General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Argon 18 vs P1? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-31 12:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: Argon 18 vs P1?

Ok, I'm one of those people that are always looking for the next thing......I bought a leftover 2009 argon 18 E80 last year for about $1500.  I had a fitting done and I'm been wondering if it's a tad too big for me.  The seat post has been flipped around to put the seat more in the 80* angle, and I have an 80mm stem.  The pads sit a tad behind the basebar.  Top tube is measured at 53.5cm. It has about 500 miles on it.

I found a leftover Cervelo P1 for about $1200 in a size 51.  I think the top tube is less on these than my argon at around 51cm.  The obvious difference is mine has a carbon rear triangle and a full carbon fork while the P1 is all aluminum.  I would assume fit would be similar with my argon having a tad more stack but similar reach.  

Is it worth selling mine and buying the P1?  I know Cervelos have the popularity/following behind them which is great but not of my concern.  Am I being stupid for considering this?  

Here's my current ride: 

(sss.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
sss.JPG (42KB - 12 downloads)

2013-01-31 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4603042

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Argon 18 vs P1?

Here's the fit.....

(fit3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fit3.jpg (85KB - 8 downloads)
2013-02-04 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4603087

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

You're fit looks pretty good to me.

You're not too far out over the front end which would cause stability issues, and you're not kneeing yourself in the elbows on the upstroke.  

You definitely don't look too stretched out to me either.

If you went down a size, you could be risking too much toe overlap with the front wheel.  I can't tell from the photo how many spacers you have under the stem, but it doesn't look like too much.  

If you're comfortable riding your current bike, and you're happy with it, I don't see any reason to change.

ETA:  Having the seatpost in the forward position is ideal for triathlon, it rotates your farther forward for a more aero position as well as helps engage different muscles which is thought to help with the run off of the bike.  

Edited by outdoorWI 2013-02-04 1:46 PM
2013-02-04 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4608024

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
outdoorWI - 2013-02-04 1:35 PM

You're fit looks pretty good to me.

You're not too far out over the front end which would cause stability issues, and you're not kneeing yourself in the elbows on the upstroke.  

You definitely don't look too stretched out to me either.

If you went down a size, you could be risking too much toe overlap with the front wheel.  I can't tell from the photo how many spacers you have under the stem, but it doesn't look like too much.  

If you're comfortable riding your current bike, and you're happy with it, I don't see any reason to change.

ETA:  Having the seatpost in the forward position is ideal for triathlon, it rotates your farther forward for a more aero position as well as helps engage different muscles which is thought to help with the run off of the bike.  

Right now I have about 2.5cm of spacers in right now.  I was simply thinking that a 2cm shorter top tube on the P1 would allow a little more flexibility in my reach and allow me for instance to go to a 90mm stem and moving the elbow pads forward over the handlebar.  It's fairly comfortable but the P1 has a shorter chainstay (38 vs.40 I believe) which would help with hill climbing but maybe make it a rougher ride on flats.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Argon 18 vs P1? Rss Feed