General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-13 6:44 PM

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
Subject: First Half Ironman

Hello,

I am new to the forums, and pretty new to triathlon in general. I completed my first last August, sprint distance. My whole goal has been to complete a half ironman in my hometown of Muncie, IN. I would like to compete this year, but would like some advice before I do so. Am I biting off more than I can chew, per se, in trying to compete this year? I have 7 months before the HIM, and have the intention of doing an Olympic distance in may as well. I am not in the best of shape, but I was able to train for 7 weeks to compete last year in the sprint, with pretty much no experience in the water or on the bike except for basic skills learned as a kid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can train about 6-10 hours a week, and have a decent start this month as well. Thanks for any help in advance!

2013-01-13 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4576538

User image

Indianapolis
Subject: RE: First Half Ironman
Seven months should be plenty of time, especially if your goal is just to finish. I would definitely look into a good training plan. I used the beginner HIM plan on BT for my first HIM, which happened to be Ironman Muncie in 2011. There are a couple of things to keep in mind about that particular race. It is miserably HOT! Last year, the race was actually cut to a modified olympic distance because of the temperature. The lake is like swimming in a bathtub and it is never wetsuit legal. That being said, it is a really well-run race. There are tons of volunteers and everything runs really smooth. My best advice is to get out and do plenty of training runs, rides, and bricks during the hottest part of the day to acclimated.
2013-01-14 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4576607

User image

New user

+1

7 months is plenty of time, especially if you can put in closer to 10 hours per week. Find a good plan and stick to the workouts, as there is no "winging it" in the HIM. Good luck!

2013-01-14 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4576538

New user
Indianapolis, Indiana
Thanks for the support. Yes, I was at the HIM Muncie last year, but as a volunteer. Temperature got upto 106 that day, one of the hottest days we have seen in Muncie, ever. I have already started getting some bricks in, mostly 30-40 minute rides followed by 30 minute runs. Nothing too crazy yet, as I cant just run out and do one yet, but I am planning on getting in three different races this year, the 70.3 being my biggest goal. I would like to have a respectable time, but am in no way expecting to be truly competitive on my first one. Thanks for all the kind words. Any more help or advice would be great. Thank you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Half Ironman Rss Feed