General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Give Me Your Best Juicer Recommendation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-14 3:20 PM

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Subject: Give Me Your Best Juicer Recommendation
Looking for a new juicer priced maybe up to $2-250. Not looking for a blender (vitamix/blendtec, etc) but a true juicer. Probably one of the most important features for me will be ease of cleanup and durability. Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by Triguy67 2013-02-14 3:21 PM

2013-02-18 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4622748

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Give Me Your Best Juicer Recommendation

We have a Breville Juice Fountain. Easy clean up, has a low and a high speed for different types of vegetables. We've done a few juicing fasts in the last year and have put it through lots of high use. It has held up really well. And it's only $150.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/beverages/juicers/juice-fountain-plus-je98xl.html

2013-02-18 9:01 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Do some research on centrifugal v. auger v. masticating. The high speed (cheaper) juicers really tear up the integrity of the nutrients & such. 

I got an Omega VRT350 slow auger. It's not 'slow' to make juice, but the juicing mechanism is more gentle. 

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_dnav_bw_ir03_s?node=289926&search-alias=kitchen&sort=relevancerank&hidden-keywords=single%20auger&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=9662B8608A5541CAAA84&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1398999782&pf_rd_i=289926

Here's a basic article, but I'd suggest you do a lot more research about what you think you need. 
http://cookingequipment.about.com/od/reviewsrecommendations/f/Masticating-vs-centrifugal-juicer.htm

2013-02-18 3:55 PM

I would say to go with some sort of masticating juicer since they are supposed to preserve way more nutrients than a centrifugal juicer. Masticating juicers operate at slower speeds so they don't heat up the juice which is when the enzymes start being destroyed.

As for which one, I like the Green Star a lot myself. I found a really good Green Star review here if you want to give it a read. That should give you more details and all of the features for that one.

Edited by SteveL148 2013-02-18 3:55 PM
2013-03-01 11:25 AM

User image

New user

Snowmass Village
I have a hybrid juicer from The Juiceman, Jay Kordich.  It's like a centrifugal but runs a bit slower (no heat build up) and will juice nuts and wheatgrass as well as everything else.  I've had regular centrifugal machines and they are a cheap way to start juicing.  Certainly research the different kinds of motors as one has suggested already.  I love mine and was able to get it fairly cheap as a factory refurbished model.
2013-03-06 9:28 AM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
What do you think of the Nutribullet???

2013-03-08 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4648389

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
husse23 - 2013-03-06 7:28 AM

What do you think of the Nutribullet???

I actually have a Nutribullet and use it for smoothies, etc. and love it. For the price I don't think it can be beat. Even throwing in various greens, it does a very nice job. Maybe not to the extent of a Vitamix or other high-end blender, but not very far behind.

But with that said, looking for a true juicer, not another blender.

For those posts regarding the masticating type juicer and lack of heat build-up that is supposed to preserve the nutrients better than a centrifugel type machine, I've read articles that suggest unless the juice is heated to approx 118 degrees or higher that there is no material enzyme breakdown and no damage to the nutrients. If the fruit/veges are well chilled and used right out of the refrigerator most juicers aren't going to heat the juice output to that degree and thus no damage. I think the biggest argument for using a masticating/slow juicer would be the volume of juice obtained, which will be higher than virtually any centrifugel juicer.
2013-03-08 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4626536

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
kziemer - 2013-02-18 7:39 AM

We have a Breville Juice Fountain. Easy clean up, has a low and a high speed for different types of vegetables. We've done a few juicing fasts in the last year and have put it through lots of high use. It has held up really well. And it's only $150.

I have this one, too.  Surprisingly easy to clean up.

2013-03-08 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4652601

User image

New user
Dallas, TX
jeffnboise - 2013-03-08 4:36 PM
kziemer - 2013-02-18 7:39 AM

I have this one, too.  Surprisingly easy to clean up.

Same here, been using it for  almost a year 2-3 times a week. Still running great and is easy to clean up after. 

