General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Cycling focused, triathlon curious Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-13 12:31 PM

Subject: Cycling focused, triathlon curious
I haven't been much of an athlete most of my life, but started going to the gym in the fall and cycling the last few years. I'm enjoying myself and I'm thinking ahead to what I'd like to do next. I'd like to do at least a metric century ride this coming summer, and now I am considering a triathlon. I don't know if I will like it or not. My weakest portion right now would be the swim. I do know how to swim and everything, but never competitively.

What distance should I try first? There is a .5/15/3 mile event near me in June. 

How much gear should I invest in? There are tri suits available for $50-75-ish right now (Astek, Pearl Izumi, Aerotech). June here may be a little chilly, but not bad - I have wetsuits but not a tri specific one. Do I need aero bars on my road bike?

2013-01-13 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4576123

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Cycling focused, triathlon curious

Netdewt - 2013-01-13 10:31 AM I haven't been much of an athlete most of my life, but started going to the gym in the fall and cycling the last few years. I'm enjoying myself and I'm thinking ahead to what I'd like to do next. I'd like to do at least a metric century ride this coming summer, and now I am considering a triathlon. I don't know if I will like it or not. My weakest portion right now would be the swim. I do know how to swim and everything, but never competitively.

What distance should I try first? There is a .5/15/3 mile event near me in June. 

How much gear should I invest in? There are tri suits available for $50-75-ish right now (Astek, Pearl Izumi, Aerotech). June here may be a little chilly, but not bad - I have wetsuits but not a tri specific one. Do I need aero bars on my road bike?

Hi there.  That distance sounds reasonable for your first.  For your first one, I wouldn't invest in a lot.  Definitely don't need aero bars.  You don't necessarily need a tri suit either, just some close fitting shorts and top.  Regarding the wetsuit--tri specific are thinner, especially in the shoulders to make them easier to swim in.  You could try renting one for your race.  I would recommend renting it a couple times to try it on and try it out on a swim.

Definitely get into the pool and start practicing right away, that is where most of us struggle the most.  There is a lot of great resources here--check out the Beginners link at the top left of the page--just under the "Programs" tab.  Tons of info there to get you started.  Good luck and welcome to BT!!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Cycling focused, triathlon curious Rss Feed