General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » What on earth am I thinking? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-27 8:30 PM

Houston, TX
Subject: What on earth am I thinking?
So I've gotten this crazy idea that maybe I could be a triathlete....oy!

I'm a 38yo mother of 3. After my last child was born in 2000, I was terribly out of shape and way overweight. I started working out at the gym and watching my diet, and in about a year I was down to 187# from 241# (I'm 5'10").

I've maintained that weight loss, give or take 10#, but not the fitness level. I never totally abandoned exercise, but I quit working out as much. I finally decided that I want to lose more weight, about 25#, so I re-committed to working out. I've been hitting the gym 2X/day, nearly every weekday, for the last 3 weeks, and I'm minding my diet closer. (I've managed to lose a few pounds already, and I'm seeing my strength increase on the weight machines.)

Losing the weight and keeping it off is a great accomplishment, I know, but I'm ready for something more. I'll turn 40 in a year and a half. There are so many things I've wanted to do, like rock-climbing or backpacking through the desert, that I've never done. I just want to DO SOMETHING.

And maybe completing a triathlon will be just the ticket!

I'll be modifying my workouts (beginner level) tomorrow morning.....

Avi

2006-06-27 8:43 PM
in reply to: #468042

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: What on earth am I thinking?

BIG congrats on your decision.  You will find a bunch of us here with a similar background.  You are amongst friends! 

BT was designed for people like you and me.  Welcome.  Enjoy!  Good luck!

Edited by Writebrained 2006-06-27 8:43 PM
2006-06-27 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Edmond, Oklahoma
You go girl!
You are already doing great! Keep it up!
2006-06-27 8:56 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hey Avi,

Congrats on the weight loss and your commitment to changing your lifestyle.  That's what is is all about!

All of us here became crazy at one time or another and decided to become triathletes too for various reasons.  I'm 41 and when I started all of this was in the worst shape of my life and weighed 205.  In Jan of 2002 my daughter thought it was more fun to bite than suck and my wife had enough, so my wife & I started "getting back into shape"!  I'm now a fit 170 have done several triathlons and run races and am working on Half Ironman training for a race this November. My wife ran a Half marathon last Nov and is addicted to spin classes and running.  These weren't even conceivable 2 years ago.

You'll find training will have the usual up and downs.  I've stopped and started again too many times over the years but since this past December have been pretty consistent barring injury and illnesses that occurred.  Over on the Challenge Me discussion topic you'll see various challenges that have been done over the past 6 months that have helped me stick with it, swimming in Dec, Running in Feb, Multi sport in April & May and Biking now in June.  It really helps to have the support and encouragement of your peers here on BT and a training plan that you can use as a guide to keep you progressing. 

Best of luck and feel free to ask away, we all did!

Don

2006-06-27 9:36 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Yeah, what where you thinking??  I'll take a stab at answering that:

You MIGHT have been thinking that you needed to set a B-HAG (Big Hairy A$$ Goal)  for yourself and you DID just that by choosing triathlon.  In choosing triathlon you are already ahead of the couch dwellers and weekend warriors. 

Or perhaps by committing to a training plan to reach physical fitness goals for yourself, you subconciously wanted to be THE role model for you kids.

Of course that's just what I can come up with on the spur of the moment.

Congrats and you WILL reach your goals.  Get ROCKIN and Keep ROCKIN!!!

Signed,

250lbs at Christmas and 228lbs as of this morning.

2006-06-28 7:44 AM
in reply to: #468106

Houston, TX
B-HAG (Big Hairy A$$ Goal)

OMG that is too too funny!

Thanks for your replies.

Well, I rode the stationary bike this morning for 30 minutes instead of the elliptical trainer. Wow, my legs were tired when I was done! But it felt great! I've avoided the bike over the years because of a tendency for knee issues, but they're healthy right now and I'm taking it slow.

I'll go back at lunch and lift weights. (I don't have one block of time long enough to do abs & cardio at once. This routine seems to work for me.) I'm modifying my routine according to the beginner's schedule for couch commandos. I normally do arms & back on MWF, and legs & abs on TTh. The schedule on the website indicates only one workout per muscle group per week, except for abs. Am I interpretting that right?

Thanks,

Avi

2006-06-28 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
WAY TO GO!  I wish more people had your attitude!  I have tried to get several of my friends(some fit and some not) to join this madness but no one seems too interested.  It's very disappointing.  Luckily, I've found so many people who love this sport(online and in my area).  Starting to do tri's is the most exciting and  thing I have done since I can remember.  Keep it up!

2006-06-28 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Welcom to BT, Avi!  Way to go working out 2x/day with 3 kids...WOW!  You've actually inspired me already to know I can do that to once the kiddies come along!  Tri training is a lot of fun just because of the variety in workouts.  It never really gets too boring, especially when you throw racing in!  Keep up the good work!
2006-06-28 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
welcome to the group i just finished my first tri and let me tell u once u do one you get hooked
2006-06-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: #468644

Houston, TX
I am really lucky in that I have a flexible work schedule and my company has an on-site gym. So I go there before work, and then again at lunch.

Avi
2006-06-28 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Welcome to the lifestyle and welcome to BT. Last year I was about to turn 40 and decided I was going to do something crazy like a triathlon. The problem is that when you do "a" triathlon you want to keep doing more. This sport is just plain fun and full of really good people, especially on BT. Yes there will be hard days, but remember to have fun & enjoy the process!

