Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Regulating violent games, movies and on TV?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-15 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4579469

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Regulating violent games, movies and on TV??
mehaner - 2013-01-15 12:51 PM
crusevegas - 2013-01-15 10:00 AM
mehaner - 2013-01-15 6:39 AM
cgregg - 2013-01-14 7:26 PM

Mixed feelings.

On one hand, I understand the thinking.

On the other hand, I recall people saying that Heavy Metal music was causing their kids to commit suicide, and I'm one generation removed from kids listening to the music of the Devil - that "Rock-n-Roll" with that Elvis man that shakes his hips in public.

I think it's a white-wash. Ignoring the real problem.... some humans just aren't right in the head.   Coincidentally, pretty much every shooter of the last decade has been on some form of prescribed medication... yet, that isn't getting looked at?

there is an enormous spectrum between needing meds and shooting up an elementary school.  let's not paint with such a broad brush, please?  mental illness is plenty stigmatized and people that need help already feel completely embarassed to reach out for it.

While I agree with the main point of what you said it would be irresponsible NOT to look at BIG PHARMA and the poision drugs they push on society and our children.

Why are we not doing something about the poison these companies push onto our children?

you don't agree with what i said, at all, actually.  first, most of the examples given are NOT children.  second, these drugs actually work and are not poison for MILLIONS of people.  many could not function without them.  (are they sometimes prescribed inappropriately or irresponsibly, yes i believe so but the same could be said about any medications.  i take an asthma medication that has an adverse effect of HEART FAILURE.  it's a chance you take when you need to function like a normal person.)  third, suing wyeth or whatever pharmaceutical company you want to blame is like suing chevy when someone kills someone in a car accident.  don't you think that some mental disorders alone are enough to make people homicidal/suicidal/etc? 

I kind of understand where Cruse is coming from.  The pharmaceutical companies typically don't test these drugs on people under 18.  It's tough to do so.  They are finding that antidepressants and other drugs act much differently in the developing brain of a minor than in an adult. 

2013-01-15 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
mehaner - 2013-01-15 10:51 AM

Mixed feelings.

On the other hand, I recall people saying that Heavy Metal music was causing their kids to commit suicide, and I'm one generation removed from kids listening to the music of the Devil - that "Rock-n-Roll" with that Elvis man that shakes his hips in public.

I think it's a white-wash. Ignoring the real problem.... some humans just aren't right in the head.   Coincidentally, pretty much every shooter of the last decade has been on some form of prescribed medication... yet, that isn't getting looked at?

there is an enormous spectrum between needing meds and shooting up an elementary school.  let's not paint with such a broad brush, please?  mental illness is plenty stigmatized and people that need help already feel completely embarassed to reach out for it.

While I agree with the main point of what you said it would be irresponsible NOT to look at BIG PHARMA and the poision drugs they push on society and our children.

Why are we not doing something about the poison these companies push onto our children?

you don't agree with what i said, at all, actually.  first, most of the examples given are NOT children.  second, these drugs actually work and are not poison for MILLIONS of people.  many could not function without them.  (are they sometimes prescribed inappropriately or irresponsibly, yes i believe so but the same could be said about any medications.  i take an asthma medication that has an adverse effect of HEART FAILURE.  it's a chance you take when you need to function like a normal person.)  third, suing wyeth or whatever pharmaceutical company you want to blame is like suing chevy when someone kills someone in a car accident.  don't you think that some mental disorders alone are enough to make people homicidal/suicidal/etc? 

Sounds just like guns to me. Millions of guns have never and will never kill anyone. Sometimes they are used irresponsibly or inappropriately.

A lot more people die from meds than die from guns. So why aren't we talking about meds?

Most likely has to do with the $185m vs. the $20m Gomes posted earlier...

2013-01-15 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4579594

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Artemis - 2013-01-15 1:45 PM

Mixed feelings.

