BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-01-29 5:09 AM
in reply to: #4598285

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open
HelmoAlkou - 2013-01-28 3:46 PM

Thanks!!

1) Here's a link to the plan I'm using.  One note: This was coming off of a 70.3 HIM in Nov so I didn't start on week one.  Roughly you could say I've done the last 12 weeks of the plan.  After graphing my actual vs planned I have to admit I fell short more times than I thought.  

Plan

actual vs planned

2) I use mostly HR then pace.  I watch both very carefully.

3) Probably my biggest downfall.  I've never done a full LT test to see exactly where I am.  But I generally use formulas, RPE, etc.

Yes, 20 min warm up, 2 x 60" race pace, 5" rest was part of the plan.  I added an extra 60" because 2.5 hours seemed really low for this close to the race.

I understand what you're saying and sure appreciate the advice.  Most of my long runs are, have been, at a slower pace to build endurance.  I'll continue with that and do my long run on Wed as a progression (rain in the forecast for tomorrow). 

Not sure if you can access my planned calendar or not.  After this week, trapper, is mostly shorter endurance or speed drills until race day.  It's been a good plan overall.  I wonder if it's more for someone who's put in a marathon or two and not for a first timer.

Ah... I see. A brief primer on training stress: We improve our fitness by increasing training load over time (and recovering from the increased load). There are three primary ways to increase training load - adding time (doing the activity for a longer period), adding frequency (doing it more often), or adding intensity (doing the activity "harder").

This plan appears to rely more on frequency and intensity than on duration - which is probably why the plan has you doing those longer runs at higher intensity but shorter duration than some other marathon plans might.

So, if you feel like the plan is working for you, then you can probably stick with the prescribed long run, but don't try to add an extra hour at race pace! If you want to run a little longer, that would probably be okay, but tone the intensity down. At this stage of the game, running significantly longer probably isn't going to do much to add to your fitness for race day, and may actually set you back. Running a bit longer at a lower intensity might give you a little peace of mind/confidence. I would suggest no more than 3:30, though, and keep the pace slower if you want to run longer.

Do you have any recent-ish stand-alone running race results with pace & heart rate you can post? That might help with setting up a pacing plan for your marathon.

2013-01-29 5:11 AM
in reply to: #4596756

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
barrykristi - 2013-01-27 4:18 PM

Hello Jenny,

I would love to join your group. I sort of live in the sticks in Oklahoma and it's really hard to find training partners. I did my first tri last year (Route 66 sprint) and i loved it. Even though i'm a teacher by profession, i'm more of a "doer" instead of a planning-type individual. That's why i need support from racers with more experience- especially with workout and race planning. I just recently purchased a base model carbon tri bike (Quintana Roo) and now i'd like to justify that purchase by doing an olympic distance race. Thanks for your consideration.

Barry Hughes 

Welcome aboard, Barry! Do you have any specific races targeted for 2013?
2013-01-29 5:27 AM
in reply to: #4598966

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
polkadotti - 2013-01-28 11:20 PM

Hi--

I am totally new to this, and decided that a tri might be a great goal for me this year.  I have ZERO experience with it, absolutely none.

I am a 48 year old female, who still has the drive to do this.  Ran 6 miles yesterday. 

The good news is that I can run, I can bike and I can swim.

I am currently a Registered Nurse, so I work three days a week (very long days), but it does give me more flexibility than most to train.

Currently, I have been trail running and I work with weights.  I work out 4 times a week.

Weight loss:  This is a killer for me.  I want to lose 30-40 pounds.  I need to lose 20 minimum, and I have had a terrible time finding the right combination to get it off.  I would like to focuse on a more vegan diet, (though I am not 100% there yet).  I bought a Vitamix at Christmas and have come up with a few vegetable/fruit combos that are delicious. As an example, I have logged quite a few miles of running/hiking, combined with weight training and have been monitoring my intake pretty closely, and yet virtually nothing has happened. 

Goals for 2013:  I would like to run a Tri in mid March.  It is a Sprint.  It is possible?  Yes, I think it is.

I need help!  That is what makes me a good mentoree.

Welcome! Glad to have you!

Yes, the weight loss thing can definitely be a challenge - and I think it's even more so for us women as we age and hormonal factors - ummm - change...

