General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run question -- ramping up from 0 to 5 days a week running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-22 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: Run question -- ramping up from 0 to 5 days a week running

I've been plagued by a knee injury since July (impact injury, not overuse injury).  After trying all sorts of things to avoid surgery, I just had surgery on Friday and am now on the mend.  Surgeon said I have no real restrictions at this point, other than letting pain dictate what I do and don't do.

I'm currently working with a physical therapist and will see him a couple times a week to work up to the point that I can run again.

I'd like to work my way up to running five times a week (basically BarryP minus one day), but I'm not sure how to work up to there.  I know the plan traditionally says to take your current weekly mileage and split it up over the six (five, in my case) runs....but I'm starting at 0 mpw.

My fitness is decent (I've been doing a lot of biking and swimming while I wasn't able to run -- logs are up to date), but I imagine my tolerance to pounding is down.

So once the PT gives me the green light to start running, does anyone have suggestions for ramping up from 0mpw / 0 running to running five days a week?  Appreciate your input!

Nicole

2013-01-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4588944

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Run question -- ramping up from 0 to 5 days a week running
Hi Nicole, congrats on the surgery and being on the mend!

So I'm curious, why do you want to run 5 days a week? Why the requirement?

I get injured a lot from running and I have found that if I stick to 3 days a week, and I ramp up my overall volume and long run by only 10% per week, I stay injury free (for the most part).

If I were working with someone coming off a knee injury, I would have them doing a walk/run to get a base going. Then week by week the running would become longer than the walking, eventually to all running with no walking. I did this with a client who came to me after an injury, and no running for 2 months. I had to get her from that to half Ironman shape in 6 months. While she hated me for doing it (ha! hated all the walking), it kept her injury free and we were able to get her to the long runs she needed in training without getting re-injured.

I would say start out at 6-8 miles per week. Ramp up 10% per week. Start slow. No need to hurt yourself! Good luck!

Edited by KSH 2013-01-22 8:17 AM
2013-01-22 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

My vote is to go at least 4 times as slow as you are thinking about going.  That would probably be about right.

If there is one thing I have learned from being injured and having surgeries multiple times over the years it's that you can't come back too slowly.  Really.

Last time I started back up after an injury it took me over a month to get to the point of running even a mile at a time.

So, start slow...and then go slower.

2013-01-22 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Agree with both posters. I am injury prone and have incorporated walking here and there, especially during long runs. I feel so much better after running now. Also, when I go too fast I start to get twinges in my shins and knees so definitely agree keep it slow.
2013-01-22 9:48 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
Sounds like a good time to get a Heart Rate Monitor. Once I started training by heart rate I haven't been injured since (knock on wood). I started out slow, lots of run/walks.
2013-01-22 9:49 AM

Master
Northern IL
Couch to 5k (C25K) and see how it goes. That has a few days a week of mixed run/walk so you'll get in more running sooner. And it progressively moves towards running more continuously.

Edited by brigby1 2013-01-22 9:51 AM

2013-01-22 10:02 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I think you can start 'running' 5 days a week right away (assuming no pain, etc.).  But I would do a lot of walking and very little running to begin (don't be afraid of accumulating total 'running' of even only 1/4 or 1/2mi--every little bit will help).  Needless to say (I hope), they should all be kept pretty short and easy.  And you should check with doc/PT anytime you feel any discomfort.  Very gradually, replace walking with running and then begin to lengthen out some of the runs, if all goes well.  Stay conservative early on.  If it feels good, just be happy and don't push the distances/paces too much.
2013-01-22 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4589171

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

JohnnyKay - 2013-01-22 8:02 AM I think you can start 'running' 5 days a week right away (assuming no pain, etc.).  But I would do a lot of walking and very little running to begin (don't be afraid of accumulating total 'running' of even only 1/4 or 1/2mi--every little bit will help).  Needless to say (I hope), they should all be kept pretty short and easy.  And you should check with doc/PT anytime you feel any discomfort.  Very gradually, replace walking with running and then begin to lengthen out some of the runs, if all goes well.  Stay conservative early on.  If it feels good, just be happy and don't push the distances/paces too much.

As usual, JK is right on. This is the same program my wife is doing, going from 0 running to 30 runs in 30 days. Keep the distance low (couple miles max), and gradually build up the run/walk ratio. If you start to feel any pain, stop and take it easy on the walk home.

2013-01-22 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Thanks for all the thoughts!

As for why I'd like to run five days a week -- my thought is that it'll be easier on my body to "spread out" the amount of running I'm doing over a larger number of days (i.e. if I'm doing 10mpw, then I have a number of 1/2/3 mile runs over five days, rather than two or three longer runs to hit the same volume).

I may try to get back into aquajogging again to get my run "fitness" back.  And then I'll gradually add in some running (run/walk) as my body tolerates it. 

I think starting with very short runs (1/4 mile, 1/2 mile) will probably be good for me.  I noticed that my body doesn't seem to give me very good feedback while I'm actually running....but then after I was finished, I would become aware of the pain.  So if I force myself to do short spurts of running in between walking, maybe the feedback will get to me quicker!

