General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fundraising through triathlon - does this sound like a good idea?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-17 12:48 AM

Subject: Fundraising through triathlon - does this sound like a good idea??

Hi all!

A little over 6 months ago I posted to BT after I lost my fiancè, about trying to recover from his loss and so on and so forth.

Well this summer (I am in Australia) I have done a few enticer length triathlons, have started swimming squads (which are great fun but hard work!) and I have been trying to think about how I can honour my fiancè by raising some money for charities that helped him.

He had muscular dystrophy, so Muscular Dystrophy Australia is one charity I would like to help, as well as another charity that helped him immensely with equipment, housing and employment. I have plucked a random number out of the air, and I am aiming to raise $10,000 to split between the two charities (so $5000 each).

Now I am aiming to bump up to sprint length triathlons, so thought that next season I would try and do a triathlon in every state and territory of Australia (meaning a total of 8 triathlons) - does this sound like a good idea, and does anyone have any tips to help me move in that direction??

I figure if I can get 200 people to donate $50 each, then it's not such an impossible task. Can I approach companies to help with my costs? (I only work as a carer for people with disabilities, and don't earn a tonne of money) - would need help with airfares, petrol etc.

Would love to get some feedback - thanks!

2013-02-18 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4625458

User image

Regular
NSW
Subject: RE: Fundraising through triathlon - does this sound like a good idea??

I think that is a fantastic idea, and great way of honouring your fiance, whilst giving you something to drive you.

Your goal looks reasonably acheivable, although I did not quite get what timeframe you were looking at doing it in.My suggestion is that you set yourself up some sort of marketing page (either using facebook and/or a blog), and make sure that you have a discussion with the charity as well. Sometimes they can set up an easy way for people to donate money direct to the charity and often people feel more comfortable doing it directly as they can then claim it against their tax and also it removes any chance of the money going to someone who is fraudulent (not that I am suggestion that you are!).

Use friends and friends of friends as your first line of fire, those people who knew you and particularly your fiance.

Also you might have to check with the ATO about whether there is any income tax considerations. I don't know enough about the rules, but I would suggest you check what you have to declare, particularly when businesses are sponsoring you through paying for your food and travel etc. If they were say sponsoring an outfit you are wearing that is a different matter.

So with a site up and a bit of a flyer on what you are doing and why, it would definitely be worthwhile to look for some businesses who are willing to sponsor you.

What have you go to lose?

Good on you....and good luck!

2013-02-18 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

firstgiving.com

A lot of charities are alreasdy registered here (not sure if it's US specific, though). I've found asking through Facebook has been pretty good for a small amount of fundraising. For something bigger you might consider adding an incentive (for example, each donation could buy a chance at a raffle). Good luck!

2013-02-18 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I started tri's primarily to honor my Dad, to raise money for Lung Cancer charities.

So yep, good way to go about it.

2013-02-18 12:15 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
I don't see anything wrong with it.
2013-02-19 12:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

As the Vice President of the Board of Directors for the Nevada Senior Olympic Games, my main focus is fund raising, as we work and exist totally on donations.

There are 3 web sites I use to solicit financial help.  They are great for individuals, non profits, and entrepreneurs.

If you want to see an example, I use indiegogo.com, click on browse and type senior fitness in the keyword search box.

I also use gofundme.com.  For my site, type in gofundme.com/nevada-senior-games

The third one I use is razoo.com/story/senior-games-nevada

Alll of them require quite a bit of marketing through normal channels, social media and mobile media.

2013-02-19 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4626903

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
metafizx - 2013-02-18 12:59 PM

I started tri's primarily to honor my Dad, to raise money for Lung Cancer charities.

So yep, good way to go about it.

Great sentiment.  I raced CdA in honor of my dad, who passed from lung cancer.  I worked with a local/regional cancer clinic to raise funds.  In my case, the charity I worked with helped me set up a web site and all proceeds raised went directly to the charity.  When I was researching how best to do this, I found a number of firms that would assist with fundraising but all of them took a cut.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fundraising through triathlon - does this sound like a good idea?? Rss Feed