General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT BAND issues 12 weeks til first half marathon HELP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-04 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: IT BAND issues 12 weeks til first half marathon HELP
Hey guys,
I have this very annoying IT BAND pain in my left knee only. It comes and goes out ta nowhere. Last year I had it and took 3 months off and now slowly started back up. I was averaging 3 miles 2-3 times a week and on my last 3.5 mile run it started back up. I run in vibrams. I took it slow easing back into them. I was doing so good and then my it band started up again. I worked on core, hip, butt strengthening during my off time and like 2 times a week currently. I thought it was due to weak hips butt now my hips are very strong. When I try the resistance band I first used with them its like a flimsy rubber band and the current one is like a new one. I think my butt and core are still too weak compared to everything else. But I only know one butt exercise and not very good core ones. Is this my problem now. My hips are too strong for my core and butt. Should I stop working on my hips and up my butt, core exercises. My training plan has me running 3 miles 3x a week in about a week. Should I continue that or what. I don't want my mileage to drop.

2013-01-04 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4561678

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: IT BAND issues 12 weeks til first half marathon HELP
Even though the pain is at the knee, it could be coming from tightness in the hip, especially since you said you have been working on the hips. Use a foam roller from hip to knee on that side and see if that doesn't help.
2013-01-04 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Well I have been doing yoga and resistance band for my hips. Lateral side step with band and pigeon pose, etc in yoga. So iI thought that would be good. The pain is definitely my it band, theres no question about that. I will stretch it more though and see if it helps. Honestly. I just think its a combo of a weak core and butt muscles. I sit a lot of the time and my stomach always makes gurgling sounds. It started doing this as I started to run more. Any other help. For now I'm gonna back off mileage and work my butt and core. I think its the best thing I can do. I do have a jumper knee strap which minimizes the pain a lot so I could use that as a final resort but I want to fix my problem.
2013-01-05 8:29 AM

User image

New user

The foam roller will make a HUGE difference.  They even have them at Walmart.  Large foam roller.  Use it EVERY day.  I had the exact same problem with my right knee.  It was my IT band being too tight.  My friend is a doctor and she does IM tris too, so I knew she was understanding what I was talking about with my knee pain.  She sent me over to PT, and they used a foam roller.  I got one and have not had trouble since.  I make sure I use it after every run too. 
2013-01-06 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the help. I agree the foam roller is amazing. It worked great for me at first. But now I guess I deve/loped a tolerance for it or something and it doesn't hurt when I do it. So its not working like before. I think ink there is permanent damage done to it and some tears that can't be healed. I. Should have read into it more, but the main cause of my knee pain right now is my weak core. I thought it was my hips and I strengthened those but now my weak core /abs and weak butt are pulling at it again. So I'm working those and foam rolling but the foam roller just doesn't work like it used to. I also think I was uppi ng my mileage too fast which will do it. So I pretty much solved this I think. We will know when my half marathon is if. my core strengthened and butt compared to ever ything else so my it band giant doing all the work. Thanks.
2013-01-06 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the help. I agree the foam roller is amazing. It worked great for me at first. But now I guess I deve/loped a tolerance for it or something and it doesn't hurt when I do it. So its not working like before. I think ink there is permanent damage done to it and some tears that can't be healed. I. Should have read into it more, but the main cause of my knee pain right now is my weak core. I thought it was my hips and I strengthened those but now my weak core /abs and weak butt are pulling at it again. So I'm working those and foam rolling but the foam roller just doesn't work like it used to. I also think I was uppi ng my mileage too fast which will do it. So I pretty much solved this I think. We will know when my half marathon is if. my core strengthened and butt compared to ever ything else so my it band giant doing all the work. Thanks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT BAND issues 12 weeks til first half marathon HELP Rss Feed