready to start training for the longer stuff again. I was pretty tired of speed work for 5k's!!!

2013-05-18 8:41 AM
in reply to: jmac5032

Armando finished swim! They say the skies are overcast, at least he does not have to worry about heat. Will check again in couple hours

2013-05-18 12:52 PM
in reply to: tukutuku

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Took me a second to find Armando - his bib number is 2651 - the numbers are transposed on his earlier post.

He is past the 56 mile split on the bike. Looks like he is going strong.
2013-05-18 12:57 PM
in reply to: sundevil87

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Jeff,

Just saw that Without Limits had to cancel the bike portion of the Summer Open. What did you end up doing? Did you race? Total bummer.

Thom
2013-05-18 2:11 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Hi Thom,

Yeah it was absolutely a last minute cancellation of the bike leg. I got the notification last night at 7PM. They ended up offering a .5 mile swim/ 5K run or a 1 mile swim and a 10k run.

I went ahead and did the .5 mile swim and 5k run. I figured it was still worth my time to at least get some OW practice and transition as well. My race report is up. I ended up 5th in the 35-39 age group and 18th overall. That age group was pretty stacked! Anyway I still had a lot fun and am definately pumped for June 1st over in Boulder for the Boulder Sunrise Olympic. Then I can finally say I have done a triathlon!

Jeff
2013-05-18 3:55 PM
in reply to: jmac5032

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Armando is off the bike. Put up a 6:21 bike - awesome! Go Armando - run strong.
2013-05-18 9:28 PM

Armando,
Congratulations, Ironman! You did it!

2013-05-18 11:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Armando - "You - are an Ironman!" Way to go! Proud of you.
2013-05-19 11:02 AM

User image

Denver, CO
Outstanding job Armando!
2013-05-20 4:55 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Congrats Armando.
2013-05-20 5:11 AM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Tri number three is behind me. Finished 1:54:03, 3rd in my AG. First open water swim, my times little better. I swallowed a bucketload of saltwater, must have been from a boat wake or something. Went to take a breath and this big wave washed over my face at the time I was inhaling. I tried to swim through it but I was coughing and choking real bad. I decided the best thing to do was just stop and tread water until I regained my composure and quit coughing. It was hard to watch all those people swim right by me. After a couple minutes I started back swimming , the bike ride was a bit faster than my average, but this was a straight level fast course, smooth roads no hills. My goal was to knock this one out, didn't happen. For the first half of the ride I was still coughing from the salt water, the second half finally got into my stride and picked it up some. The run was dismal. My worst time ever, again on a course that I intended to bust out, straight and flat. During the run, i simply ran out of gas. II think I may have overtrained, focused too much on the swim, and that mouthful of saltwater seemed to take a lot out of me. I also realize that if I'm going to continue doing this I have to get a better bike. I'm riding a cheap road bike. I don't know if a better bike will help my times that much, but I'm pedaling and working as hard as anybody else out there and during the bike ride people pass me like I'm standing still. If nothing else, a better bike, or at least one that's geared differently maybe I won't expend as much energy, use more of my hamstrings, and save my quadriceps for the run. My next is a fun Tri. It's right here in my hometown, consists of a 10 mile bike ride, 8 mile kayak, down the cape fear river and 3.1 mile ride. The bad part is it's in two weeks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22