General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello (Alberta, Canada) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-14 11:24 PM

Subject: Hello (Alberta, Canada)

I am so excited to be joining this forum!

I live in Western Canada and will be participating in my 1st triathlon this year! I wanted to do one back in 2010 but I got sick and never got around to it.

I told myself I wouldnt forget and now 3 years later, I am ready!

I'm all registered to do a Sprint Triathlon in 2 months . . . 17.5k Cylce, 5k run and 500m swim.

The running and cycling, I think I can do. . . the swimming, is freaking me out! 

A bit about myself. . . I'm female, in my 20's and in my last year of University Cool. . . applying to Law School and  can hopefully check off "become a triathlete" off my bucket list! 

M

2013-02-15 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4623196

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-15 12:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Hello (Alberta, Canada)
missmissy - 2013-02-14 10:24 PM

I am so excited to be joining this forum!

I live in Western Canada and will be participating in my 1st triathlon this year! I wanted to do one back in 2010 but I got sick and never got around to it.

I told myself I wouldnt forget and now 3 years later, I am ready!

I'm all registered to do a Sprint Triathlon in 2 months . . . 17.5k Cylce, 5k run and 500m swim.

The running and cycling, I think I can do. . . the swimming, is freaking me out! 

A bit about myself. . . I'm female, in my 20's and in my last year of University Cool. . . applying to Law School and  can hopefully check off "become a triathlete" off my bucket list! 

M

Which triathlon are you doing?

2013-02-15 6:48 PM

Veteran
Great White North
Sounds like the MRU sprint in Calgary?I might sign up for the officials clinic that weekend and get some practical done.
2013-02-15 9:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Missy, just a fast welcome from BC.

I wanted to suggest you get to the pool pretty soon and check out what kind of coaching might be available to you.  I hadn't done any swimming in decades (I'm retired) but I went to our local pool last January just barely able to swim 50m without gasping for breath.  I joined an informal group "Swim Fit" that offers 3 sessions a week with a coach - for FREE! (I'm sure not many pools do that).

The results have been phenomenal.  This January I swam 20,000yds and Wendesday this week I swam 2000m in under an hour and a 1000mTT (Time trial) in 24 minutes.  As one of the others mentioned I love my time in the pool and I can't believe how much I've improved.  All still slow but I am having a great time working on it.

Being in your twenties, you'll improve even faster.  I'd imagine your Sprint is a pool swim but if you do an open water swim this summer make sure you do some open water swimming practice.  In my 1st Sprint I got too keyed up and couldn't breath so I wound up doing a slow breaststroke for the swim.  I got myself together for my 2nd Sprint and did much better.

I also recommend volunteering at triathlons as a great way to learn and meet people with similar interests or great advice.

Have fun.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-02-15 9:36 PM
2013-02-24 8:42 PM

Alberta

If you have the opportunity look into the Lifesport training camp in Banff at the end of june.......Starts Friday and runs till Sunday.  Good exposure to open water swims in a group with coach environment, plus the chance to meet some great people and it's for all levels.  I'll be attending it this year.  The price is reasonable for the 3-days........   Best advice I can give is work on technique first and formost, especially when it comes to swimming, its all about efficiency.  I'd even suggest checking out a masters swim group in your area.  (take the term 'masters' lightly....it's for all swim levels, all age groups)

P.S. Have Fun!!!!Laughing

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello (Alberta, Canada) Rss Feed