BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-05-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4725146

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: RE: Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open
Ok, i played hookey from work today so i could take my bike out.  I had to make it worth my while, as my husband's away for a few days and so i can't do my normal workouts as its just me and my 5 year old at home.  First mega-brick today.  I figured I should really get a feel for my new bike, so I went out to Baden and back... 22km of nothing but BIG FRIKKIN HILLS.  There are three gravel pits out that way, so needless to say, my adrenaline was pumping, trying to navigate around all the debris on the road, plus figure out how to shift and not burn my finger tips on my tire!  lol.  I only had to bail on one hill and walk it up for about 2mins before hopping back on.  This time it was my legs screaming, not my lungs, so i'm chalking that up to conditioning success!  Making progress.  Got back and intended to go right away for a little run, to work on the lead legs, but my mother in law called, so I got a 15 min break.  Then I ran.  I planned what \i thought was about a 4k route (race is 5k), and just did what i could.  I tried to stay relaxed and just work on getting through it.  After the first 15 minutes, I was just running out of steam, so I ended up walking more than I would have liked.  But at the end, my route plotted out to be 4.8K and my pace was faster than some of my regular everyday training runs!  So surprised!  And when I plotted out my bike route and time, my pace came out to being over 3km/h faster than my race last year on my mountain bike.  That was cool to see too!  So feeling more confident now having done the toughest two legs of the race, at race distance.  Noted that I definitely have to put some work into some mental toughness and not just wimp out when the going gets tough... want to be able to push harder than I did today.  Hopefully a few more bricks in the next couple of weeks will improve my running stamina too.  Got a report... the race lake is up to 60* with three more weeks to warm up, so it'll be darn cold, but no iceburgs or anything.  Have a great weekend folks!!

Edited by pilot_e 2013-05-03 3:23 PM

2013-05-03 11:08 PM
in reply to: #4563355

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Excellent, Erica!  You make me want to go buy a new bike!  But you would hear the "SMACK" my wife puts on me all the up there!

Me and the guys at work managed to work ourselves....well, out of work.  Everything completed in two days instead of four.  Now I'm off until Wednesday!  Good for training but bad for my checkbook!  Still freakin' cold (50*F is cold in Texas).  I'm going this weekend to check out the bike route for my Sprint next weekend.  MapMyTri is showing over 5K elevation gain and I just don't believe it.  Lord, I hope not!

Everyone have a great weekend and get some miles logged!!

2013-05-06 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4726911

User image

Veteran
Kitchener

Just how big IS Texas?? My aunt is down in San Antonio and has been complaining of being too hot on her walks for about the last week!

Hope the training went well this weekend.  This is my last 'build' week before race taper starts, according to the schedule (not like next week's ride of 63 mins is much of a taper).  Was going to ride to work today, but managed to completely deflate my tires with my hand pump this morning... wow... they are quite different from the mountain bike schrader valves, eh??  I'm such a loser! HA.

2013-05-06 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4729032

User image

Baton Rouge
pilot_e - 2013-05-06 9:41 AM

Just how big IS Texas?? My aunt is down in San Antonio and has been complaining of being too hot on her walks for about the last week!

Hope the training went well this weekend.  This is my last 'build' week before race taper starts, according to the schedule (not like next week's ride of 63 mins is much of a taper).  Was going to ride to work today, but managed to completely deflate my tires with my hand pump this morning... wow... they are quite different from the mountain bike schrader valves, eh??  I'm such a loser! HA.

I remember getting used to the presta valve tires and doing the same thing! Ha! I totally slacked last week training wise, only made it to the pool twice. Found out today my swim coach/friend is moving in a few weeks too *tear* I'm hoping this week I'll be more focused and will begin looking for another swim coach.
2013-05-06 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4729856

User image

Veteran
Kitchener

I remember getting used to the presta valve tires and doing the same thing! Ha!

Thank goodness I'm not the only one! So sorry to hear about your friend moving away!  that sucks.  Good luck wtih your search.

Edited by pilot_e 2013-05-06 2:30 PM
2013-05-07 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4729885

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Rode my bike to work today, about 10K. It was actually pretty awesome!  Felt great by the time I got there, even with a big pack on my back.  Felt *slightly* more stable than last ride, but still have a long way to go as far as stability getting my hands off the bars to shift... moving my right hand is not so bad... moving my left is a bit of a nightmare!  Practice, practice practice!!

2013-05-07 11:10 AM

Nice bike congrats . Good to see that your ridding It to work you'll get more comfortable real quick. I meet with a local tri club here in Stockton and signed right up. Looks like its going to be a good fit for me they meet 2x a week to train on different things and have a hand full of pros and college tri Athletes. They also have a few beginners like myself so I feel real comfortable. Took a rest day yesterday but sat and sun went pretty good I swam 1,000 meters with 150 to 200 meter intervals cuz that's as far as I can go rt now. And in the afternoon bikes 15 miles and transitioned to a 5 miles run at a 7.55 pace. I was pretty much dead after but was real happy to be able to complete the run under 8min mile. Sun I didn't swim I biked 15 and ran 5 miles again. I plan on breaking up my swim bike and run this week and stretching out the miles a little more. I'm sure what I'm doing isn't the proper way to train but I meet with the club fri to get a better plan on how to train. Hope everyone is doing well
2013-05-07 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Sounds like y'all are rolling right along with the training, nice!  I'm in a tapper for the my sprint this weekend, *yawn*.  I just can't get into it mentally!  Good thing it's a $25 sprint and not a $180 half!

Erica, Texas is big!

Have a great week!

2013-05-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4731489

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
For the love of Pete... I hope this is some kind of meteorological joke by the weather people...

(capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
capture.JPG (20KB - 17 downloads)
2013-05-09 8:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Haha!  That just ain't right!

We have thunderstorms all day then it cleared off with blue sky and 70*F.  I got in my last speed drills for the bike and run, to heck with the swim.  I'll wing it!  Sprint tri Saturday morning!

2013-05-09 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4735863

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Whoop!  Have a great race!!!!

2013-05-09 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4731489

User image

Baton Rouge
HelmoAlkou - 2013-05-07 1:02 PM

Sounds like y'all are rolling right along with the training, nice!  I'm in a tapper for the my sprint this weekend, *yawn*.  I just can't get into it mentally!  Good thing it's a $25 sprint and not a $180 half!

Erica, Texas is big!

Have a great week!

Almost race day! :-)
2013-05-09 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4735279

User image

Baton Rouge
pilot_e - 2013-05-09 1:40 PMFor the love of Pete... I hope this is some kind of meteorological joke by the weather people...
Man, that's just sooo wrong!
2013-05-10 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4735863

User image

Baton Rouge
HelmoAlkou - 2013-05-09 8:42 PM

Haha!  That just ain't right!

We have thunderstorms all day then it cleared off with blue sky and 70*F.  I got in my last speed drills for the bike and run, to heck with the swim.  I'll wing it!  Sprint tri Saturday morning!

Can't wait to hear you're race report! Kick some butt!!
2013-05-11 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Well, it didn't happen.  Picked up my packet last night, packed all my gear, and went to bed early.  When the alarm went off at 4:15 (like it has for the last three days) I just rolled over and said, "I don't want to".  I have no excitement or drive about this race whatsoever.  It's a beautiful morning, blue sky, no wind, and 63*F.  So I'm going to get some work done in the yard and relax today Wink.

Have a great weekend!!

2013-05-11 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
I'll teach me to blow off a race.  2h16m, 39 miles on the bike.  Now that felt good!!!

2013-05-11 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4737999

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Nice!! Great redemption for the body and soul!
2013-05-13 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4738057

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
It snowed all day yesterday.  Yell  That is all.
2013-05-13 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4739658

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
pilot_e - 2013-05-13 9:43 AMIt snowed all day yesterday.  Yell  That is all.
Wow! That's crazy wrong. You're racing in two weeks?
2013-05-13 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4737999

User image

Baton Rouge
HelmoAlkou - 2013-05-11 5:12 PMI'll teach me to blow off a race.  2h16m, 39 miles on the bike.  Now that felt good!!!
Awesome! At least you did something that made ya feel good :-)
2013-05-13 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4739658

User image

Baton Rouge
pilot_e - 2013-05-13 9:43 AMIt snowed all day yesterday.  Yell  That is all.
Holy smokes!! Any chance they cancel the race?

2013-05-13 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4740980

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
doubt it... It wasn't enough to stay on the ground, just toy with our emotions!  but apparently the lake is up to 60*C.  Got my swim on tonight... no traffic jams so was finally able to get through the race distance non-stop.  Beat my time of two weeks ago by 5 minutes.  Wha-hoo.  Feeling a little behind as my little one has been sick and i've missed a bunch of workouts this past week, but going to just try to get the rest in over the next two weeks. 
2013-05-15 6:45 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
I almost forgot I have a duathlon this weekend. It wasn't on my schedule until about a week ago. Just going to kinda play it by ear. I'm still trying to conquer the swim haha Contemplating joining a masters class now that I'm less sucky. Still have a ways to go but I'm getting there.
2013-05-16 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4744471

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Monty-- are you ok?  Just read about the storms in your town.
2013-05-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Well, the BT face lift is complete!

Yes, we're all good. Thank you! I was surprised that you heard about us up North until I found out we were national news. All I can say about the last few days is, "WOW!". We escaped any major damage to our house although we're right in the middle of the subdivision that got hit. We had two windows broken out, most of our fencing and trees are gone. One of which landed on my daughters car. Inside there's glass everywhere from the windows. Quiet a bit of water, foliage, and small debris came in one window but it was in our large dining room where the floor is tiled. So no water damage! Our neighbors and us came out best of everyone in our division. Many lost some or all of their roofing which lead to flooding. Some lost walls and sections of their homes while way too many were completely destroyed.

The utility companies simply amazed me. Those guys where showing up even before daylight, there where lines down everywhere. We were cutting a tree out of the house, turn around, and a new utility pole with a transformer would be up. No kidding, they replace at least 15 poles and transformers the first day on the main street into our area. We went 2-1/2 days without power and I really thought it would be a week. Volunteers from all over came to help, more on the second day but they were much needed. Our family of four worked for two full days, sun up to sun down, just on our yard and we're still not finished. And like I said, we were lucky.

Something a little funny. As we talked about gathering flash lights, phones, and water in our designated storm room (laundry room) I bought my bike though the house. And they wouldn't let my bring it in!!! Can you believe the nerve? We laughed and joked right up to the point when all you could hear was the deafening "freight train" sound of the tornado outside, large debris smashing into the house, and windows giving way. It's not my first tornado but it was my biggest and the first for my kids. The fear in their eyes was the most heart breaking couple of minutes I've known. Knowing there's absolutely nothing you can do but hold on.

My neighbor was the first to bang on my door then we went to other houses, door by door, checking on people. It was staggering to see the damage when the sun came up. Then to find out there wasn't one major injury or fatality. I'm a little sad today because I know some of the close bonds of friendship that have been made will slowly disappear over time with the return of our electricity, air conditioners, and TV's.

Erica - Do you have a race today?? Post the results and I'll try to get back on soon to check it out. If it's tomorrow... Go Get Em!!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2013-05-18 4:06 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 18