I kind of understand where Cruse is coming from.  The pharmaceutical companies typically don't test these drugs on people under 18.  It's tough to do so.  They are finding that antidepressants and other drugs act much differently in the developing brain of a minor than in an adult. 

except most of his examples (the ... in my quoted post) WERE adults.  the full article that he linked (which i read) was kind of...speculative and crazy sounding.  could have benefitted from 10 mg of escitalopram. 

2013-01-15 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4579610

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
mehaner - 2013-01-15 1:56 PM
Artemis - 2013-01-15 1:45 PM

except most of his examples (the ... in my quoted post) WERE adults.  the full article that he linked (which i read) was kind of...speculative and crazy sounding.  could have benefitted from 10 mg of escitalopram. 

Sorry, I didn't read the article.  I guess I'm making a different point (?).  I don't know.  

2013-01-15 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4579473

User image

Extreme Veteran
KeriKadi - 2013-01-15 10:53 AM
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-01-14 6:49 PM
Kido - 2013-01-14 7:30 PM

Games have ratings and can't be sold to minors.  Same with movies.  TV has ratings as well and/or parental warnings.

If parents are not involved enough to know what their kids are watching, buying, or playing, who's fault is it REALLY?

Kido, love the part I underlined and bolded.  How many parents out there have no clue what their kids are doing?  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, until the law holds parents responsible (at least partially responsible) for the actions of their children, there is no solution to the problem.  It's much easier for parents to blame society, tv, the internet, etc. for their childrens' actions.  If the parent was actually held responsible, and if the parent actually saw other parents being held responsible for the actions of their children, perhaps we'd have a viable deterrent?

If all parents took their role as "parent" seriously...and actually made it the #1 priority in their life, we'd live in a much better and safer society in my opinion. 

The regulation is already out there.  How much more do we need?

Thank you.

Laws are just a parenting cop out.  It's not that hard.  One computer centrally located in the house only in operation when parents are home. done.

How do you deal with the parents that are copping out though?  Should my child be in danger b/c another parent is not doing a good job.  How do you suggest getting other parents to step up other than legislating?  We have a problem- how do you suggest we address it? 

2013-01-15 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4579722

User image

Extreme Veteran
Moonrocket - 2013-01-15 11:57 AM

Games have ratings and can't be sold to minors.  Same with movies.  TV has ratings as well and/or parental warnings.

If parents are not involved enough to know what their kids are watching, buying, or playing, who's fault is it REALLY?

Kido, love the part I underlined and bolded.  How many parents out there have no clue what their kids are doing?  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, until the law holds parents responsible (at least partially responsible) for the actions of their children, there is no solution to the problem.  It's much easier for parents to blame society, tv, the internet, etc. for their childrens' actions.  If the parent was actually held responsible, and if the parent actually saw other parents being held responsible for the actions of their children, perhaps we'd have a viable deterrent?

If all parents took their role as "parent" seriously...and actually made it the #1 priority in their life, we'd live in a much better and safer society in my opinion. 

Thank you.

Laws are just a parenting cop out.  It's not that hard.  One computer centrally located in the house only in operation when parents are home. done.

How do you deal with the parents that are copping out though?  Should my child be in danger b/c another parent is not doing a good job.  How do you suggest getting other parents to step up other than legislating?  We have a problem- how do you suggest we address it? 

What I see as the difference in the above points and the OP is that we are talking about legislating an industry (video games or movies or TV) to completely keep these things from being available vs. creating laws that would actually provide consequences for parents if their kids cause issues. I do not know what those laws would look like or how they would look but it could work to help make parents more involved and responsible. I am not sure what scenario you are referring to in the statement "should my child be in danger b/c another parent is not doing a good job" but with a few potential exceptions, if you think a child is a bad influence or will put your child at risk, then you be a good parent and prevent your child from interacting with that negative influence. Doing that is part of you being a good parent.

2013-01-15 2:16 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Mixed feelings.

I'm not painting with a wide brush at all when I stated what I wrote.  I'm also not calling out all people on meds, all meds, or even all mentally ill.  What I AM stating is that guns don't fire themselves, period... and video games, movies, and TV don't make people do things any more than Heavy Metal music made kids commit suicide in the 80's.... but here is a commonality with ALL of those shooters and it is something that indisputably affects their thinking and the very chemistry of their brains, which is what determines their actions.  It may not even be a case of taking the meds that causes the issues, it could be as simple as someone going off their meds. 

