General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming Back After Collar Bone Surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-17 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Coming Back After Collar Bone Surgery

So cross your fingers that Tuesday at my Doctors appointment I get clearance to be fully back in the swing of things! I broke my collar bone about 9 weeks ago and had surgery  6 weeks ago and got a plate and 6 screws in it. I was cleared a few weeks ago to get on trainer and power walk, but I should get running and swiming and biking on the road clearance. My coach has my schedule laid out for this week since I have a half iron in 12 weeks!

Any suggestions? Is 12 weeks pushing it for my first HIM after an injury like this? I have been busting my tail on the trainer and power walking a 12 min mile for like 10-12 miles for my long "walk". He has me running 6 for my long run this week and increasing it from there.

2013-02-17 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4625979

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Coming Back After Collar Bone Surgery
Considering your injury was to a bone that is part of your rotator cuff, I would be more concerned about swimming.
2013-02-17 6:43 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Can you do a 1/2 IM in 12 weeks. Sure. Especially if you have been training for some time before the injury and you didn't just "do nothing" the last few weeks. (doesn't sound like you did nothing) 12 weeks is plenty enough time to get in shape to finish.

One thing I'd suggest is as soon as possible, try on your wetsuit (if you plan on wearing one) and see if you can stand it. I had to buy a 2-piece suit to take some of the pressure off my collarbone after my surgery.

2013-02-17 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4625995

User image

Veteran
Alta

Oysterboy - 2013-02-17 6:04 PM Considering your injury was to a bone that is part of your rotator cuff, I would be more concerned about swimming.

How is your collar bone a part of the rotator cuff? Supraspinatus, Infraspinatus, teres minor, and subscapularis all have origins on the scapula and insertions on the humerous.

Follow the advice of your PT and DO, but you should not have to many issues. Add volume slowly and accept that your swim might be a min or two slower than what you are capable of. In the grand scheme of things, (i.e. the rest of the day), that is peanuts. Good luck and let us know how everything goes!

2013-02-17 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4625995

User image

Veteran

Oysterboy - 2013-02-17 6:04 PM Considering your injury was to a bone that is part of your rotator cuff, I would be more concerned about swimming.

Yeah Im concerned about that as well... I was in a sling for a month and a half and its amazing how much muscle you loose... I know my range of motion has suffered... and I cant do any over head movements or swimming till tuesday...

2013-02-17 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4626094

User image

Elite
Cleveland
rungirl222 - 2013-02-17 8:47 PM

Yeah Im concerned about that as well... I was in a sling for a month and a half and its amazing how much muscle you loose... I know my range of motion has suffered... and I cant do any over head movements or swimming till tuesday...

Wow, a month and a half in a sling?  They had me out of the sling in 10 days after mine and I had (have) a Grade 2 AC separation to go with it (and torn tissue in the elbow, a broken rib and a destroyed wrist).  5 weeks post-op, I was already in the gym lifting weights, overhead and everything.

I guess maybe it all depends upon where you broke it, maybe?

2013-02-18 1:56 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

As others have said, it depends on your previous level of fitness. 3 months from zero to HIM is a tall order. But 3 months to get back into HIM shape after being pretty fit before is quite feasible. If you swim fine and can control the bike pace appropriate to your fitness, then it comes down to having the run endurance to handle the 13.1.

When I had a collar bone break a couple of years ago I was surprised at how quickly I came back. I was too slow to start regaining mobility and strength in my arms/shoulder, and when I started out it was both hard and painful. But once I started working on it, I regained strength quickly. I was not a swimmer at the time, but once I did start swimming soon after that I found that the swimming seemed to actually help me to get rid of the shoulder pain.

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming Back After Collar Bone Surgery Rss Feed