General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disappointed with race times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-28 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Disappointed with race times
Had my first race of the season yesterday (Webster MA - for you locals). 1/2 mile swim, 12 bike, 3 run - the transition area was quite a ways from the beach
I felt really good racing but my times did not reflect that.
Overall 15th in age group 185 overall (250 or so racers)
My swim was 18:56 - 15th in my age group and 179 overall
Bike - 48:32 15th/189 - this was dissapointing for me I'm strong on the bike. My transition killed me - over 3 minutes here not inlcuding the run from the beach
Run - 25:05 15th/184 - didn't push as hard as i should have or could have - it was an out and back run and when I don't know where turnaround are I tend to keep energy in a reserve - always good to know the course before hand - dang it!

The ride was a nice rolling course with a huge climb at the halfway point. I was strong on the hills - I can catch people on hills it is my strength. The downhill is what killed me - I braked the whole time. I mean the downhill looked like a free fall. Heard later someone paralyzed themselves last year on the course.

Oh well first race of the seaon - I finished and have a olympic in 2 weeks, then maybe another sprint and Timberman.

Any words of wisdom for conquering a down hill would be lovely.

Sunday was a beautiful racing day - I wish I felt more pleased with my self - like no energy in reserve when I cross the line.

2004-06-28 10:43 PM
in reply to: #34227

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: RE: Disappointed with race times
I don't think I can offer any words of wisdom - downhills scare the *%#&&*$ out of me too!!! I suspect it has something to do with my self-preservation instinct.

I am still learning every race I run - and I am still improving my own times. That may be the best way to look at your results, how did you do against you own personal best?

Good luck with the rest of your races,

Dennis
2004-06-29 12:16 PM
in reply to: #34227

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Disappointed with race times
I PR'd - so I guess I should hold on to that. Yeah PR!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disappointed with race times Rss Feed