General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to Cross Country Ski near Philly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-02 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: Places to Cross Country Ski near Philly?

OK, REI had a garage sale this past weekend, and I scored some discontinued XC skis.  Haven't skied since high school, and that was only a few times, and downhill.  Never XC before, so I'm looking to learn, and hopefully get some good cross training in this winter.

Searching the interwebz, I've found that most PA state parks allow for XC skiing when conditions permit, but anything with any maintained trails is pretty far north of me (Delaware county)

So for now I'm planning on going to a local park to start falling down, and then try to fall less.  Do people get out on the MUP along the drives, or SRT when there's enough snow?  Realizing it's a different set of muscles, how do the mileages compare between running and skiing?  In other words, what's equivalent to a 5 mile run while skiing?  Seems you're a bit faster on skis, but also working the upper body more.

Now all we need is some snow in Philly...

2013-01-02 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4557671

Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Places to Cross Country Ski near Philly?

I would just go to a local park, or heck even a golf course is probably fair game.

Luckily, there is a 35 acre meadow at the end of my street so I go ski there, weather permitting.  

2013-01-08 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4557671

User image

Regular
Wayland, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Places to Cross Country Ski near Philly?
IF it snows in Philly (enough for x-country skiing, at least), Belmont Plateau is a pretty good location, with varied terrain, and is minutes from Center City.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to Cross Country Ski near Philly? Rss Feed