2013-03-09 10:23 PM
in reply to: #4651901

User image

Saint Paul, MN

Triguy67 - 2013-03-08 11:03 AM
husse23 - 2013-03-06 7:28 AM What do you think of the Nutribullet???
I actually have a Nutribullet and use it for smoothies, etc. and love it. For the price I don't think it can be beat. Even throwing in various greens, it does a very nice job. Maybe not to the extent of a Vitamix or other high-end blender, but not very far behind. But with that said, looking for a true juicer, not another blender. For those posts regarding the masticating type juicer and lack of heat build-up that is supposed to preserve the nutrients better than a centrifugel type machine, I've read articles that suggest unless the juice is heated to approx 118 degrees or higher that there is no material enzyme breakdown and no damage to the nutrients. If the fruit/veges are well chilled and used right out of the refrigerator most juicers aren't going to heat the juice output to that degree and thus no damage. I think the biggest argument for using a masticating/slow juicer would be the volume of juice obtained, which will be higher than virtually any centrifugel juicer.

Don't slow juicers also work better with leafy greens like kale and spinach?

2013-03-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4653440

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
jlruhnke - 2013-03-09 8:23 PM

Triguy67 - 2013-03-08 11:03 AM
husse23 - 2013-03-06 7:28 AM What do you think of the Nutribullet???
I actually have a Nutribullet and use it for smoothies, etc. and love it. For the price I don't think it can be beat. Even throwing in various greens, it does a very nice job. Maybe not to the extent of a Vitamix or other high-end blender, but not very far behind. But with that said, looking for a true juicer, not another blender. For those posts regarding the masticating type juicer and lack of heat build-up that is supposed to preserve the nutrients better than a centrifugel type machine, I've read articles that suggest unless the juice is heated to approx 118 degrees or higher that there is no material enzyme breakdown and no damage to the nutrients. If the fruit/veges are well chilled and used right out of the refrigerator most juicers aren't going to heat the juice output to that degree and thus no damage. I think the biggest argument for using a masticating/slow juicer would be the volume of juice obtained, which will be higher than virtually any centrifugel juicer.

Don't slow juicers also work better with leafy greens like kale and spinach?

I've heard that, yes. But I've also read that your typical juicer will work reasonably well with leafy greens if you ball them up and feed them inbetween two firmer fruits/veges (e.g. carrots, followed by a ball of spinach/kale, etc. followed by apples). That strategy is supposed to work pretty well. If you're just trying to do leafy greens by themselves, I think you're right, the masticating type will work better.

2013-03-22 12:16 AM

Masticating juicer all the way. The slower crush and press action of the auger doesn't add air to the juice. The high speed centrifugal type juices does add air to the juice. Once air is added to the juice, as evidenced by foam, the nutrients begin to oxidize. The juice from a centrifugal juicer is recommended to be drank within 30 mins or so of juicing, while juice from a masticating juicer can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours without significant nutrient loss.

disclaimer: I in no way did any firsthand research of the contents of the juice or nutrients so if others have better more factual data please share. My knowledge comes from the many hours of reading forums like this one, nutritional "experts" videos, blogs and papers, and product comparison websites.

With that being said, I eventually bought an Omega 8006. That thing is a beast! It takes whatever I put into it and wants more. Not a single issue or real complaint. One minor minus is the size of intake shoot. Its a tad small necessitating more food prep, but not anything worthy of giving my purchase a second thought.

The pulp comes out dry, disassembles quickly and easily, dishwasher safe, and the juice really does keep for 72 hours. One time I even had juice 5 days after juicing without noticeable flavor change.   As an added bonus it comes with an attachment for making homemade pasta and a 15 year warranty!

just my $0.02

Edited by rcrfc 2013-03-22 12:22 AM
2013-03-22 8:31 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I bought a juice Fountain Elite a couple weeks ago. It makes good juice and  is relative easy to clean, but the seemed to produce a lot of wet pulp. I decided to take it back to W-S and exchange it for a Hurom slow juicer. So glad I did. The pulp is drier, so you get more juice, and it is easier to clean than a Juice Fountain. Centrifugal juicers have a lot finer screen. I would recommend a masticating juicer as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Give Me Your Best Juicer Recommendation Rss Feed