I'm not a dietician or nutritionist, so I can't really dole out specific dietary advice, but I can share a little bit of what has seemed to work for me, personally....

1) Logging food intake and activity was very helpful for me as a way to keep an eye on calories in vs calories out. When trying to loose weight, I shoot for ~ 500 calorie deficit per day. Try not to let the deficit be much more than that or you might end up sabotaging yourself because your metabolism might slow down to try and preserve energy.
2) Eating more frequent smaller meals or snacks throughout the day seems to help keep the metabolism going.
3) Trying to eat in a way that avoids blood sugar spikes - i.e., include a little healthy fat and/or protein with meals or snacks that are higher in carbohydrates. Higher fiber foods help too.

Those are a few tips, anyway... But as I said, these are just things that worked for me... If anyone else has tips for weight management, please chime in!!
2013-01-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4563355

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Jenny - Thanks for the comments and info.  The last running race I did was this same venue last year but the HM.  Avg pace was 7:51 - avg HR 163.  That plan had me doing longer slow runs and only running 4-5 times a week.  So yes, I see what you're saying about the difference in the two plans.  I guess I was comparing them and my OCD kicked in.  If you ever feel like saying, "Stupid. Calm down, stick to the pan, and stop over-thinking it" feel free to

This is the last race of my season.  I've done an Oly, HIM, now a Marathon all back to back and really need some time to rest.  I'm not looking at another race until May and it's a Sprint.

Thanks again...

Now, off to the store to buy a new keyboard.  NOTE: Do not shake your shaker bottle over the keyboard unless you know the pop-up lid is secure.

2013-01-31 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
You guys are quiet!  There must be lots of training going on!  
2013-01-31 11:55 PM

Hi there Jenny, I am hoping your group is still available to join? 

A little about myself, I am a 20 year old student studying Pharmaceutical Sciences. I have always led a very active lifestyle from hiking, dancing, horseback riding, biking and on and off running in the past. When I was in grade 6 and 7 I remember our elementary school organizing a triathlon that all students were able to participate in. I think this sparked an interest for me that I am finally turning my attention to. I participated in the "iron kid" distance which was short in comparison to a normal triathlon but it was still an awesome experience. 

Now fast forward almost 10 years and I am finding myself at a new point in my life where I no longer have horses to train or dance classes to take. This school year is the first time I have thought about seriously training for a triathlon as well as a half marathon. I started more seriously running over the summer in the Unfortunately something happened to my foot(a recurring soft tissue injury that the doctors can't seem to diagnose...)so I have been unable to run for a couple months now. This was the point where I turned to swimming (in December). I have never been a swimmer, however I did do swimming lessons as a kid and teen. I think my foot injury has really allowed me to realize that I enjoy swimming so that has been another deciding factor in my desire to compete in triathlons. I have also been an avid cyclist over the past year and a half, unfortunately my bike was stolen at school just 2 months ago so I have resorted to indoor spin classes until I can find an alternative! 

Basically right now I am currently swimming 3-4 days a week, strength training 2-3 days a week, spinning 5 days a week and doing very short and easy runs 1-2 times a week to rehabilitate my foot.  

I am currently looking into bikes for the upcoming summer season because I really do miss riding outside! I was always biking everywhere during the summer! My goal includes completing a half iron man in the near future, however i know that I will need a few shorter distances under my belt to get the hang of it!

Thanks! 

Sylvie

2013-02-01 7:06 AM

User image

Morristown, NJ

Started my training plan this past weekend, but...I ended up getting sick this week so I re-entered my plan to start again tomorrow!  Also, I just signed up and paid for my sprint tri on 6/15 so hopefully the germs stay away as I really start this weekend.

One question, does anyone have any recos on an indoor trainer?  I would like to do as much winter training with my bike as possible since it will be a couple of months before I am actually outside on it.

2013-02-01 7:06 AM

User image

Morristown, NJ

Started my training plan this past weekend, but...I ended up getting sick this week so I re-entered my plan to start again tomorrow!  Also, I just signed up and paid for my sprint tri on 6/15 so hopefully the germs stay away as I really start this weekend.

