General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1...Shoes Already Attached? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-01-09 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4568756

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: T1...Shoes Already Attached?
I have little doubt that having the shoes attached and a flying mount is the way to go IF you are an expert at this technique and are in the hunt for a podium spot.  With that said, I am not really interested in this because the above conditions do not apply to me and I am far, far more concerned about not injuring myself or others during the bike mount part of the race coming out of T1.  I am starting to practice getting my feet out of the shoes prior to dismounting coming into T2.

2013-01-09 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Chris McCormick, one of the most decorated Triathletes ever, nearly caused a major pile up in Kona this year doing this. For many people, it can be some trouble. I always come out of my shoes/leave clipped in on the way into T2 and this saves time etc. Depends on transition area/distance/condition of surface determines clipping in prior to race. Some races prohibit clipping shoes in etc.
2013-01-09 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4569243

User image

Expert
Left Brain - 2013-01-09 12:20 AM

japarker24 - 2013-01-08 11:16 PM

C_Hassard - 2013-01-08 5:42 PM

Clipless already attached

Over rated!

It depends what event you are racing and what distance.  I watch races in which 1st-20th place are decided by less than 90 seconds.  Go ahead and take some time to put your shoes on and run with them through transition.  

For the most part you are right....but it's another tool (sometimes clearly needed)...you either have it or your don't.

This is the flip turn drama of the bike, you either have it or you don't!....I can't do flip turns or have my shoes clipped in
2013-01-09 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4569622

User image

Pro

taylorz13 - 2013-01-09 8:42 AM Chris McCormick, one of the most decorated Triathletes ever, nearly caused a major pile up in Kona this year doing this. For many people, it can be some trouble. I always come out of my shoes/leave clipped in on the way into T2 and this saves time etc. Depends on transition area/distance/condition of surface determines clipping in prior to race. Some races prohibit clipping shoes in etc.

Experts in every type of race have crashes.......it's racing.  What is over-rated is the idea that doing these types of mounts cause huge problems and bad injuries.  They don't. 

2013-01-09 9:05 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I have not mastered flying mounts, but I do the dismount with leaving shoes clipped in!
2013-01-09 9:57 AM

User image

Personally, I might shave a few seconds off in the transition itself, but I would loose those seconds and a few more in a less efficient start at the bike. I prefer to put shoes on in the transition, run with shoes on, and do a partial flying mount, where I can start pedaling efficiently right away. If you look at my results, it is clear that T1 is faster, but its harder to see the difference on the bike portion.

2013-01-09 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

From my observations this saves more time for men than women...  Just based on ability to run in bike shoes.  I think wearing high heels prepares you better for running in bike shoes.  I'm always amazed at the guys that look like they are walking on hot coals in their bike shoes.  I'd like to think my college years helped me with this- being tipsy in heals on cobblestones really gave me some skills that I can leverage.  I don't do it and have pretty quick transition times.  I think visualizing and planning your transition will gain you more if you're not already doing that. 

(Then again I hate the log jam at the mount line of the people who do this and execute poorly.  Always go as far away as possible from the barefoot people at the mount line.)

2013-01-09 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4569018

matcrawf - 2013-01-08 9:13 PM

KateTri1 - 2013-01-09 12:28 PM How many seconds exactly does one save with a flying mount? 

Exactly how many seconds do you spend in transition putting your shoes on?  If you eliminate this, it's the maximum amount of time you can save.  

Couldn't there be saving in how fast you can run with you bike barefoot vs cycling shoes. distance of the the run from you T1 area to the mounting area would be a variable.

2013-01-09 12:14 PM

User image

Oakville

Personally, I had my shoes attached for almost all of my races in 2012 (mostly Sprint distance) but in the end felt there was no significant time advantage.

The time lost putting the shoes on in T1 vs the time I spent fumbling with the straps while on the bike was likely a wash. 

Maybe I saved a few seconds with the shoes preclipped as at least I was moving forward, but there were a few tense moments that could have ended badly.

Simon Whitfield's crash in the Olympics made me rethink this approach.

I have seen others who can do it flawlessly but its not worth the risk in my opinion.

2013-01-09 12:54 PM

User image

I have done this on all my races with great success by watching youtube videos and then practiced a couple time prior to racing. Using elastic bands to secure in place works for me and once I start to pedal they simply break away and fall off. 
2013-01-09 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Cowpens, SC
Yeah i liked being clipped in already until my last 2 races of last year. The first race right out of T1 there was a Massive Hill and it was hard to crank like i wanted to right out of the gate and the day before the 2nd race i was practicing my mount and i drove my mounting foot into my gear and had three deep cuts in my heel that had an affect on my running for the next days race...... So lately I've been putting my shoes on just to ease my nerves

2013-01-09 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Do I just race with people who don't know how to do it?

I don't leave my shoes on my bike and I pass those who do.

