General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM post-training nutrition: Calories in vs Calories out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-04 2:27 AM

New user

Subject: IM post-training nutrition: Calories in vs Calories out?

I'm signed up for my first IM (IMTX) and have just began training. I was curious about nutrition, especially post workout.

Let's say I do a 60/3 bike/run brick and my Garmin 910 says that I burned 2300 on the bike plus 300 on the run for a total of 2700 calories. If my maintenance calories for my body is 2200, does that mean I need to consume a total of 4900 calories for the day?

Also for post workout nutrition on long training days, I've heard that it needs to be more focused on carbs, moderate protein, and fat in order to replace glycogen stores...is this thinking correct? Something in the range of 70% carbs and 15% protein/fat?

I have been logging everything into myfitnesspal to track what I eat to maximize my training and would like to hear what others have to say about the topic. Thanks!

2013-02-04 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4607141

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: RE: IM post-training nutrition: Calories in vs Calories out?

You'll probably find the garmin overestimating calories...so if you're happy with your weight, just keep an eye on the scale so you can make adjustments.  You don't have to replace all the calories the same day..give your body a few days to soak everything back in.  Your not trying to fatten up - you want to replace the glycogen in your muscles and liver. Eating a lot at once will increase the amount of insulin floating around, and insulin floating around is going to send those carbs into to fat storage mode.   You might look at it more as a weekly caloric need rather than a daily, and space things out...with a bit of an increase on the most active days.

You'll probably find the garmin overestimating calories, but it's still ok for a reference.  Just keep an eye on the scale so you can make adjustments.  A recovery meal of about 75-80% carbs/20%protein and fairly low fat is commonly recommended.  Many like chocolate milk...depending on your workout, just a 200-400 calories sill do, then 45-90 minutes later, depending on who you listen to, it's time to resume a regular meal plan with more protein.

Edited by Zero2Athlete 2013-02-04 9:40 PM
2013-02-06 8:14 PM

User image

Spokane

It is suggested to get 1/2  your body weight in carbs and 20g of protein within 30 mins of a workout.  Nutrients are best absorbed by the body after a workout so the carbs will help muscle recovery and protein will help muscle building. Try to keep the fat low immediately after a workout as it takes longer to digest.

example: my post workout drink is 70g carbs, 20g protien, with a little bit of peanut butter or cashews(3-4 pieces) in blender for better taste.

2013-02-11 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4612005

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
dkahns51 - 2013-02-06 6:14 PM

It is suggested to get 1/2  your body weight in carbs and 20g of protein within 30 mins of a workout.  Nutrients are best absorbed by the body after a workout so the carbs will help muscle recovery and protein will help muscle building. Try to keep the fat low immediately after a workout as it takes longer to digest.

example: my post workout drink is 70g carbs, 20g protien, with a little bit of peanut butter or cashews(3-4 pieces) in blender for better taste.

I just finished a workout and on your advice ate half my body weight in carbs.  I had to eat 77 lbs of bananas and I feel a little stuffed.  Are you sure that is right?

2013-02-11 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4612005

Master
Northern IL

I think he means to take your weight in pounds, switch (not convert) to g, and eat half of that in carbs. So 77 g for you.

However, what I take in depends on what I've been doing and how hungry I am. I'm not going to eat the same following a 30 min run vs a 5+ hr bike ride.

Generally, I'll make sure to get in protein regularly throughout the day. Carbs too, but I don't necessarily try to take advantage of this "window" after every single workout. They'll still get absorbed, it may just take a bit longer. The higher the stress load of the workout, the more likely I'll be to get in more sooner simply because I'll be more depleted. Don't complicate things.

2013-02-11 2:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I found the best thing was the scale.  During my training I noticed I was getting really chilly in the pool.  Hopped on the scale and found that I was at 132 pounds, about ten less than my normal weight.  I simply wasn't eating enough to match my calories burned in workouts.  I increased the size of my meals and frequency of eating and put the ten pounds back on in time for my race since it was a cold water swim.

2013-02-11 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4617335

User image

Spokane
brigby1 - 2013-02-11 8:05 AM

I think he means to take your weight in pounds, switch (not convert) to g, and eat half of that in carbs. So 77 g for you.

However, what I take in depends on what I've been doing and how hungry I am. I'm not going to eat the same following a 30 min run vs a 5+ hr bike ride.

Generally, I'll make sure to get in protein regularly throughout the day. Carbs too, but I don't necessarily try to take advantage of this "window" after every single workout. They'll still get absorbed, it may just take a bit longer. The higher the stress load of the workout, the more likely I'll be to get in more sooner simply because I'll be more depleted. Don't complicate things.

Yeah this is what I meant, convert to grams. It was kinda a given though... lol

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM post-training nutrition: Calories in vs Calories out? Rss Feed