As for HRM, I do own and use (loosely) one.  I've never determined my zones for running (have it for the bike, though) and I think it would be a wildly bad idea to do an all-out 20-30 minute run just to get them.  Even though my zones will be different for the run versus the bike, would it be prudent to use the bike zones (+10 maybe??) to make sure I'm staying in Z2 for my running?

2013-01-22 12:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I would stress patience, patience and more patience.   The biggest mistake I make over and over again is to increase my pace and distance as soon as I feel myself able to go there.  Unfortunately, I do not allow enough time at the step I just got on to really go to that next step without eventually risking injury. 

To overly simplify, it's like if I can run 3 miles today, tomorrow I have to go 3.5.  But it's better to stay at 3 for a bit and get very comfortable there before elevating distance/speed.  I don't think that most people give themselves enough time at a particular step before moving to the next one.

2013-01-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4589420

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
ligersandtions - 2013-01-22 12:56 PM

I may try to get back into aquajogging again to get my run "fitness" back.  And then I'll gradually add in some running (run/walk) as my body tolerates it. 

I won't override anything your doc/PT advises, but if they give you no restrictions, I'd start run/walk now.  You've been swimming & biking, so you have the cardio in place.  What you need is to develop all those 'supporting' muscles by getting (slowly) used to the impact of running.  Aquajog may be a nice supplement while you aren't getting the 'cardio' workout you might like from your running (that run/walk should feel easy to you for quite awhile) .  But you could also get that by continuing to swim and/or bike more, too.  None of them will really make a huge difference on your ability to absorb the punding that running creates, so I don't think there's any great reason to choose one over another (when thinking about your run training, anyway).

Best of luck!

2013-01-22 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4589171

User image

Pro

JohnnyKay - 2013-01-22 11:02 AM I think you can start 'running' 5 days a week right away (assuming no pain, etc.).  But I would do a lot of walking and very little running to begin (don't be afraid of accumulating total 'running' of even only 1/4 or 1/2mi--every little bit will help).  Needless to say (I hope), they should all be kept pretty short and easy.  And you should check with doc/PT anytime you feel any discomfort.  Very gradually, replace walking with running and then begin to lengthen out some of the runs, if all goes well.  Stay conservative early on.  If it feels good, just be happy and don't push the distances/paces too much.

Definitely agree. It's not the number of days that's going to get you hurt, it's intensity and volume. I helped my friend (ok, my ex, but she is my friend) put together a plan going from zero to 5k She had arthroscopic surgery and unfortunately also gained about 40 lbs. As JK said, walk a lot, run a little, and slowly reverse that ratio to more run than walk. If it's a one minute slow jog to start, that's fine. And when I type run, I don't mean sprint, I mean a very comfortable slow pace. Get healthy, get a good aerobic base, and then think about speed.

Mix up your workouts so you're not doing the same thing every day. I'd suggest a couple basic workouts to start:

1. Brisk 30 minute walk ("rest day")

2: Brisk 5 minute warmup walk. Alternate 60 seconds running/2 minutes of walking. Repeat 6x. Cool down 5 minute brisk walk.

3. Brisk 5 minute warmup walk. Alternate 60 seconds running/90 minutes of walking. Repeat 8x. Cool down 5 minute brisk walk.

Eventually you start increasing the running intervals, i.e.

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Run 4 minutes
Walk 3 minutes
Run 8 minutes
Walk 3 minutes
Run 3 minutes
Cool down walk 5 minutes

2013-01-22 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Yup!  Very good suggestions here.  Personally that's what I've been doing for the past 5 weeks coming from ITBS that has bugged me for so long.  After consistent ST, foam rolling, and stretching last November and December I started running using a 0:30/0:30 run/walk ratio for 30 minutes 3x a week. 

Now I'm at 2:30/0:30 per run (some now longer than 30 minutes) 3x a week and feeling no pain.  I still continue with the ST, foam rolling, and stretching to keep the ITBS at bay and I'm very happy with the results so far.  No pain and I feel my running fitness coming back little by little. 

Believe me, it's taking alot of patience but not hurting outweighs how low my running volume currently is for Oceanside 70.3 on March 30th.

~Roland =^.^=

2013-01-22 12:42 PM

I was in your situation and did exactly what your intending. Initially I started aqua jogging (most boring thing in the world and harder than it looks). Started with five minutes and worked my way up to 15 over the course of two months. Then I started using BarryP as 1/2/3 minutes and worked my way up to 40 miles. I didn't increase my mileage every week. Made sure I felt good. All easy.  It felt like I was doing nothing for so long then Woah! I'm running again. Also PR'd a ton of races.

BarryP Rocks. Good Luck!

2013-01-22 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4589518

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I think I will stick with swimming and biking for cardio fitness and start adding in brisk walking and short intervals of easy running as my knee will tolerate it. 

Thanks for the workout suggestions, Brian!  That's exactly what I need -- a planned workout that I stick with so I don't convince myself that I feel fine and should go longer!

kloofyroland - 2013-01-22 10:35 AM

Yup!  Very good suggestions here.  Personally that's what I've been doing for the past 5 weeks coming from ITBS that has bugged me for so long.  After consistent ST, foam rolling, and stretching last November and December I started running using a 0:30/0:30 run/walk ratio for 30 minutes 3x a week. 