2006-06-28 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Welcome to BT! You'll find once you get started...you're hooked! That's all it took for me! I thought, well it might be fun and I'll get back in shape after my baby was born. Now it's close to obsession! I just did my first sprint and I'm already feeling the urge for another! It's craziness, but it's fun! Good luck with your training! You've already got a head start on alot of beginners!

Mindy
2006-06-28 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
I know what you're thinking... You're thinking, "This triathlon thing looks like fun! It's got to be the coolest sport in the entire world!" ...and you'd be right!

Becoming a triathlete isn't such a crazy idea. Look at all of us...we did it! You're next!

Just a warning to you: This sport is addicting. Like others have said, once you finish one, you'll want to finish another...and another and... you get the idea. Just watch what it does to your grocery bill, too!!

Anyway, welcome to BT!
2006-06-28 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Free Tip (and worth every cent you paid for it):

Mary - get familar with the log function and inspires.  By logging your workouts and having others check in on you from time to time....you'll find yourself with an extra measure of motivation.  Also, check other's logs.  They are great sources of inspiration and info. 

Good Luck! 

2006-06-28 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

I am a (almost) 37 year old mother of three (last one born in 2001)- so we were on similar life plans...

anywhoo...what I have learned is that "a fit mom is a powerful mom" (stolen from Moving Comfort) ...in so very many ways.

I am going to share one poem with you from Womens Bodies Womens Wisdom- which is a must for all of you moms out there...

"In a society preoccupied with how best to raise a child, I'm finding a need to mesh what's best for my children with what's necessary for a well balanced mother. I'm recognizing that ceaseless giving translates into giving yourself away, you're not a healthy mother and you're not a healthy self. So now, I'm learning to be a woman first and a mothee second. I'm learning to just experience my own emotions without robbing my children of their individual dignity by feeling their emotions too. I'm learning that a healthy child will have his own set of emotions and characteristics that are his alone. And, very different from mine. I'm learning the importance of honest exchanges of feelings because pretenses don't fool children, they know their mother better than she knows herself.

I'm learning that no one overcomes her past unless she confronts it. Otherwise, her children will absorb exactly what she's attempting to overcome. I'm leaning that words of widom fall on deaf ears if my actions contradict my deeds. Children tend to be better impersonators than listeners. I'm leaning that life is meant to be filled with as much sadness and pain as happiness and pleasure. And allowing ourselves to feel everything life has to offer is an indicator of fulfillment.

I'm learning that fulfillment can't be attained through giving myself away but, through giving to myself and sharing with others. I'm learning that the best way to teach my children to live a fulfilling life is not by sacrificing my life. It's through living a fulfilling life myself.

I'm trying to teach my children that I have a lot to learn because I'm learning that letting go of them is the best way of holding on...

So, if you want to do a triathlon...do it!

2006-06-29 8:04 AM
in reply to: #468940

Houston, TX
WOW.

Thank you so much. I REALLY needed to read that this morning.

Avi

2006-07-03 9:29 PM

I too had a crazy idea, may I present my case and the evidence
This may convince you otherwise and encourage you. My vitals
2003 81kgs- size 16 (uk), children- 2, exercise background - couch potatering, triathlons? - 'is that the name of a new chocolate bar?'
2006, age 42 years, 53kg, size 8 (uk) children 2, exercise- swimming (learnt to swim), running, x-biking (similar to spinning), weights, road cycling. Triathlons? 1, in a respectable time of 1 hr 2 mins.

I REST MY CASE. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET YOUR RUNNING SHOES ON AND GET GOING LADY!
Good luck and keep posting (when you have time)
Tracy

p.s. if you are crazy that makes the rest of us crazy too! Welcome

Edited by Toska 2006-07-03 9:41 PM
2006-07-06 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Congratulations on your decision to TRI! We all have our own reasons for choosing triathlon so don't feel like your reasons are too "crazy". Training and completing your first tri is within your reach and you will be happier and healthier as a result.

I am a mother of 2 small children and I am nearing 40 so I decided to start training and I finished my first tri in May. I have two more planned for this year and I am totally addicted to the training - it is also good for the kids to see a healthy lifestyle! Just remember to have fun along the way and ask questions if you need to.

Do take some time to read through some of the articles and info on this site...totally AWESOME stuff! Welcome and best of luck in your training.
2006-07-08 3:59 PM
in reply to: #473224

User image

Master
brummie land

Toska - 2006-07-04 3:29 AM I too had a crazy idea, may I present my case and the evidence This may convince you otherwise and encourage you. My vitals 2003 81kgs- size 16 (uk), children- 2, exercise background - couch potatering, triathlons? - 'is that the name of a new chocolate bar?' 2006, age 42 years, 53kg, size 8 (uk) children 2, exercise- swimming (learnt to swim), running, x-biking (similar to spinning), weights, road cycling. Triathlons? 1, in a respectable time of 1 hr 2 mins. I REST MY CASE. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET YOUR RUNNING SHOES ON AND GET GOING LADY! Good luck and keep posting (when you have time) Tracy p.s. if you are crazy that makes the rest of us crazy too! Welcome

i was about to tell half your story for you toska. i met toska last w/e at our first tri, not knowing she was a fellow bt-er. a true inspiration and what a body!

good luck on your new goal and enjoy it!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » What on earth am I thinking? Rss Feed