One question, does anyone have any recos on an indoor trainer?  I would like to do as much winter training with my bike as possible since it will be a couple of months before I am actually outside on it.

2013-02-01 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4598966

User image

Morristown, NJ
I am looking to move to a plant based diet while I train as well.  I am not there yet either!
2013-02-01 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4603870

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
ssngeorge - 2013-02-01 7:06 AM

I purchased this trainer last spring and it seems to be holding up well.  It's 22% off on Amazon right now.  I shopped and shopped because most I thought were really expensive.  Don't forget to buy a riser for your front wheel.

Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer

Sunlite Forza Riser Block

Disclaimer:  I bought my first road bike 11 months ago and my first trainer 9 months ago.  I'm no cycling expert!

Eating green is good!  Green leafy foods are like burning the high octane fuel instead of the cheep stuff in your sports car.  And, it's estimated that 80% of people with allergies are allergic to grain foods and don't know it.  Just don't leave out the proteins!  Remember:

Carbs = fuel

Protein = soft tissue growth and repair

2013-02-01 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4603736

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
fraser13 - 2013-02-01 12:55 AM

Hi there Jenny, I am hoping your group is still available to join? 

A little about myself, I am a 20 year old student studying Pharmaceutical Sciences. I have always led a very active lifestyle from hiking, dancing, horseback riding, biking and on and off running in the past. When I was in grade 6 and 7 I remember our elementary school organizing a triathlon that all students were able to participate in. I think this sparked an interest for me that I am finally turning my attention to. I participated in the "iron kid" distance which was short in comparison to a normal triathlon but it was still an awesome experience. 

Now fast forward almost 10 years and I am finding myself at a new point in my life where I no longer have horses to train or dance classes to take. This school year is the first time I have thought about seriously training for a triathlon as well as a half marathon. I started more seriously running over the summer in the Unfortunately something happened to my foot(a recurring soft tissue injury that the doctors can't seem to diagnose...)so I have been unable to run for a couple months now. This was the point where I turned to swimming (in December). I have never been a swimmer, however I did do swimming lessons as a kid and teen. I think my foot injury has really allowed me to realize that I enjoy swimming so that has been another deciding factor in my desire to compete in triathlons. I have also been an avid cyclist over the past year and a half, unfortunately my bike was stolen at school just 2 months ago so I have resorted to indoor spin classes until I can find an alternative! 

Basically right now I am currently swimming 3-4 days a week, strength training 2-3 days a week, spinning 5 days a week and doing very short and easy runs 1-2 times a week to rehabilitate my foot.  

I am currently looking into bikes for the upcoming summer season because I really do miss riding outside! I was always biking everywhere during the summer! My goal includes completing a half iron man in the near future, however i know that I will need a few shorter distances under my belt to get the hang of it!

Thanks! 

Sylvie

Welcom Sylvie! Glad to have you! Bummer about your bike being stolen!! That really sucks!!

Do you think you're going to try for that Half Ironman in 2013, or is that a longer range goal?

2013-02-01 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4603870

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ssngeorge - 2013-02-01 8:06 AM

Trainers - There are basically two types of trainers you can consider - magnetic or fluid. Magnetic will be a little cheaper, but they tend to be noisier. Fluid (supposedly) gives a more "road-like" feel - but I'm not sure you would notice the difference that much.

I personally prefer a fluid trainer. Kurt Kinetic and Cycleops are probably the best fluid trainers out there. They're definitely more expensive than magnetic, especially new, but if you keep an eye on ebay, you could probably pick one up for ~ $200.

I highly recommend TrainerRoad for high quality effective bike workouts on the trainer...
2013-02-01 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4604808

User image

Veteran
Kitchener

Trainers brings up an interesting question.  I have two choices...

a) borrow my friend's trainer and work on my biking in the garage over the winter... I only have my old mountain bike, as i'm borrowing a road bike from my friend when she's too pregnant to ride it anymore (likely not until May or so), quit the gym where i'm doing spin classes and put that extra money into a swim pass at the local pool

Or

b) keep up with spinning classes at the gym until the loaner bike frees up

Which would you recommend?  Ride a real bike (albeit an old mountain bike) or keep spinning at the gym?

