General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuting Lessons Learned Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-08 7:51 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: Commuting Lessons Learned

Hey guys,  I figured I'd start a thread of lessons learned in commuting that we can add to over time.

I've been commuting since September fairly regularly about 17 miles each way.  Lots of hills going each way, traffic in the downtown area, weather, etc.  The main lessons to start off are:

-Seat Bag Kit/Tire Change Kit includes: Tube, CO2, Valve adapter for the CO2, Tire Levers, $20.  I keep the $20 in there so I can get a cab to either a bike shop if it's open or to my house.  Cabbies don't like taking credit cards...

-Lighting is crucial.  I have a great cateye rear and front headlight on my bike and then I have an Energizer headlamp (they sell them at Home Depot) on my helmet.  I have a red flasher (like you wear for running) on the back of my helmet attached to the Energizer strap.  I loop the strap through the vents on my helmet.  I like the headlight because I can use it to shine at drivers who are pulling into the road in-front of me.  If I see their face, then I know they see my headlight.

-Neoprene Gloves are great on days like today.  Rainy, 42 degrees, miserable.  They kept my fingers pretty warm, but not dry.  

-I started on look pedals (the big triangle ones) but switched to spd pedals when I bought some mountain bike shoes thinking it would be better to walk through a building after a ride in mtb shoes.  Just this week, I switched back to the look pedals and cleats because my heels had been hurting lately.  I don't think I'll ever go back.  I will probably keep the mtb shoes and cleats only for my mtb and spin classes.

-On Rainy Days, I have a yellow rain slicker that was about $12 from Gander Mtn.  It is like wearing a trash bag, but in the cold and rain, it's perfect.  Gore Tex is fine, but as soon as you wash it, you lose some waterproof qualities.  Wash it every week and it is no longer waterproof.  I learned that in the Corps.  The Gumby-Suit rain slickers can just be tossed and replaced 10 times for the cost of one Gore.  

-I make a chart each week for the days of the week and what day I plan to ride, drive, when I need meals, and what clothes I need to bring-in on what day.  Then I pack in the amount of clothing I need in my car.  That has worked pretty well for me.

-Luckily, I have showers at the office where I work, but I recommend checking with bike shops in urban areas if you work in an urban area.  Mellow Johnny's (Lance Armstrong's Bike Shop here in Austin) has a commuter locker room, showers, and they'll hang on to your bike for the day for $1.  There are two bus stops at the shop too, so that's pretty sweet.  Ride in, shower, ride bus to your office.  

Again, I meant this thread to be additive.  So please add your lessons learned as well. 

2013-01-08 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4567572

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Commuting Lessons Learned

Don't bother with light weight bikes, tires, tubes, etc. Reliability and robust design are the hallmarks of good commuting bikes. Slime Tubes, thick, wide tires, high-spoke-count wheels with rims that are bombproof are what you want.

Always have a back-up lighting plan. Even if it's an extra 3-LED strap-on helmet light, it could save your ride in to work (or back home).

2013-01-08 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4567587

User image

briderdt - 2013-01-08 8:00 AM

Don't bother with light weight bikes, tires, tubes, etc. Reliability and robust design are the hallmarks of good commuting bikes. Slime Tubes, thick, wide tires, high-spoke-count wheels with rims that are bombproof are what you want.

Always have a back-up lighting plan. Even if it's an extra 3-LED strap-on helmet light, it could save your ride in to work (or back home).

Great point.  I have a steel '96 bianchi and roll Gator skins on that bad boy at about 85-90 psi.  Save the super-duper for the tri-bike.

2013-01-08 9:00 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4567707

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

For side visibility, these are GREAT:

http://www.bikeglow.com/

2013-01-08 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4567587

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

briderdt - 2013-01-08 9:00 AM

...Always have a back-up lighting plan. Even if it's an extra 3-LED strap-on helmet light, it could save your ride in to work (or back home).

And if the backup doesn't work keep cash/credit card on you.  I was running home from work (about 10 miles) one night last spring, thought I'd be OK and make it home in daylight.  Didn't bring any lighting.

Stopped in a CVS on the way home, picked up an $8.00 LED flashlight, worked great for the rest of the run home, which finished in complete darkness.

2013-01-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4567707

wgraves7582 - 2013-01-08 9:00 AM

Be cordial - if a driver waits for you to pass or gives you extra space - wave and smile at them - let them know you appreciate their act of kindness (yes it is a law but we all know how it works out in the end!)

This one works the other way too.  

Be cordial even to people who are jerks to you.  They're driving a 3,000 lb people crusher.  You're on a steel/aluminum/carbon fiber you mover.  

I know it's hard, but I have been getting better that when people honk even when I'm in the right, I just give them a wave and keep riding.  No yelling, no middle fingers... Those just start stuff.  

2013-01-08 9:42 PM

Champion
Frisco, TX

better an extra mile or two than a trip down a busy street in rush hour - work your route over and don't be afraid to explore different routes...  you will eventual land on the ideal way to get to work.  the route home may be different....

2013-01-08 10:03 PM

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Being cordial is very important. You also need to be able to claim your space in a lane if necessary. I've found that cars give me more space if I'm not right against the curb. If they think they can squeeze by you, they will try to. Coming up to stop signs or traffic lights, I will frequently take a whole lane to myself so that everyone knows I'm there. If I have to turn left at a big intersection and there's a left turn light, I pick a car towards the front and ride right next to that car. 

It's just what I do. I feel like it makes me be seen.
2013-01-09 7:18 AM

Expert
Falls Church

x2 on all the lighting and safety stuff.

I am dedicated year-round bicycle commuter.  18 miles round-trip. 

I have lots of lights and always keep a spare battery charged for my main headlight.

Over the years I've picked up great winter gear at thrift shops.  A old merino wool layer for the really chilly days is perfect.

The commute is my main bike training.  So some days I push it.  Other days I don't.  The last thing I want is to not look forward to my bike commute.

2013-01-09 7:31 AM

Expert
Falls Church

Here are my commuting lessons learned...

Intersections:  Make sure you know that cars turning see you.  If possible make eye contact with driver.  Early in my commuting days, a driver was looking right at me but through me...didn't see me at all until the last minute.

Intersections:  Don't push the lights...there are too many cars who run the light at the last minute.  Have seen quite a few close calls.

Feet:  Neoprene shoe covers in the winter.

Hands:  Lobster claw gloves in the winter.

Lights:  Red in back, white in front, one on the helmet.

Panniers:  One with clothes to change in, the other with all the other stuff we bring to work.  I have DIY panniers made out of birdseed buckets.  I'm pretty sure I am known as the "bucket lady" on my commute route.

Chat:  It's nice to chat with fellow riders if the opportunity presents itself.

Heat:  There are times when it is too hot, humid, and dangerous to do a full commute.  Be self-aware on this. 

Cell-phone:  Always have charged cell phone to call if you need picked up because it is too hot, it starts to snow just after you've headed home, it starts to thunder/lightning/hail/torrential downpour, you have a flat and can't fix it, etc.

Road Rules:  Follow the rules of the road.  Don't be the jerks who ride up between lanes at a stop light and then cut in front of right turning traffic.

Clothes:  Rolling clothes helps keep wrinkles out.

Wool:  An old merino wool sweater (maybe from a thrift shop) is a great layer for really chilly temps.

The most important:  Have fun and look forward to your bike ride every day.

2013-04-04 9:18 AM

Hard to find a spot for this so I figured I'd attach it here.  Great set of rules.  Some of them legitimate, some funny.  I presume we all violate at least 4 of them. 

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuting Lessons Learned Rss Feed