THIS is as close to a "smoking gun" as there is, yet it is not getting the attention it deserves.

2013-01-15 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4578425

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Chris is right. There are no mentions of that commonality even though it is as strong as any to violent behavior.

I can't even find good articles about a possible link. Kinda strange.
2013-01-15 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
SoCal
If video games changed peoples behavior there would be a lot more farmers.
2013-01-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4579583

User image

Pro
Houston
riltri - 2013-01-15 12:39 PM
KeriKadi - 2013-01-15 11:53 AM

Thank you.

If only it were that simple.  There are plenty of great parents who have 3 kids where 2 turn out great and one is hell-on-wheels.  My sister and brother were model kids.  Never gave my parents one minute of trouble.  On the other hand, the only reason that I'm not in prison is that I never got caught.

My two kids' personalities could not be any more different.  One is an angel while the other has been nothing but a PITA.  Yes, there are a lot of terrible parents but there are also great parents who have evil children.

I have 5 kids and always say if you think they are all the same you haven't had enough.  With 2 boys and 3 girls I know first hand all kids are different.  Never said my kids were angels.  I will say none of them have ever been in serious trouble - no detention, principal etc.

However, my point was keeping the kids off the electronic boxes and not passing the buck is simple, not easy but simple.  Parents that say they can't control what their kids do/see/play are not doing their jobs.  It is not easy, it takes time, plenty of family and face to face time but it is do-able and totally worth it.

2013-01-15 3:32 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Moonrocket - 2013-01-15 1:57 PM

Thank you.

No idea, never said I did.  We can't control people but that is not the fault of the companies making the video games, movies, computers, phones etc. 

One thought is to hold parents accountable for their children's actions depending on age.

2013-01-15 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4579897

User image

Pro
KeriKadi - 2013-01-15 3:29 PM
riltri - 2013-01-15 12:39 PM
KeriKadi - 2013-01-15 11:53 AM

Thank you.

If only it were that simple.  There are plenty of great parents who have 3 kids where 2 turn out great and one is hell-on-wheels.  My sister and brother were model kids.  Never gave my parents one minute of trouble.  On the other hand, the only reason that I'm not in prison is that I never got caught.

My two kids' personalities could not be any more different.  One is an angel while the other has been nothing but a PITA.  Yes, there are a lot of terrible parents but there are also great parents who have evil children.

I have 5 kids and always say if you think they are all the same you haven't had enough.  With 2 boys and 3 girls I know first hand all kids are different.  Never said my kids were angels.  I will say none of them have ever been in serious trouble - no detention, principal etc.

However, my point was keeping the kids off the electronic boxes and not passing the buck is simple, not easy but simple.  Parents that say they can't control what their kids do/see/play are not doing their jobs.  It is not easy, it takes time, plenty of family and face to face time but it is do-able and totally worth it.

I agree.  We have found it to be both easy and simple....we're just not home much.  Our kids are too involved in other activities to be home sitting in front of a TV or computer.....we have pushed outside activities for them since they were old enough to talk.  We practically raised them at the local Y, and now being active and involved is all they know.  We own an X-box and a Wii system...and they play sometimes....my son has all the shoot-em-up games...so far he hasn't exhibited any violent tendencies......but I'll keep an eye out on him in case he goes rogue. 

Yeah, it's parenting.....but it's not rocket science.

2013-01-15 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4579878

User image

Expert
Central Mass

Big Appa - 2013-01-15 1:18 PM If video games changed peoples behavior there would be a lot more farmers.

They would have been too busy spending the last 25 years moving falling blocks into place to learn to farm!

2013-01-15 3:41 PM

User image

Elite
Moonrocket - 2013-01-15 2:57 PM

Thank you.

