General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-07-14 7:37 PM
in reply to: BaumerS4

User image

Wisconsin
Subject: RE: First Tri
Hi everyone- Cyndi and I rode the west portion of the route on Saturday. The route change they made from last year was interesting. The part that continues south was ok as was Kraut up until the interstate. They actually did pave the section that someone had posted was gravel-thank goodness. After the interstate though- wow I thought Kraut was really bad! Those huge dips about every 5 feet and then one gravel patch but it was small but good to be aware of. It actually was so jarring that we both involuntarily changed gears because our hands hit and shifted. Oh well, it's a small portion of the overall race but wanted you guys to know. Also got in the water which was 68 and felt awesome! Temps look great for next weekend if the forecast stays as is. Hope everyone is ready to go!

2013-07-14 7:44 PM
in reply to: BaumerS4

User image

Wisconsin
Originally posted by BaumerS4

Racine will be my first triathlon, not sure what to expect. How does it work on the bike in regards to hydrating? Do the rest stops have big coolers of water/sports drink that you can ride up to and refill your bottles real quickly? I thought I saw volunteers handing out water bottles in a video of an Ironman, does that happen here?

Getting nervous, but I guess it will all be over in a week...

Hi and welcome to Racine!
The aid stations have amazing volunteers most of which will either fill your bottle when you stop for you or just hand you what you need if you yell it out well in advance if you want to keep moving. Obviously give yourself enough time to stop and pay attention around you so everyone stays upright! It can get a little crazy with traffic in and out so just be mindful of that and you'll be great. Not sure if you've read this entire thread but if you can you might get a lot of your Racine specific questions answered. Shout out with any other questions you might have.
Amy
2013-07-15 10:53 AM
in reply to: gordon_mom

I am planning to ride about a 30 mile section of the Western part of the bike course starting in Franksville at about 4:30 if anyone wants to joint me. Send a message and we can pick a meeting place and time.
2013-07-15 11:04 AM

User image

Hi!
Thanks for the info thus far! I am super pumped for Sunday! anyway I am sure this is posted somewhere but I havent been able to find it, what is the story on gear bags- Do we have them for morning clothes, bike, run? or do we put are gear out at our bike in transition? Any info would be appreciated.

Helen [bib #952]
2013-07-15 2:03 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

New user
Kenosha
HI Helen,

All the race gear (i.e. helmet, bike shoes, run shoes, fuel, etc.) will go in to transition under your bike. Space is tight, but you will have an assigned location on the rack. We rack our bikes on Saturday, but you don't HAVE to set up your transition area that day. Most folks wait until Sunday morning to set up gear in transition.

There's about a mile walk from transition to the swim start, so you will want to bring any additional fuel that you'll take in before race start.

Hope that helps!
Cyndi

2013-07-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Chicago, IL
Originally posted by mtrunner6

Hi!
Thanks for the info thus far! I am super pumped for Sunday! anyway I am sure this is posted somewhere but I havent been able to find it, what is the story on gear bags- Do we have them for morning clothes, bike, run? or do we put are gear out at our bike in transition? Any info would be appreciated.

Helen [bib #952]

I've never done Racine, but at Steelhead 70.3 all your equipment was placed under your bike in the transition area.
Reading the Racine Athlete Guide, there's no mention of gear bags or special needs bags, so I'm assuming all my equipment will be in transition.

Weather forecast looks amazing for next Sunday (I know it can, and does, change).
Is the lake temp really 74F?

Getting excited/nervous!!!

2013-07-15 2:27 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

New user
Kenosha
Hi Paul,

Not sure if the lake temp is REALLY 74, but it's darn close. Amy and I took a dip on Saturday after a long bike and run. Both of us were toasty and the water felt comfortable. It's definitely near 70, but not sure if it's as warm as 74. If the weather holds true and the lake isn't affected by the rain this week, the swim will be awesome. Sleeveless wetsuit...for sure.

Cyndi

2013-07-15 3:04 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Los Angeles
According to the wi DNR water monitoring site it was 73degrees this am. Last week was all in the mid 60s. They record at North Beach. That being said Lake MI water turns quickly. When I did racine in 2010 it was a scorcher all summer long and the water was 67 on race day. Or so they said. I swim in the pacific starting in May and it was no where as cold as North Beach...it was cooooold. I'm hoping for mid 60s water temp and a nice overcast sky.
2013-07-15 3:09 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Yeah, the forecast I saw was a high of 76 and partly cloudy.
2013-07-15 3:47 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Wisconsin
For those who want to watch the lake temps this site will forecast out a few days. Right now if you scroll you can get to Thursday. Looks like the currents cool off the temps a bit but nothing horrible. Let's hope they shift a little again before the weekend! Obsess away ...http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/lmofs/fore_temp.shtml
2013-07-15 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Will there be any organized lakes swims on Friday or Saturday? I need to get in some acclimation laps.

