General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I would trade your life for a bowl of cereal right now Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-02 12:14 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: I would trade your life for a bowl of cereal right now

I call 100%, complete BS on the idea that you should allow yourself everything in moderation and never cut something completely out of your diet because it will just make you binge.

I've been fine without cake, ice cream, cereal (cereal is the devil btw), chips, etc for a while now.  Well, two days ago was my kid's birthday.  We had cake and ice cream.  My diet has been on track and I've been losing bodyfat and getting close to my "after photo" self again, so no biggie on one slice of cake and scoop of ice cream, right?  WRONG!  That stuff literally stimulates the same part of my brain as heroin.  Not. Kidding.

I broke and had more before bed.  Then again yesterday.  I couldn't help it - I was a junkee that NEEDED his fix.  Now that that's gone, I keep looking longingly at the top of my fridge hoping I find a box of cereal I forgot about.  No matter how many times I check, there's no chips or crackers in the cupboard, either  Good thing.

It's going to be a painful few days of detoxing.

2013-02-02 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4605317

Subject: RE: I would trade your life for a bowl of cereal right now
Amen.
2013-02-02 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Yep...sugar is the devil! My wife to be does better than I with this moderation crap, she can eat one double stuffed Oreo and be good for a day or two. Me on the other hand, if I eat one...I'm eating a whole eff'n run of those things!
2013-02-02 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

This is the reason I gave up sugar March 2010, about to get my 3 years chip. A two days binge is not much, if I dared touch sugar again they would find me in the corner of the basement, a week after I've gone missing, surrounded by leftover cakes Smile.

I've given it up for good, never to touch again, must say, it becomes easier with time. Last Christmas I barely cried Smile

2013-02-04 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I understand completely!

I've had the worst runs in my life the last few days and yet I offered to make my daughter brownies knowing that I wanted to eat the raw mix. Yes, losing my intestines for days did not prevent me from eating raw eggs. The self loathing followed shortly.

How do you do with fruit. Really high fiber stuff - would apples satisfy your craving. I say this knowing full well that I could stuff down sweets no matter how stuffed I was, but it might help.

I'm surprised to hear this from guys - don't know why I thought it was a female thing.

Mitzi
2013-02-04 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
One serving Kashi cereal and one serving Silk soy milk is one of my main go-to post-workout meals, great ratio of carbs and protein.

2013-02-04 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4607669

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

MuscleMomma - 2013-02-04 11:53 AM I understand completely! I've had the worst runs in my life the last few days and yet I offered to make my daughter brownies knowing that I wanted to eat the raw mix. Yes, losing my intestines for days did not prevent me from eating raw eggs. The self loathing followed shortly. How do you do with fruit. Really high fiber stuff - would apples satisfy your craving. I say this knowing full well that I could stuff down sweets no matter how stuffed I was, but it might help. I'm surprised to hear this from guys - don't know why I thought it was a female thing. Mitzi

A piece of fruit is not bad...but does nothing for the cravings.  A big fruit salad or something does the same thing to me and a cookie binge, though.  I just want MORE, so I tend to treat fruit about the same as candy.  I just sweat out the withdrawals until they go away.

2013-02-05 12:19 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I do have "unable to buy" things.  I can't have peanut butter in the house, I will eat the whole jar in one sitting (don't ask me how I know)... same thing with primal bread from Trader Joe's.  Kay's Protein Chips.  And soup.  I can't have canned soup, I will eat it all.
2013-02-05 10:17 PM
in reply to: #4608717

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Zero2Athlete - 2013-02-04 10:27 PM

MuscleMomma - 2013-02-04 11:53 AM I understand completely! I've had the worst runs in my life the last few days and yet I offered to make my daughter brownies knowing that I wanted to eat the raw mix. Yes, losing my intestines for days did not prevent me from eating raw eggs. The self loathing followed shortly. How do you do with fruit. Really high fiber stuff - would apples satisfy your craving. I say this knowing full well that I could stuff down sweets no matter how stuffed I was, but it might help. I'm surprised to hear this from guys - don't know why I thought it was a female thing. Mitzi

A piece of fruit is not bad...but does nothing for the cravings.  A big fruit salad or something does the same thing to me and a cookie binge, though.  I just want MORE, so I tend to treat fruit about the same as candy.  I just sweat out the withdrawals until they go away.

Good role model - when I'm losing it I'll think of you and all the other athletes who resist and come out the other end stronger.
2013-02-07 6:43 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Aww, thanks  
2013-02-08 9:46 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
You are absolutely correct, 351 to 173 myself.   The crap they put in our foods is addictive not to mention killing us.   Although I will on rare occassions have a strawberry ice cream cone, one scoop only, but never, ever, ever under any circumstances does it ever go into the house where I can fall to temptation, same with cookies, chips, etc.   I'm weak and I freely admit it, but I will never ever allow myself to get to 350 pounds again or 200 hundred for that matter.

2013-02-08 7:02 PM

User image

I agree.  For me some foods are addictive.  I can go for weeks without anything sweet and be fine, but then I have one cookie, and it is over.  All I want to eat are cookies (or cake or brownies...).  Definitely good that I never found illegal drugs tempting.
2013-02-08 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I so relate you to guys. Now I have to remember what I know, and see my cravings for the false messages my body is sending me. I've got to keep my eyes on the prize - me in spandex doing an oly in August.

2013-02-11 1:50 PM

Wish I had the discipline you guys have!    I want to lose 20 pounds.  For me it's not necessarily the sugar,  it's the salty stuff.   Chips/pretzels stuff like that.  I even have a hard time with nuts in moderation.  Having an occasional beer really intensifies that craving too!

2013-02-15 7:22 PM

Jefferson City

I'll join this train. I used to sit and eat an entire carton of ice cream or bag of pretzels in a sitting and then go rummage around in the empty pantry already sick but ready for more... or soda. I could drink 4 liters of coke in a day without break a sweat. Somehow... I ended up with type 2 diabetes. Wonder how that happened....

But, I am proud of me, we had a food day at work which is code for everyone brings a cream cheese dish. I stuck to the veggie tray without so much as a twinge of interest in the other junk. I have had not a single soda in months either, or ice cream for that matter.  

2013-02-16 4:06 PM

User image

Expert

I hear you on the cereal.  My kids don't like my style at all, I've flat out banned cereal of any kind from the house!  And no chips, candy, ice cream, none of that any more.  Not fair they say, we're not the fat ones with no self control!  Tough I say, I buy the food. Surprised 

Me and one daughter have now converted from cereal 7x/week to a green smoothie every day.  The other daughter is still sticking to her anti green guns, but she's slowly coming around (she usually has a yogurt and a hard boiled egg, at least it's better than cereal!).  I'm sure they will thank me later, right?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I would trade your life for a bowl of cereal right now Rss Feed