I wear my shoes out of T1.  I hop on the bike and I am clipped in within 2-3 pedal strokes.  That means that I am completely ready to ride about 20' and 4 seconds from the mount line.  

I always pass people about 400m from the mount line who are slowing their pace and fidgeting with getting their feet in their shoes or adjusting their straps.  They are 1/4 mile into the ride and still getting settled in.

Of course it takes a few seconds to put my shoes on in transition but I don't see any time deficiency in doing so.

I do pull my feet out and leave them on top when approaching T2 and run barefoot into transition...

It just seems like everybody I pass in the first 1/4 mile are people working on getting into their shoes.  I guess I just don't see the benefit.

edited to add:  I do use SPD pedals that can mount from either side so that may change mountability.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-01-09 3:18 PM
2013-01-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4570572

User image

Pro
lifejustice - 2013-01-09 3:11 PM

Do I just race with people who don't know how to do it?

I don't leave my shoes on my bike and I pass those who do.

I wear my shoes out of T1.  I hop on the bike and I am clipped in within 2-3 pedal strokes.  That means that I am completely ready to ride about 20' and 4 seconds from the mount line.  

I always pass people about 400m from the mount line who are slowing their pace and fidgeting with getting their feet in their shoes or adjusting their straps.  They are 1/4 mile into the ride and still getting settled in.

I do pull my feet out and leave them on top when approaching T2 and run barefoot into transition...

It just seems like everybody I pass in the first 1/4 mile are people working on getting into their shoes.  I guess I just don't see the benefit.

You don't pass all of them.

2013-01-09 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well...when I leave transition with somebody who does it...they pass me initially...and then I pass them.  It is probably important to note that at any time during that race, it is pretty much guaranteed that they WILL pass me again because I am not fast.  I don't claim to be a better cyclist than anybody...but I find clipping in more beneficial *for me*

Here is my video from a sprint I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRY2xvJS1TU

Pause at 0:17, and there are 2 riders (blue jersey on right and black/white/blue crossing in the center)who do the "feet on the shoes method".  unfortunately I didn't put everything in the final video, but I end up passing them 0:35 seconds into the video.

....needless to say, they both passed me as they are faster and I stopped for 2 minutes to throw up in a ditch.  --No more creatine-containing supplements for me  :D

2013-01-09 3:39 PM

User image

As said before....easier to put them on in transition, but faster to leave them on.     It all depends on your perspective.   It's much easier to practice for 30 minutes on pick up 30 seconds on the transition than it is to run 10s/mile faster on the run though.....free speed.

2013-01-09 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4570619

User image

Pro
lifejustice - 2013-01-09 3:30 PM

Well...when I leave transition with somebody who does it...they pass me initially...and then I pass them.  It is probably important to note that at any time during that race, it is pretty much guaranteed that they WILL pass me again because I am not fast.  I don't claim to be a better cyclist than anybody...but I find clipping in more beneficial *for me*

Here is my video from a sprint I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRY2xvJS1TU

Pause at 0:17, and there are 2 riders (blue jersey on right and black/white/blue crossing in the center)who do the "feet on the shoes method".  unfortunately I didn't put everything in the final video, but I end up passing them 0:35 seconds into the video.

....needless to say, they both passed me as they are faster and I stopped for 2 minutes to throw up in a ditch.  --No more creatine-containing supplements for me  :D

Brother, trust me on this, we are talking about two completely different kinds of racers.

2013-01-09 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was just replying to the OP's post.  Go back to the original post.  I'm not in a * match with anybody here.  You can not agree, and that is absolutely fine.  To say that I am wrong because I'm not racing the right people is just wierd.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-01-09 4:24 PM
2013-01-09 4:56 PM

When I was getting T1 set up in my first ever sprint, I clipped my shoes in, tied them real pretty with rubber bands, and then noticed as I was racking the bike, the shoes were on the wrong side!

2013-01-09 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4570702

User image

Pro

lifejustice - 2013-01-09 4:21 PM I was just replying to the OP's post.  Go back to the original post.  I'm not in a * match with anybody here.  You can not agree, and that is absolutely fine.  To say that I am wrong because I'm not racing the right people is just wierd.

I didn't say you were wrong, I  don't care how you race.  My point in this thread, and you were on the other side, is that keeping your shoes clipped in and a flying mount is faster through transition 1 when done properly....it just is.  The people in your example don't have a clue what they are doing.