2013-07-15 5:51 PM

I swam on Saturday and would guess mid 60's maybe 67. As long as we don't get a string west wind lasting a few days it should stay that way. The forecast looks as good as it could possibly be for the race. I
2013-07-15 6:49 PM

I am more apprehensive about the predicted wind pattern than I am about the water temp on Sunday: Right now, Wunderground is posting 11 mph NNE winds at roughly 6 - 7AM. I am not familiar with North Beach as I am with the Chicago area beaches.
2013-07-16 7:59 AM
in reply to: Super_Rob

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Super_Rob

Will there be any organized lakes swims on Friday or Saturday? I need to get in some acclimation laps.

Can't speak to organized, but I can tell you that a fellow Texan will be there one or both days trying to acclimate as well.
2013-07-16 9:34 AM

User image

New user
Originally posted by cynner

HI Helen,

All the race gear (i.e. helmet, bike shoes, run shoes, fuel, etc.) will go in to transition under your bike. Space is tight, but you will have an assigned location on the rack. We rack our bikes on Saturday, but you don't HAVE to set up your transition area that day. Most folks wait until Sunday morning to set up gear in transition.

There's about a mile walk from transition to the swim start, so you will want to bring any additional fuel that you'll take in before race start.

Hope that helps!
Cyndi

Cyndi -

On page 11 of the Athlete Guide, under Bike Course Rules and Instructions, Item #7 states "Helmets, Bike Shoes, and other cycling gear must be placed in the provided Bike Gear Bag". Is this different than in year's past? It seems to be in conflict with what I have been reading on these boards?

Thanks,
matt
2013-07-16 10:06 AM
in reply to: Parkie

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by Parkie

HI Helen,

Hope that helps!
Cyndi

Cyndi -

On page 11 of the Athlete Guide, under Bike Course Rules and Instructions, Item #7 states "Helmets, Bike Shoes, and other cycling gear must be placed in the provided Bike Gear Bag". Is this different than in year's past? It seems to be in conflict with what I have been reading on these boards?

Thanks,
matt

HI Matt,

This is definitely something new! Last years verbiage on item #7 was "Shoes must be in the bike gear bag, placed in the athlete's transition spot, OR attached to the pedals." In all the years I've done this race, we've never received a gear bag. BUT, with Boston this year, the rules may have changed.

If the guide is correct for this year, then we are getting a gear bag which 1) we've never had before and 2) we cannot attach our shoes to the bike. This seems a little strange. So maybe the key word is 'provided'.

Hope that helps.

Cyndi

2013-07-16 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

Originally posted by gordon_mom Hi everyone- Cyndi and I rode the west portion of the route on Saturday. The route change they made from last year was interesting. The part that continues south was ok as was Kraut up until the interstate. They actually did pave the section that someone had posted was gravel-thank goodness. After the interstate though- wow I thought Kraut was really bad! Those huge dips about every 5 feet and then one gravel patch but it was small but good to be aware of. It actually was so jarring that we both involuntarily changed gears because our hands hit and shifted. Oh well, it's a small portion of the overall race but wanted you guys to know. Also got in the water which was 68 and felt awesome! Temps look great for next weekend if the forecast stays as is. Hope everyone is ready to go!

Thanks for the update! I was concerned about the new portion of the course. Hopefully that little patch gets fixed, but if not, sounds like it was better than it was previous. Thanks!

2013-07-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

New user

Chicago
Subject: And of course I'm SICK again during taper week....
Ugh...so, I'm super excited about the race on Sunday and OF COURSE, just like clockwork, I get SICK on my last week of taper. I had plans to do some light swimming, running, biking, and light bricks this week. But now I'm just going to rest and hope that I feel better on race day. Will I lose any fitness by doing this? Any help is appreciated, this happens every time, but since this is my first HIM, I'm scared it's going to cause me to suck on race day.
2013-07-16 2:43 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD

HI Helen,

Hope that helps!
Cyndi

Cyndi -

Thanks,
matt

HI Matt,

This is definitely something new! Last years verbiage on item #7 was "Shoes must be in the bike gear bag, placed in the athlete's transition spot, OR attached to the pedals." In all the years I've done this race, we've never received a gear bag. BUT, with Boston this year, the rules may have changed.