Edited by pilot_e 2013-02-01 3:05 PM
2013-02-01 3:33 PM

Jenny,

I would love to join your group!  I realize January is over so I might be a bit late but I am trying to do a sprint in June and I have never done anything like this before. Thankfully I have found this website and have been taking in a wealth of information. Now i just need to get organized so I can train.  Although I have worked out I would consider my self a flat out beginner. Also I hope to lose some weight in the process.  Any guidance is much appreciated!

~SarahK

2013-02-01 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4604829

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
pilot_e - 2013-02-01 3:58 PM

Trainers brings up an interesting question.  I have two choices...

a) borrow my friend's trainer and work on my biking in the garage over the winter... I only have my old mountain bike, as i'm borrowing a road bike from my friend when she's too pregnant to ride it anymore (likely not until May or so), quit the gym where i'm doing spin classes and put that extra money into a swim pass at the local pool

Or

b) keep up with spinning classes at the gym until the loaner bike frees up

Which would you recommend?  Ride a real bike (albeit an old mountain bike) or keep spinning at the gym?

IMO, either is a good alternative for helping you build your bike fitness for now. I guess the question becomes - are you equally likely to stick to a bike training routine using either option? If you're more likely to stick to the spinning classes, then I would say keep the gym membership. If you think you're as likely to ride the trainer as go to the spin class, then you might as well save the money from the gym membership.
2013-02-01 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4604898

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
SarahKath - 2013-02-01 4:33 PM

Jenny,

I would love to join your group!  I realize January is over so I might be a bit late but I am trying to do a sprint in June and I have never done anything like this before. Thankfully I have found this website and have been taking in a wealth of information. Now i just need to get organized so I can train.  Although I have worked out I would consider my self a flat out beginner. Also I hope to lose some weight in the process.  Any guidance is much appreciated!

~SarahK

We would love to have you, Sarah! The more the merrier!!

2013-02-02 1:55 AM

New user

Amsterdam
Hi Jenny,I woud like to join your group as well.Last year I've done here in The Netherlands 3 races (2xquarter, 1x sprint), and this year i would like to do the same.I train for about 5 to 6 hours a week. In quarter races the last part of the biking and my running are hard because of tired legs and overall fatigue. I am also trying to experiment with sport gels but still looking. Do you have tips perhaps on the training and/or food?Warm regards,Bart
2013-02-02 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4605351

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
bartmaag - 2013-02-02 2:55 AM

Hi Jenny,I woud like to join your group as well.Last year I've done here in The Netherlands 3 races (2xquarter, 1x sprint), and this year i would like to do the same.I train for about 5 to 6 hours a week. In quarter races the last part of the biking and my running are hard because of tired legs and overall fatigue. I am also trying to experiment with sport gels but still looking. Do you have tips perhaps on the training and/or food?Warm regards,Bart

Hi Bart, welcome! Can you tell me what distances the "quarter" races are? I'm guessing this is 1/4 Ironman distance, or maybe what we tend to call here in the US Olympic distance (1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run).

Generally the kind of fatigue you're describing toward the end of longer events can be attributed to either poor pacing (going out to hard during the beginning of the bike) or just not having enough base fitness to sustain your effort for the duration of the race - which is not all that uncommon for new triathletes.

What does your 5-6 hours per week of training typically consist of? Are you following any kind of plan at all?
2013-02-02 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
I'd love to join this group if there is till room.

Name: Eric, but 'neuronet' here

Story: I'm 42, and did five or six sprint tris, but then had a sequence of injuries (achilles tendonopathy) and then a bad bike accident (flipped over bars) at the end of 2011, broke both radius bones, three ribs, and a bone in my hand. I'm now just getting back into training this year. Right now ramping up basic endurance to the point where I can do 20/20/40 minute swim/run/bike and then plan to do a sprint plan once I get back to this baseline. I am presently up to 15/15/22.  Yes, wimpy I know, but moving up each week!

Long-term, my goal is a sprint this year, a sprint and oly next year, and half iron the year after that.

Family: married to amazing wife, and we have a sweet 2.5 year old girl.

Current Training: I presently work out in a 3 days on, one day off schedule, one of each sport each of the days, switching between "heavy" and "light" workouts each day.

