General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MTB seat height? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-01 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Subject: MTB seat height?
Hey guys, I'm doing a Try-a-Tri in August (300m/15km/3km) and I'm going to ride my MTB (decent - but not great - XC hardtail).

How high should I put the seat? I'd had it at regular MTB kinda seat height (at least an inch or so lower than the bars) until last night when I put it up to about an inch higher than the bars. I found this improved performance, I think. But it may be too high?

Is seat height just a function of comfort or is there something "ideal"?

Thanks!

2006-07-01 10:12 PM
in reply to: #471818

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brookhaven, PA (Philly Burbs)
Subject: RE: MTB seat height?
This is a tricky question.

A good starting point is to set the height using the same genera guidelines you would use to set your road bike seat height.

On race day, try to make some kind of effort to check out the course. If the course is very technical (lots of rocks, roots, drops, etc) you may want to lower the seat. You'll want your center of gravity a tad bit lower to keep you stable on those tricky technical downhills (take a peak at any of the major downhill pros - they have their seats stupid low). Additionally, the lower seat will allow you to use your legs as "natural suspension" and allow you to "float" over the bike on those tricky technical sections.

Roadies who make the jump from road bike to mountain bike tend to setup their bikes like their road bikes. Mountain bikes need to be more fluid; you'll use more body english steering the bike through tight single track or riding down a super steep off camber downhill

I have done a few off road tri's and du's and the courses tend to be relatively tame compared to some of the mountain bike race courses I have done. You'll more then likely be ok with your seat high.
2006-07-01 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
thanks for the reply!

that's helpful, even though this is a road race on a pretty flat track, I'm just using my MTB because it's what I have and since this is my first attempt, I'm not going to go crazy buying a road bike just yet!
2006-07-03 1:16 PM
in reply to: #472018

Elite
Laurium, MI

for a road race, you want the seat up to "road standards." THe easiest way I have found to get this close is to set the height so that wen you are sitting on the seat, your leg at full extension puts your heel right on top of the pedal at its lowest point.  Make sense?  Now, you should be balanced on the seat and not leaning to one side to get extra extension.

From there go ride normally.  That "should" give you the proper leg bend with your ball of your foot above the pedal's pivot.  As you ride, pay attention to how it feels.  You should have a slight bend in your leg at the pedals lowest point.  If you feel stretched out or your leg is having to almost lock, then drop the seat down a little.   Also if you can't sit on the seat comfortably with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke and drop your heel almost to full extension, then your seat is high.  Just play around with it and see what's comfortable.  Move the seat in little increments at a time

2006-07-03 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Thanks Matt! That's very helpful!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » MTB seat height? Rss Feed