General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My swimming adventure Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-27 10:22 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: My swimming adventure

So yesterday I was splitting a lane with another person who was probably lapping me every 7-8th lap. The swim lanes were pretty busy with the Y swim team practicing and just others wanting to swim.  Anyways at first 2 people ask to join our lane and swim circles. I said well I don't know if that would work out since we were both doing some certain sets. But I said ask the other person in the lane with me and ok with that person ok with me.  Well those people went to another lane where they did breast stroke and I was lapping them.

So then I start another set and at the other end a guy in his 60-70s stops me and say we need to circle. I said well I don't know if that would work. He said we need to circle swim.  I said well if you can get the other person in the lane to agree than we can circle. Evidently that didn't happen because he started swimming on his back (not back stroke) in the lane next to us.

Eventually he started swimming freestyle but he was really slow.  Is there anything wrong with saying circle swim won't work when I already know the person splitting the lane is a fair amount faster and I am faster than the person wanting to join. Sure I understand that there are ways to overcome this but at the same time I didn't want to interrupt my sets and there were other lanes where people were swimming slower than the lane I was in.

I've read on here multiple opinions about other's swim adventures so just wanting to know if what I said did was wrong/right or what. I guess I look at it that the other person said no or just ignored the people on the side of the pool and went about swimming.

2013-01-27 11:36 PM
in reply to: #4597197

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: My swimming adventure
My opinion is you were a lane hog. Never split when the pool is busy. I some some times have share with guys like that too and I swim pretty fast. Think about how selfish this looks. I keep seeing these threads popping up where people complain about the pool but are seemingly ignorant of lane swim etiquette and the accepted norms of swimming. My Y posts an etiquette sandwich board, if a lane mate is causing me grief I pull it over to my lane in such a way that I get their attention and they read it (unless they can't read English).
2013-01-27 11:39 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I think what you did was fine. (we'll split if the other person agrees to it). But did the other guy refuse to circle swim? My experience is that faster better swimmers seem fine with circling with slower swimmers becuase they get it. They know how it works.

Not wanting to circle because you've got sets to do is understandable and all, but if it deprives someone else of their swim then it's bad.

Last time I circle swim I had to modify my planned set and you know what? the set I was able to do was way better than what I was going to do, and now I use that same set to prescribe to my swimmers.

Just be open minded and everything will be fine.
2013-01-28 2:31 AM

User image

Regular
NSW
Geez, people actually ask you if they can join your lane?All the pools I use the rules are that if you are sharing you always stick to the left. On occassions when I am sharing with someone,they will ask to split the lane, but that changes as soon as someone else joins. The only time I get cranky is when people join the lane, and then do either very slow breaststroke. or walking up and down.to be honest, me lapping people (which happens often), or being lapped (not so often), doesn't faze me in the least.So long as everyone gets a fair workout everything is good. Imwould hste to think that I have stopped someone from working out, by an inflated sense of entitlement.
2013-01-28 6:12 AM

User image

Veteran

Unless you own the pool, you should try to accommodate other swimmers. Circle swimming isn't ideal, especially with a speed discrepancy and you doing different workouts, but it ensures everyone gets to work out. My thinking is, I pay the same membership dues as everyone else so I am going to swim. Sitting on the side is just wasting my time. I prefer to split lanes as well but it's not always feasible.

The only other option is to go at a less crowded time when the swim team is not practicing.

2013-01-28 6:23 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Unless there were lanes with only one person in them, you should have switched to circles.

2013-01-28 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
So glad I go to an unpopular pool.  Never had to share a lane.
2013-01-28 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran

I don't understand splitting a lane.  Circling is just so much easier.  In addition, then there is no need to coordinate when someone else joins the lane.  Just let them know what to do and you're off.  No need to wait for the other swimmer to let them know to switch.

Edited by rustymom 2013-01-28 8:09 AM
2013-01-28 8:11 AM

Expert
Just think the more crowded it gets, the more "race like" it is for you. More elbow and feet coming at/around you. The more turbulent the water, the better swimmer you become in the long run.
2013-01-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4597436

Extreme Veteran
Israel / NJ
The problem with that is if im at the pool first and swim 1:30 per 100 and you swim 2:00 per 100 and another person is breast stroken then i cant see this working. Thank God i dont have this problem at my gym bc i go in the middle of the day when nobody is around. Only plus of working night shift in the hospital. 
2013-01-28 8:56 AM

User image

Regular

I thought about those things. The thing is that there were other lanes where people were not sharing or were doing similar workouts as to what the person ended up doing. When I go to the pool and it is crowded I attempt to look at what others are doing for their workouts and look at their speed and then try to join the appropriate lane rather than jumping in with people who are doing backstroke, breaststroke or whatever. 

