General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low testosterone for a female Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-11 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Low testosterone for a female

I've read that intense and/or high volume training can reduce testosterone in men, so I guess I can't be too surprised when recent blood work revealed that my levels are below the normal range though I'm not sure what that means to me as a woman.

I was curious if any other women athletes have been told they have low testosterone, and what are the issues this can cause for a woman?  I hear about the issues men have but I've never heard of side effects, conditions or issues for women with low levels.  Are there any?

I assume there is a link to adrenaline levels, and the term adrenal fatigue is one tossed around so often among people I know who train hard.  I would be interested to hear about anyone's experience (especially the women) with low testosterone and/or adrenal fatigue.

2013-02-11 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4617657

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: Low testosterone for a female

Though I do not have that issue one thing I can see is: in addition to the sexual side effects low testosterone will tend to cause a decrease in muscle mass and tone as it is an anabolic steroid.  This might also lead to fatigue.  The question is are you normally on the low end of the testosterone spectrum or is this a new development?  If you are normally fairly low on the scale this may be just a minor blip.

2013-02-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4617769

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
trinnas - 2013-02-11 3:08 PM

Though I do not have that issue one thing I can see is: in addition to the sexual side effects low testosterone will tend to cause a decrease in muscle mass and tone as it is an anabolic steroid.  This might also lead to fatigue.  The question is are you normally on the low end of the testosterone spectrum or is this a new development?  If you are normally fairly low on the scale this may be just a minor blip.

I really don't know that I've ever had it measured before.  I definitely haven't seen any recent changes in muscle mass or sex drive, both are status quo.

2013-02-11 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4617781

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
noelle1230 - 2013-02-11 3:11 PM
trinnas - 2013-02-11 3:08 PM

I really don't know that I've ever had it measured before.  I definitely haven't seen any recent changes in muscle mass or sex drive, both are status quo.

Unless it was way low, if you are not feeling any adverse effects I think I would either A) do nothing and wait for another test to be low before I worried about it or B) start with some of the natural testerone boosters.

For me is it sodium levels.  Mine are naturally low so it is not uncommon for me to test a little below the normal range.  next time they test me I am usually back in my low normal spot.  Remember levels are tested in a range or normal because humans come with a range of normals.  One "out of normal" test is not an indication of a problem usually unless it is a large drop.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low testosterone for a female Rss Feed