General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-27 10:54 AM

New user

Otterberg
Subject: Bike Fit Help

Long story short, I had a nice Felt AR4. The LBS took one measurement and called it good. I didn't like it, but thought he knew better than me. Wrong.

I sold the 56cm Felt and now have a 58cm Cannondale CAAD 10. It is much better, but I still feel uncomfortable. I went for a fit, but wasn't thrilled about the "well sit on the bike, and we'll shoot from the hip" approach.

In short, all my weight is on the bars. My wrist and elbows hurt after 20-30 minutes and my triceps feel like they've done 100 pushups from bearing down on the bars so much. Here's a pic of me on the bike. Anyone see something I could do to fix the problem? I'd like to avoid the $200 bike fit since I ate $600 buying a new bike. To me it looks like I'm too big for the bike, but I am a runner more than a cyclist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2013-01-27 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4596498

New user

Otterberg
Subject: RE: Bike Fit Help
okay. trying again for the pic.
2013-01-28 4:58 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I think the problem is that you really didn't have a bike fit (based on your statement, "sit on the bike and shoot from the hip").

This is a bike fit:
1. Interview
This is usually the longest time of a bike fit and extremely important. Discussions such as athletic background, cycling background, riding experience, terrain riding, types of races, current and future goals/aspirations, current/prior injuries/issues, etc. etc. etc. Basically, everything the fitter needs to know to understand YOU.

2. Measurements
Body measurements such as lower/upper leg length, arms, shoulder width, upper body, etc. Body discrepancy (for example, differences in leg length, difference in flexibility between muscles groups or between left/right, etc.). Flexibility, core strength.

3. The fit
Either done on your existing bike or on an adjustable fit bike. The fitter takes all the data gathered until this point and starts off with a rough set up. Reading body movement and the input from the rider, adjustments are made. This can be done either with or without the aide of computer aided motion capturing equipment.

This entire process usually last somewhere between 2-4 hours.

Sitting on the bike and in 10 minutes figure out if it's right or wrong is a really bad excuse for a bike fit...
2013-03-06 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Sounds like your stem is too long shorten it up and you should feel a big difference... This will move your hands back, your shoulders up and put more weight on you saddle

Best soultion is to get a LBS that can fit you using a system that measures your body then moves your bike around you, small changes can have big results.

Fitters all do things a little different so....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit Help Rss Feed