And I did give the people asking the share a chance to talk to the other person in the lane with me. I wasn't totally opposed to it and would have made adjustments had the other person agreed as well as it is a shared pool. I just didn't feel that if the other person wasn't willing to circle swim then there wasn't a whole lot I could do about other than give up my part of the lane. 

2013-01-28 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4597521

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
temoniprince - 2013-01-28 9:50 AM The problem with that is if im at the pool first and swim 1:30 per 100 and you swim 2:00 per 100 and another person is breast stroken then i cant see this working. Thank God i dont have this problem at my gym bc i go in the middle of the day when nobody is around. Only plus of working night shift in the hospital. 

Can you really not see how it could work to have different speeds and different strokes swimming together?  Seriously?

How do you manage to sight in a race?

And I didn't use the sarcasm font on purpose. Get in the pool and swim. If you come up on another swimmer while circle swimming, slow down and pass when they yield to you at the wall. If they don't yield, look for an opening and pass. Yeah ... you'll need a burst to do that.

If a faster swimmer comes up on you, yield at the wall. I'm very new to swimming, but this simply isn't rocket science. Nor is it *your* lane. Play nice. 
2013-01-28 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4597229

User image

Extreme Veteran

AdventureBear - 2013-01-28 12:39 AM I think what you did was fine. (we'll split if the other person agrees to it). But did the other guy refuse to circle swim? My experience is that faster better swimmers seem fine with circling with slower swimmers becuase they get it. They know how it works. Not wanting to circle because you've got sets to do is understandable and all, but if it deprives someone else of their swim then it's bad. Last time I circle swim I had to modify my planned set and you know what? the set I was able to do was way better than what I was going to do, and now I use that same set to prescribe to my swimmers. Just be open minded and everything will be fine.

X2 on this.........

This was my experience yesterday. I only had about 800 yards of my long set left to finish and went from splitting a lane to circling. We were all about the same pace, but I feel I was fading out at the end. This was my last 800yds of a 4000yd total swim, so I had to force myself to really push it, to keep up their pace. It exhausted me, but in the end I left feeling the circle swim technique gave me the extra push/motivation I needed to finish off a hard swim day.

Edited by tigers75 2013-01-28 9:12 AM
2013-01-28 11:09 AM

User image

Regular

I can't say that the other person refused to circle swim or not. I just told the person to talk to the other person in the lane. If the other person says no, not much I can do. Should I just wait at the wall until the person wanting in the pool gets the attention of the other person to see if circle swim will work? What happens then if that person just ignores the one wanting in the pool? How long am I to wait before continuing on my set? 

I'm all for sharing but if the other person in the lane doesn't want to share than am I suppose to give up my swimming so a person can start? I guess that is more what I am asking since I didn't say no to circle swim but felt that I couldn't speak to the whole lane myself. If it was just myself and a group came along I would have said yes to it. 

This is a touchy subject and I would rather make sure I am handling things right vs. not. I thought I was handling things right by telling the person wanting to join to ask the other and if alright with that person sure thing.

The other points I was getting at is there were other lanes with people doing the things the guy was wanting to do. Why not just join that lane? Sure they can join whatever lane they want but out of respect to others shouldn't they join a lane of similar type of swimming or speed?  

2013-01-28 11:34 AM

This stinks of pool mis-management IMO.  Why isn't circle swim the normal procedure?  Why aren't there speed indications (i.e. fast, medium, slow) for each lane?

Don't get me wrong, you can't speak for the person you are sharing the lane with but once you decide to circle then he'she will have no choice but to fall into line with you.
2013-01-28 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4597835

User image

Veteran
spie34 - 2013-01-28 12:09 PM

I can't say that the other person refused to circle swim or not. I just told the person to talk to the other person in the lane. If the other person says no, not much I can do. Should I just wait at the wall until the person wanting in the pool gets the attention of the other person to see if circle swim will work? What happens then if that person just ignores the one wanting in the pool? How long am I to wait before continuing on my set? 