Now I'm at 2:30/0:30 per run (some now longer than 30 minutes) 3x a week and feeling no pain.  I still continue with the ST, foam rolling, and stretching to keep the ITBS at bay and I'm very happy with the results so far.  No pain and I feel my running fitness coming back little by little. 

Believe me, it's taking alot of patience but not hurting outweighs how low my running volume currently is for Oceanside 70.3 on March 30th.

~Roland =^.^=

Great to hear that you've had success with the ITBS and working your way back up to running.  What's your plan for the run leg of Oceanside 70.3?  I'm currently on the wait list for Vineman 70.3 and know that if I get in, I'll be under trained on the run portion.  I'll reevaluate when the time comes, but my guess is a planned run/walk schedule would be wise.  Is that what you're thinking?

2013-01-22 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4589535

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Great to hear that you've had success with the ITBS and working your way back up to running.  What's your plan for the run leg of Oceanside 70.3?  I'm currently on the wait list for Vineman 70.3 and know that if I get in, I'll be under trained on the run portion.  I'll reevaluate when the time comes, but my guess is a planned run/walk schedule would be wise.  Is that what you're thinking?

Thanks!  Yup something like that...  I aim to hurt alot less than I did at Orangeman's run segment last September.  I acquired ITBS last June before a HM and was trying to figure out a way to solve it on my own being the stubborn fool I am.  BT helped me with some good pointers as well.  I have been humbled and I've become a more patient triathlete. =)

A run/walk pacing strategy is in my mind right now for the race but I MAY be able to run the whole thing and only walk through some or all the aid stations.

Edited by kloofyroland 2013-01-22 1:13 PM

2013-01-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4589571

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The original Couch to 5k:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I really recommend it.  The sessions are only 20 to 30 mins each, so I suppose you could repeat 1 or 2 of them per week to get more time in.    It's a really good structure, though. 

2013-01-22 1:18 PM

User image

Pro

This is the program I was given for getting back to running after a stress fracture....ir requires 3 days per week and 1/2 hour on those days.

First week - walk 4.5 minutes/jog .5 minutes for 30 minut6es

Second week - walk 4 minutes/run 1 minute for 30 minutes

Third week - walk 3.5 minutes/run 1.5 minutes for 30 minutes

Fourth week - walk 3 minutes/run 2 minutes for 30 minutes

You get the picture......at week ten you are running 30 minutes and then you can get back to a program.  It's easy stuff, and I've seen it used a number of times with great success.

2013-01-22 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4589488

User image

BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-01-22 8:22 AM

JohnnyKay - 2013-01-22 11:02 AM I think you can start 'running' 5 days a week right away (assuming no pain, etc.).  But I would do a lot of walking and very little running to begin (don't be afraid of accumulating total 'running' of even only 1/4 or 1/2mi--every little bit will help).  Needless to say (I hope), they should all be kept pretty short and easy.  And you should check with doc/PT anytime you feel any discomfort.  Very gradually, replace walking with running and then begin to lengthen out some of the runs, if all goes well.  Stay conservative early on.  If it feels good, just be happy and don't push the distances/paces too much.

Definitely agree. It's not the number of days that's going to get you hurt, it's intensity and volume.

x2 to everything Johnny said, and the bolded above. 

2013-01-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4589621

New user

This is a timely thread for me as I just recently had to shut down the running after I ramped up volume and intensity way to fast. Went from maybe 10 miles a week to 25 miles a week over 4 weeks trying to get ready for a last minute local HM i found that was 6 weeks away. Knee issues i had in the past snuck back up on me and got me good. Time to do PT and start up again slowly.

As bummed as i am about not doing the HM, I would be even more frustrated if this caused me to miss triathlons starting early May. Besides, now i have more time to swim and bike.

2013-01-22 2:41 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
When I started to resume running after back surgery (2006), 2 days a week I did this: 30sec jog, 4:30 walk, repeat until i was tired. On the other days I walked 1-2 miles daily (I had to work up to walking just a few steps, to a 1/4 mile, then a mile, etc). once I got to 2 miles of walking I added 30 sec of running. I remember my first "run" after back surgery was just 2 blocks I think it took me 30 seconds which is how I got the number

I did that for 2 weeks then I went out again and felt great at the end of the first 30 seconds and kept going through the next interval...I'd done 5:30 minutes of jogging after only 2 weeks of my run program.

Everyones fitness will grow differently and there are no "RULES" that you must follow 100%.

As you can see in my example I based my starting run interval on my fitness at that time (let's see how long I can run before I'm afriad something bad will happen...it was 30 seconds). I rested until I felt I could repeat it...taht took 4-5 minutes. So I made that a repeating pattern.

Fitness and recovery from injury is very dynamic and varies from person to person.

The C25k program sounds like a good way to start. By the end of it, reasess your current situation & fitness level.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run question -- ramping up from 0 to 5 days a week running Rss Feed