General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fluid Trainer and Tyre wear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-02 10:51 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: Fluid Trainer and Tyre wear

Hi,

Im just about to finally pull the trigger and order my first ever trainer in the interest of getting more bike time. BUT I know i have read here before the trainers tend to wear the tyres...

Does this mean I will also need to look at buying a new set of tyres in a few months when the weather warms up? (trying to work out the budget)

I just have a basic bike and tyres so i would certainly benefit from some better tyres but wouldnt want to spend the money if I could help it!

Thanks for the help
Cat

2006-07-03 1:52 AM
in reply to: #472467

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Subject: RE: Fluid Trainer and Tyre wear
Hey,

You can get a special trainer tyre that i) gives better grip and ii) lasts longer. Just don't use it on the road! So either tyre changing practice or getting a spare wheel...
2006-07-03 6:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brookhaven, PA (Philly Burbs)
Most roadies buy an old tire, and never worry about having to change it our because:

1) they are doing most of their trainer work in the winter, and rarely ever take the bike outside
2) they, like me, have a spare set of wheels that are usually their "race wheels"

Sounds like you're only going to be using the trainer intermittently during the summer. I'd venture to say that if you're not putting more then 2 hours a week on it, you should be ok. Its the winter time training where you're logging an hour a night or more for many consecutive weeks that will start to eat through your rubber.

2006-07-03 11:25 PM
in reply to: #472525

User image

Champion
Sydney

dursofd - 2006-07-03 11:10 PM Most roadies buy an old tire, and never worry about having to change it our because: 1) they are doing most of their trainer work in the winter, and rarely ever take the bike outside 2) they, like me, have a spare set of wheels that are usually their "race wheels" Sounds like you're only going to be using the trainer intermittently during the summer. I'd venture to say that if you're not putting more then 2 hours a week on it, you should be ok. Its the winter time training where you're logging an hour a night or more for many consecutive weeks that will start to eat through your rubber.

Its winter here so riding in the dark is not my thing which is why Im getting the trainer which I guess will be used up to an hour a night 5-6 days a week...so Im going to have to invest in some cheap tyres? Or some expensinve ones to change out when summer comes...

2006-07-03 11:27 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
What about those super protective tires like Continental Gatorskins or specialized aradillos?
2006-07-04 10:40 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
The local bike shop owner told me that trainers are often set up too tight to the tire, causing excess wear. He said the tire should slip a little when you are first getting started. Then, as the tire and trainer wheel warm up they will get more traction and stop slipping. A few minutes of slipping on a cool tire saves a lot of wear on a hot tire over the rest of the workout.

I bought rollers instead of a trainer so I haven't done this myself yet, but it seemed to make sense. Can anyone confirm or refute the technique?

2006-07-04 10:51 AM
in reply to: #473404

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Micawber - 2006-07-04 11:40 AM The local bike shop owner told me that trainers are often set up too tight to the tire, causing excess wear. He said the tire should slip a little when you are first getting started. Then, as the tire and trainer wheel warm up they will get more traction and stop slipping. A few minutes of slipping on a cool tire saves a lot of wear on a hot tire over the rest of the workout. I bought rollers instead of a trainer so I haven't done this myself yet, but it seemed to make sense. Can anyone confirm or refute the technique?

I've heard the same thing.  However, I saved an old back tire and plan on getting a cheap rim and cassette when I decide to get a trainer.

2006-07-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: #473404

Elite
Laurium, MI

Micawber - 2006-07-04 9:40 AM The local bike shop owner told me that trainers are often set up too tight to the tire, causing excess wear. He said the tire should slip a little when you are first getting started. Then, as the tire and trainer wheel warm up they will get more traction and stop slipping. A few minutes of slipping on a cool tire saves a lot of wear on a hot tire over the rest of the workout. I bought rollers instead of a trainer so I haven't done this myself yet, but it seemed to make sense. Can anyone confirm or refute the technique?

exactly.  With proper tension the trainer puts just as much or less wear on a tire then riding it outside.  So if you put a lot of time on the trainer, of course it will wear the tire... just like putting in lots of miles on the road will.  The other thing to consider is your speed.  Fluid trainers increase resistance by increasing wheel speed, so it's possible, depending on your strength, that you are spinning faster then you normally would on the road.  Faster spinning = more wear

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fluid Trainer and Tyre wear Rss Feed