I'm all for sharing but if the other person in the lane doesn't want to share than am I suppose to give up my swimming so a person can start? I guess that is more what I am asking since I didn't say no to circle swim but felt that I couldn't speak to the whole lane myself. If it was just myself and a group came along I would have said yes to it. 

This is a touchy subject and I would rather make sure I am handling things right vs. not. I thought I was handling things right by telling the person wanting to join to ask the other and if alright with that person sure thing.

The other points I was getting at is there were other lanes with people doing the things the guy was wanting to do. Why not just join that lane? Sure they can join whatever lane they want but out of respect to others shouldn't they join a lane of similar type of swimming or speed?  

It originally sounded like the pool was packed and yours was the best lane for someone to join. If that is not the case, then you could be like oh see if you can jump into the next lane.

What I would have done in the case of a crowded pool is say sure, we can circle. Let's grab this other guy. I would stop him and say hey we're circling now. Especially if he's lapping you it shouldn't take him more than one minute to get to the wall.

Would I be annoyed if I was in the middle of a timed set or interval? Absolutely, but part of using a public pool is sharing and the occasional interruption.

Edited by laurentris 2013-01-28 11:45 AM

2013-01-28 11:50 AM

User image

Regular

Ok, that makes sense. I just have never grabbed someone in the middle of their set and didn't know if I should be the one to do it or is it up to the person wanting to join. The pool was crowded to a point but not necessarily crowded to the point that the lane that there were not other lanes splitting as well. 

There were others wanting to swim but they were just sitting there so who knows if they were really wanting to swim right then or were just waiting themselves so they could do their own thing. 

Anyways next time I'll just say that's fine we can swim circles, get the other person swimming to know you want to join and when I see that just start swimming circles.  

2013-01-28 12:07 PM

circle swimming with three people really isn't that hard even when the speeds vary. It seems like you can often pass the slower person coming off of the wall.
2013-01-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4597538

Extreme Veteran
Israel / NJ

BernardDogs - 2013-01-28 9:56 AM
temoniprince - 2013-01-28 9:50 AM The problem with that is if im at the pool first and swim 1:30 per 100 and you swim 2:00 per 100 and another person is breast stroken then i cant see this working. Thank God i dont have this problem at my gym bc i go in the middle of the day when nobody is around. Only plus of working night shift in the hospital. 

Can you really not see how it could work to have different speeds and different strokes swimming together?  Seriously?

How do you manage to sight in a race?

And I didn't use the sarcasm font on purpose. Get in the pool and swim. If you come up on another swimmer while circle swimming, slow down and pass when they yield to you at the wall. If they don't yield, look for an opening and pass. Yeah ... you'll need a burst to do that.

If a faster swimmer comes up on you, yield at the wall. I'm very new to swimming, but this simply isn't rocket science. Nor is it *your* lane. Play nice. 

How wide is the lane? 3.5 feet? something like that and not everyone knows how to circle swim. Swimming in the pool is not swimming in the open water plain and simple. so basically if i have a workout and i need to hit my times , I shouldnt even bother when circle swimming with people who are not swimming around my pace?    Thank God my Gym does not allow circle swimming.

IDk sounds weird to me.    Just swim and get wet.

Edited by temoniprince 2013-01-28 1:49 PM
2013-01-29 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4597436

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
rustymom - 2013-01-28 8:07 AM

I don't understand splitting a lane.  Circling is just so much easier.  In addition, then there is no need to coordinate when someone else joins the lane.  Just let them know what to do and you're off.  No need to wait for the other swimmer to let them know to switch.

Circling isn't easier when you are a lot faster than the other swimmer. In that instance it is easier to split the lane.

2013-01-29 9:21 AM

User image

I am at a pool where there are often six or seven people circle swimming in the "fast" lane - since other lanes are full with people doing slower workouts.

"Fast" is a relative term and there is a lot of passing at the walls, slowing down in the middle, etc.

I do find that everyone is quite consciencious of each other, given the limited space - people will always yield at the wall...or pause to clear their goggles if they don't want to admit you're faster.

It's sometimes painful and slow (still trying to find a better option for speed workouts) -- but we are all in the same boat, so you can't complain too much. I find it's been fine for base building and drills. I think I've finally gotten the hang of bilateral breathing, thanks to being forced to go slow and needing something to focus on!

And I go to a community centre pool - I like that people are using it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My swimming adventure Rss Feed