If the guide is correct for this year, then we are getting a gear bag which 1) we've never had before and 2) we cannot attach our shoes to the bike. This seems a little strange. So maybe the key word is 'provided'.

Hope that helps.

Cyndi

Last month in Kansas we were provided a gear bag but that was because it was a 2 transition race. You could put your stuff in the gear bag and they would take it to T2, but nobody HAD to put anything in the gear bag and everyone's T1 was set up like it normally would. We were able to clip our shoes onto our pedals, which I did. So I'm not sure why this would be different. Since nobody knows for sure, just make sure you go to one of athlete briefing meetings on Friday or Saturday. I'm inclined to agree with Cyndi.... maybe one is provided but not required to be used.
2013-07-16 4:11 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

New user
Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

HI Helen,

Hope that helps!
Cyndi

Cyndi -

Thanks,
matt

HI Matt,

Hope that helps.

Cyndi

Last month in Kansas we were provided a gear bag but that was because it was a 2 transition race. You could put your stuff in the gear bag and they would take it to T2, but nobody HAD to put anything in the gear bag and everyone's T1 was set up like it normally would. We were able to clip our shoes onto our pedals, which I did. So I'm not sure why this would be different. Since nobody knows for sure, just make sure you go to one of athlete briefing meetings on Friday or Saturday. I'm inclined to agree with Cyndi.... maybe one is provided but not required to be used.

Ok, but the item states the word "must" ".... must be placed in the provided Bike Gear Bag" I am definitely going to check out one of the athlete briefings, but based on the word "must", I am assuming it is not optional
2013-07-16 6:06 PM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Trek Coupon
Hey, just a FYI, last year there was a $20 Trek Coupon in the Goody bag that you could redeem right away at the Trek booth. I got a nice water bottle for a $1.

Getting Excited

Rob

2013-07-17 1:42 AM
in reply to: Parkie

User image

Los Angeles

HI Helen,

Hope that helps!
Cyndi

Cyndi -

Thanks,
matt

HI Matt,

Hope that helps.

Cyndi

Ok, but the item states the word "must" ".... must be placed in the provided Bike Gear Bag" I am definitely going to check out one of the athlete briefings, but based on the word "must", I am assuming it is not optional

Sounds like WTC does not want anyone with shoes clipped into pedals. At least for AGers. Pros it seems can. Sounds like its to shaved down on start line congestion. There is a thread about it at Slowtwitch in regards to Vineman. Could be because both Vineman and Racine starts with a steep hill the WTC is tired of people crashing.
2013-07-17 7:06 AM
in reply to: waupaca11

Planning to ride about 30 to 40 miles of the Racine course tonight starting in Franksville at about 5pm. Message me by 3:00 and we can meet up if you want to ride along.
2013-07-17 9:31 AM
in reply to: waupaca11

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Originally posted by waupaca11

Sounds like WTC does not want anyone with shoes clipped into pedals. At least for AGers. Pros it seems can. Sounds like its to shaved down on start line congestion. There is a thread about it at Slowtwitch in regards to Vineman. Could be because both Vineman and Racine starts with a steep hill the WTC is tired of people crashing.

In my opinion it eliminates start line congestion by being able to have your shoes already clipped in. Instead of being at the starting line at a dead stop, trying to get your shoes clipped in and then slowly start up the hill, you just get to the starting line, hop on and start peddling on top of your shoes. Plus, if you are too slow going up the hill you won't fall over since you can still stop and catch yourself. But that's just one person's opinion.
2013-07-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Germantown

Originally posted by waupaca11

In my opinion it eliminates start line congestion by being able to have your shoes already clipped in. Instead of being at the starting line at a dead stop, trying to get your shoes clipped in and then slowly start up the hill, you just get to the starting line, hop on and start peddling on top of your shoes. Plus, if you are too slow going up the hill you won't fall over since you can still stop and catch yourself. But that's just one person's opinion.

I have to agree. Plus, I really don't find it very safe to run with bike shoes on. The hard plastic cleats on the concrete is slippery, especially for people really moving through transition. What's the penatly for still clipping in your shoes? It's just much simpler to have them on the bike and only need to worry about strapping on your helmet and glasses.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15