2013 Races:  July sprint.

Weightloss:  I am 6' 4", and weigh about 207. I want to weigh 195, but short term I just want to go below 200! Goal is to start eating better breakfast, and smaller more frequent meals that are more healthy than the usual. This is so easy to say, but so hard to do.

Sleep: Sleeping well does wonders for my recovery, mental energy, and general mood. Unfortunately, I am a night owl, which is incompatible with having a 2 1/2 year old, so I am pushing myself to start going to bed by 11pm for a 7am wake up. My natural sleep time is 2am, and I am presently averaging about 1145 pm.

I really hope to learn a lot from everyone here and developing a group of BT-buddies. 

2013-02-02 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4604788

Hi Jenny! 

I have been thinking about that for a while now in terms of when to do the half ironman, I have been looking up a few races that happen later in the summer such as mid-end July. I am in good shape right now, but it is a matter of having the time to train as well as making sure my foot stays up for it! I would of course love to get a few shorter distances under my belt in the near future, and am currently thinking about entering a sprint distance on March 10th at our school! I know that distance will be easy enough for me to complete with my foot on the mend as well as a good way to get an idea of the transitions between the disciplines! 

Thanks for the reply! 

Sylvie

2013-02-02 5:36 PM

Hi, my husband is a Tri guy having done a 1/2 and now will being doing a full in Panama City in Nov.  I started trying to run in Jul and have gotten up to 2 miles but swear I can walk faster than I run.  I got a road bike this winter and have been spinning once a week for a month now - I need a training program and some motivation.  I am a little afraid of failure and am pretty sure I will be slow.  I am 54 so no time like the present if I am ever going to do this.  I would love to join your group.

2013-02-02 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
80% of success is just showing up. -Woody Harrelson
2013-02-02 8:00 PM

New user

Signed up for my race yesterday!  It will be April 20th, a sprint.  Question for you all....when my training plan says 20 min swim, 25 min run I know the point is to brick the workouts (at least I think) but is it the end of the world if I do the run in the morning and the swim after work?  And also, sometimes I would rather run first then swim?  Is this ok?  Or should I try to stick with the way it will be in my race?

2013-02-02 8:34 PM

New user

ME!  Pick me pick me please!!!!! haha!  I'm so sorry for being so late in the game, but I just joined the site a couple of days ago and would love to be in the group if still open.  I started running in 2011 and fell MADLY in love with it.   I was cycling quite a bit as my cross training initially though this past summer with half marathon training put that aside for strength training and bikram.  There is a local sprint tri that I would like to sign up for.  My swimming skill is virtually none..in that I can stay afloat and doggie paddle...I can pretend to do a breaststroke.  I'm looking at the local Y for the adult basic swimming classes.  I have a mountain bike but the sprint tri I'm looking at allows for fat tire division. I'm to be honest a bit overwhelmed by the tri world.  Running was so much easier to start with...lace up head out the front door.  I feel like the tri world has a secret language that I just can't seem to decode.  So thats me in a nutshell.   I'm gonna be honest and put it out there...this non swimming, partial recreational cyclist, slow but passionate runner girl right here dreams of Ironman.  I'm not sure yet how to get there, but I think that just like everything else with dedication and hard work I can get there....so thats me in a nutshell.  
2013-02-03 1:43 AM
in reply to: #4605995

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
ltwohy - 2013-02-02 8:00 PM

Signed up for my race yesterday!  It will be April 20th, a sprint.  Question for you all....when my training plan says 20 min swim, 25 min run I know the point is to brick the workouts (at least I think) but is it the end of the world if I do the run in the morning and the swim after work?  And also, sometimes I would rather run first then swim?  Is this ok?  Or should I try to stick with the way it will be in my race?

I just signed for my first sprint of 2013 as well, it's May with an open water swim.  Being a swimmer, pool sprints just kill me!!  It will eat up my "off season" but I'm excited about this one.

I've noticed that may times, but not always, the training plan will be specific when they want you to brick a workout.  You might look ahead in your plan and see if that's the case.  Or look for your answer in the plan description.  That would be my first thought.  Otherwise, if you can't fit it into your schedule then do what you can, split it. 

Welcome Christine, adult swim class is a good idea.  But there's no seceret.  You swim, you bike, you run, then you look around and go, "Huh, I did it."

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 18