General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What type of bike fit should i get? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-17 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: What type of bike fit should i get?

Hello everyone

I have recently been offered 15% off any bike fit that I want to get.

I basically have 3 options and I was just wondering which one you would recommend me getting. My A race this season is Half Iron Man in September... I also have a Scott Speedster S30 2011 Road Bike with clip on aero bars

The options I have available are a basic (dynamic fit), advanced (dynamic fit) and Retul fit. 

They can all be found at the following links

http://www.cadenceperformance.com/dynamic-bike-fitting/

http://www.cadenceperformance.com/services/bike-fitting/

Thanks for any advice

2013-02-17 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4625668

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: What type of bike fit should i get?

Have you ever been fit before?

2013-02-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4625674

User image

Veteran
NewClydesdale - 2013-02-17 10:55 AM

Have you ever been fit before?

No never before

2013-02-17 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Houston

While a retul fit might be warranted I am fond of a stair step approach.

I prefer to start with a basic fit, and ride with that for a while, then go for a retul or other more advanced fit once I'm comfortable in my position. 

A good fitter should be able to get you in a reasonable position without the measurements and comparison tools a more advanced fit would provide.  As you ride more in that position you might want to go back for either minor adjustments, or a more thorough process.

if you are looking at a new bike, then I would go with the RETUL to try and pick the best option.

Just my thoughts, I'm no expert.

2013-02-17 12:07 PM

I have a couple custom road frames (http://kbedfordcustoms.com/) which were designed during a fit process and I also have a Cyfac (used) which was fit to me by the same fitter.

Some points:

Do you trust them? Because it is on sale, that might not mean the fit will be good value. Ask around for recommended fitters in your area.

Have a conversation with the fitter you trust and who comes recommended about what your needs are, what your goals are and let them help you and tell you what you need.

Do you have special needs? Back, knee, neck pain? That might drive your decision. I had two herniated discs in my lower back.

It is a process, not a one time and your done deal. I had numerous visits. The first was some modification to my current bike at the time, then I had to ride the modifications and get my body and muscles to adjust to the changes. Then I went back in with feedback about what was good, bad etc. Then some more tweaking.

The fit process, IMO, is a relationship you have with your fitter. Be honest, no BS, let them help you.

Lastly, and lots of tri folks are guilty of this, don't act like you know it all when you go in.

I have loved the progress and results from meeting with my fitter. My first bike, I saw increases of 1.25 MPH immediately with the changes he made. My custom bikes feel great, ride great and fit my riding style. I climb better than ever and they are designed around my build/strengths and riding style.

Best of luck.
PM if you want my guys name, I am in the Baltimore/DC area

2013-02-17 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks very much guys, I will go and speak to the fitter before I get anything done, and then take it from there

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What type of bike fit should i get? Rss Feed