I stated clearly that when you tie the fate of the parent to the actions of the child that they created, they nurtured (or didn't), you'll have incentivized more involved parenting.

btw, someone mentioned good parents can raise "evil" kids.  I couldn't disagree with that assertion more strongly.  I've never ever seen or heard of an "evil" child.  That said, I've seen plenty of sperm and egg donors that do an incredible job of fricking up their kids' lives from day 1...and like any rule, there are exceptions...tragedies that occur at no fault of the parent or child can obviously create big problems.

btw, of course no child is exactly the same...I get that.  I'm a dad.  A "good" parent who is successful raising 2 well-adjusted kids needs to be equipped and ready to "shift on the fly" if a parenting style that may have worked with the 1st 2 doesn't work with the 3rd.   

btw, if parents actually stepped up to the plate and pledged to suffer consequences for the actions of their children, I think you'd definitely see results.  

2013-01-15 4:01 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Stephen Colbert

Stephen Colbert said it best.
2013-01-15 4:10 PM

User image

Elite

^Stephen Colbert says everything best.  

2013-01-16 4:48 PM

Master
Houston, TX
2013-01-19 8:17 PM

User image

mehaner - 2013-01-15 9:51 AM

Mixed feelings.

What I was agreeing with was the part I underlined, bolded and put in italic, we should not paint with a broad brush.

I don't think that everyone taking those drugs should be lumped into or with a group of mass murderers. I stand by my statemtnt that it is irresponsible NOT to look into those drugs in relationship to what those people I listed did.

Two things about when I used the term "children" I'm in my mid 50's have children in their mid 30's so that is my frame of reference when using the term children. 2nd the youth, people you consider children (18 & under) are prescribed anti psychotic medication at a rate of 3 to 1 of other countries. I am not trying to make any connection about our murder rate being relatively the same as our prescription drug use compared to other countries.

I understand that every thing that has a benefit as you mentioned about your meds has some negative attached, everything does without exception. One of the side effects of some anti psychotics are murderous tendencies, these are the things I consider poisonous to our youth, be you 33 or 13.

I'm not trying to say that anything should change from the way it is now, I'm for the most part very ignorant when it comes to mental illness and prescription drugs.

I do think when those who commit mass murder have a common denominator of anti psychotic drugs that it should be talked about, investigated and the media should be all over it. But they are not, they are talking about one of the lowest powered rifle bullets on the market and using dishonest reporting in an attempt to see it banned.

Now that I've said all that, I've come across a video that makes me wonder if heXX hasn't frozen over after the lil luv fest CD and I had here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpinCRaAQOk

Guns do not cause mass murder, they are just one of the tools sometimes used.

2013-01-19 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Seriously?  While I am a liberal, the content of my entertainment and art should not be government regulated.  Neither should guns be any more regulated than they are today.

Let's try regulating schools and the rehabilitation of our endangered youth.

And if you think that the government is regulating pornography, try accessing youporn on your mobile device or computer.  Unless YOU put a block of this content using SOFTWARE that YOU buy, anyone can access massive amounths of adult material.

Edited by pga_mike 2013-01-19 8:25 PM
2013-01-19 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4586425

User image

Elite
pga_mike - 2013-01-19 9:20 PM

Seriously?  While I am a liberal, the content of my entertainment and art should not be government regulated.  Neither should guns be any more regulated than they are today.

Let's try regulating schools and the rehabilitation of our endangered youth.

And if you think that the government is regulating pornography, try accessing youporn on your mobile device or computer.  Unless YOU put a block of this content using SOFTWARE that YOU buy, anyone can access massive amounths of adult material.

Dang!  Teenagers have it made nowadays.   For me to just see still-shots back then, I had to risk life and limb sneaking into my brother's bedroom to find his hidden Playboy calendar.  Yes, the journey at times ended in beat-downs...but the few successes I had were well worth it.    Women are beautiful.

2013-01-20 5:57 AM
in reply to: #4578439

User image

Pro
Kido - 2013-01-14 6:30 PM

100% agree   parents get involved then the government doesn't have to do it

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Regulating violent games, movies and on TV?? Rss Feed  

of 2