General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you rather run in extreme hot or extreme cold? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

Would you rather run in extreme hot or extreme cold?
OptionResults
Run in extreme cold86 Votes - [52.76%]
Run in extreme heat77 Votes - [47.24%]

2013-01-29 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4589843

New user
Subject: RE: Would you rather run in extreme hot or extreme cold?

Heat, heat, heat, HEAT!!!!!

You guys who love the cold drive me crazy and hearing "you just need to put on more layers" makes me want to scream.

Cold weather -

• takes for ever to get ready
  • tons of laundry
  • expensive clothes required
  • I am always uncomfortable in tons of clothes
  • no matter what I do my hands still get cold
  • that lovely 'core is sweltering but hands/feet/face are in agony feeling'
  • picking anything up is a project (removing gloves)
  • slipping and falling
  • cold induced asthma attacks
  • A new one I just noticed - Core is sweltering but the surface of your skin is freezing

Hot weather -

• Throw on shorts and shoes
  • Enjoy :-)

2013-01-29 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4599539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan
Subject: RE: Would you rather run in extreme hot or extreme cold?
Anachronism - 2013-01-29 10:11 AM

Heat, heat, heat, HEAT!!!!!

You guys who love the cold drive me crazy and hearing "you just need to put on more layers" makes me want to scream.

Cold weather -

• takes for ever to get ready
  • tons of laundry
  • expensive clothes required
  • I am always uncomfortable in tons of clothes
  • no matter what I do my hands still get cold
  • that lovely 'core is sweltering but hands/feet/face are in agony feeling'
  • picking anything up is a project (removing gloves)
  • slipping and falling
  • cold induced asthma attacks
  • A new one I just noticed - Core is sweltering but the surface of your skin is freezing

Hot weather -

• Throw on shorts and shoes
  • Enjoy :-)

Not quite that simple.  Remember the question asked about extreme heat.

- In extreme heat I may have to fill up water bottles and carry them with me and/or find strategic places to put them on my run which either is a pain or takes extra time, or at least have a hydration plan of some sort in place.  I never have to bother with that in the cold (though I guess some do then as well).

- In extreme heat I have to slow my pace by a good minute per mile which will probably offset any gains in time made by not having to put on those extra layers of clothing.

- In extreme cold I'm dragging around extra layers of clothing on my body.  In extreme heat I'm dragging around sweat drenched clothing on my body.

- In cold weather I can sleep in a bit, enjoy my morning then go out running around 11AM or noon on the weekend.  In hot weather I'm dragging my butt out of bed and doing it early to avoid the extreme heat in the first place.

- Depending on the length of the run I don't have to put sun block on in the cold like I might in the heat.

- When it's cold I can take my dog not so in the heat as she doesn't last very long in it.

- In the heat I'm still sweating an hour later even after taking a cold shower.

I will give you that dealing with snow and ice and slipping in the cold is no fun and that running in shorts and loose fitting summer clothing is very liberating.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would you rather run in extreme hot or extreme cold? Rss Feed  

of 4