2013-01-10 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4569243

User image

Regular
Chicago Area

If you're not comfortable with the "flying mount", you can still pre-clip your shoes in and jump on the bike at the start line, as you normally would with shoes on.  In other words, you're not running with the bike when you get on.  You just stop for a brief moment, swing your leg over, and slide your foot into the forward shoe, then push off with your other foot and slide that foot into the other shoe once you are moving.  It's different from a flying mount in that you aren't moving when you swing your leg over and jump on the saddle.  I do this now and it seems to work fine.  Just make sure you don't do this right in the middle of the road and block other riders.  I stay to the side and out of others' way.  It's not as risky as the flying mount and yet I don't have to run through transition with my speedplay cleats on, risking premature wear on the cleats if it's a concrete transition or getting debris jammed in there if it's a grassy transition area.  Oh, and I do use tri-clips to keep the pedals in the correct position, making it easier to find that first shoe when I swing my leg over the saddle.

2013-01-10 9:40 AM

User image

Master

I think the OP said they had SPDs. If you have the type of shoe that the clip doesn't protrude underneath, I don't see that you are losing much time in T1.

Running in Looks or other shoes that have a protruding clip is slow.

Having the shoes clipped into the pedals means that even without a flying mount, you are moving when you put your shoes on. This should save time if you practice. 

2013-01-10 9:46 AM

User image

Pro

I think part of the problem that people run into is that not everyone is mounting the same way.  Lisa made the point about flying mounts not being allowed at some WTC events.....and my guess is that it just minimizes the chance of crashes at the start.  When some folks are standing still as they mount their bikes and others are running, it can get stupid if there are enough people hitting the mount line together.

I watch alot of ITU races where everyone is running and mounting......T1 is smoking fast when you get a group of people who are really proficient and you'll lose time you can't afford if you stop anywhere.

2013-01-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4571723

eliwashere - 2013-01-10 9:40 AM

I think the OP said they had SPDs. If you have the type of shoe that the clip doesn't protrude underneath, I don't see that you are losing much time in T1.

Running in Looks or other shoes that have a protruding clip is slow.

Having the shoes clipped into the pedals means that even without a flying mount, you are moving when you put your shoes on. This should save time if you practice. 

This is the only reason I am considering trying this method this season.  Last year I used SPD pedals and mountain bike shoes.  It's pretty easy to run in MTB shoes in T1 and T2 plus mine had three straps with one being the ratchet style.  I recently purchased road pedals and tri bike shoes.  They are difficult to walk in so I will be practicing this in hopes of using this season - especially in races with long transition runs.

2013-01-10 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
C_Hassard - 2013-01-08 5:42 PM

From what I know, going from swim-to-bike, a lot of triathletes already have their cycling shoes attached to their pedals, so they don't have to worry about running out of T1 with the cleats.

My question: What's easier?  I'm asking for a sprint triathlon, so I'm trying to save as much time as possible. I've never attempted this so I'm just curious as to what you prefer.

Clipless already attached or deal with running out of T1 with SPD cleats?

Also, the transition area isn't like an Ironman or anything. Very small. If that were the case, I'd for sure have them attached already. 

The shorter the race, the bigger the percentage of time you save by having them attached.  The actual time saved is pretty much going to be the same regardless of the race, but the shorter the race, the bigger impact.

It's not so much the running in the shoes that's the benefit, it's the time it takes put them on, secure them, and then get them clipped in.  Because you can do all that stuff while riding.  

I attach them in sprints and olympics, anything longer and I put them on in transition.  (this is assuming you're not wearing socks for those distances). I wouldn't run in socks, that early in the morning, they're likely to get wet running on grass.

2013-01-10 4:33 PM

User image

Delco, PA

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Very helpful.

A lot of mixed decisions from all you guys, but it seems most prefer the flying mount.  One thing everyone agreed on: practice.

I've decided to just practice the flying mount, and if it goes well (after much practice, of course), I'll use it in a race.  If not and I just can't get it down, I will do what jsnowash suggested, as I know I can do that.

jsnowash - 2013-01-09 6:23 AM As others have noted, if you practice and master the technique, it can definitely save you some time in T1. Note that it's not necessary to do a "FLYING" mount to save time. Here's the technique I use: 1) Run/jog to mount line with bike. 2) Place my left foot on top of left shoe (clipped into the pedal), and push off with the right foot/leg. 3) Swing right leg over the bike as it begins to move forward and place right foot on top of right shoe. 4) Take a few pedal strokes to get the bike moving forward with a little momentum, both feet still on top of the shoes. 5) When there's enough forward momentum to coast, reach down & slide one foot into one shoe & strap it up. 6) Take another few pedal strokes slip the other foot into the other shoe. Repeat the process in reverse to leave shoes clipped to the bike heading into T2. It's actually not all that hard with a little practice - but make sure you practice and can do it smoothly before you try it in a race. One thing to make sure of is that you can hold your line and keep your focus on the road and others around you while you slide your feet into (or out of) the shoes. If you drift to the side while you're doing this, you could ruin not only your own race, but someone else's!

I really do appreciate the responses from everyone and happy I decided to join the site. Thank you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » T1...Shoes Already Attached? Rss Feed  

of 3