General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM or IM race day supplies--bike specific? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-02 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: HIM or IM race day supplies--bike specific?

Alot of great discussions on training, nutrition, racing, and recovery--but what about race day supplies, particular the bike segment Iam talking about.  What do you typically carry with you? Spare tube for clincher wheel, spare tubular tire, tire wrench, Co2 cartri., crackpipe (disc wheel setup), ect. Also, how do you all carry/store this spare equipment? All in a smaller bag behind seat, velcro and/or taped together under seat, ect? Figured all this time, money and such put into getting to race day, we might as well be prepared in the event of a flat.

I noticed a couple of articles, persons mentioning also carrying a small razor blade? I personally run tubulars on race day. Razor blade.........to cut the tire and get it off easier and quicker? Iam confused here.

For those of you who have had the misfortune of getting a flat on race day, what do you do with the flat tire/tube? Fine the nearest trash can, roll it up and stick it in back pocket of jersey?

All suggestions and/or photos of personal set-ups welcome on this thread.

2013-01-02 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4557406

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: HIM or IM race day supplies--bike specific?

I'm a big proponent of keeping it simple.

Here is my race day setup:

Sprint & Olympic - Torpedo or Torhans water bottle in the bars with a little bit of calories.  That's it.  I don't carry spares or anything else.  I have an "in it to win it" mentality for shorter races so I'm not going to take the time to fix a flat so I'll DNF if/when I ever get a flat.

IM & HIM - Torpedo or Torhans water bottle between the bars and another cage on the frame (that rarely gets used).  I just grab Perform or water as needed from the course.  I have a Trek Speed Concept with the draft box.  I put 1 spare tube, 2 tire levers and 2 CO2 cartridges in there.  I also tape another spare tube under my seat.  For an IM I will put another tube and CO2 in my bike special needs bag... just in case of emergency.

I have been lucky in that I only had one flat in a race and that was less than two miles from the bike finish so I didn't stop.

Tubulars make things a bit more difficult for obvious reasons.  I use clinchers so I can't give you any advice there.

I have both a Hed Jet Disc and a Zipp 900 Disc.  I don't need or use a crackpipe for either.  Paying attention to what bike pump, CO2 inflator  and tubes you use can make the crackpipe unnecessary.  That and some Dremel surgery on my Zipp 900.

2013-01-02 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
tigers75 - 2013-01-02 7:41 AM

how do you all carry/store this spare equipment? All in a smaller bag behind seat, velcro and/or taped together under seat, ect? Figured all this time, money and such put into getting to race day, we might as well be prepared in the event of a flat.

How do you carry this on training rides? At some point you will be training with the same or similar set up as race day.

I just use the same small saddle bag with two tubes two cartridges, a Presta/schrader adapter and a small piece of rubber as a boot, whatever hydration system I chose for the distance and off I go. I currently have a profile aero-bottle and two cages for longer distances but I don't use those much, leave them empty but available if I want to stash a hand up there.

2013-01-02 2:46 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I ride on clinchers not tubulars so my setup is a little different but I always (train and race) with a small saddle bag that has 2 co2 cartidges, a spare tube, tire lever, and small inflator nozzle.  The nozzle is kind of shaped like a crackpipe so will work well with disc too.

If I'm doing an IM, I'll put a few extra cartridges and another spare tube in my special needs bag.

I've never had the misfortune to flat on race day but I'd just fold up and stuff the old inner tube back in saddle bag.  I could also stuff in a back pocket too.

2013-01-02 2:47 PM

User image

It's pretty amazing what you can fit into a ziplock bag and then tape under your saddle to keep it out of the wind.

As far as tubulars...I carry a can of pit stop at the minimum.

2013-01-02 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I carry Hutchins and pitstop and Stan's gunk with extra co2 for IM when I use tubular. My theory is that a hole that would be too much for the pitstop is unlikely. I'm not sure why tubular riders prepare for major tire damage while clincher uses don't.

2013-01-02 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I carry the same flat kit items racing as I do for training regardless of distance.  I've got a saddle bag with 2 tubes, 2 co2, tire levers, small multitool, small pocket knife, zip ties, and 2 $1 bills to cover small holes in a tire.

I've debated getting the behind the rear bottle holders and stuffing everything in a bottle but I've seen too many bottles fly off the back during races. I can't tell if it causes any aerodynamic penalties but my saddle bag is no lower than a rear bottle holder would set.

I probably carry too much for a race but I'd rather have some extra tubes and such than to sit around waiting for a sag wagon to eventually show up.  BTW, the dollar bills are magic if you get a slit in a tire just big enough for the tube to get pinched in it.

Edited by csharp1171 2013-01-02 9:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM or IM race day supplies--bike specific? Rss Feed