General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking to tri for next season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-03 12:36 AM

New user

In a bean bag eating cheerios
Subject: Looking to tri for next season
I'm trying to get in shape for next years tri season. I go to CU and would like to be in enough shape to go out for the club team and have fun. I'm looking for someone who can teach me how to swim because I am horrible and be a riding/running buddy. If worse comes to worse is there any good books that include detailoed workouts or swim coaches.

Thanks

2006-07-03 4:47 AM
in reply to: #472488

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Looking to tri for next season
Start working out and ask questions of anyone wearing a tri t-shirt. With few exceptions, most triathletes are pleasant and enjoy talking about what they do. And everyone talks about their bikes (except me, because I don't know anything other than the manufacturer). You'll probably be invited to a run/ride/swim if you show interest. Face it, everyone just started out at some time.

At my last race, I kept bumping into the pros at the hotel, on the elevator, walking to the race, etc. I don't know their names, and wasn't trying to stalk them at all. But it struck me that this is the only sport I know where you can come that close to the top people in the game, and say hello, and ask what they think of the course, and what do they eat on the bike. I even got a wave during the run -- of course, he was finishing it and I was just starting it, but the recognition was good.

Here's the point: if you do it, you'll find what you're looking for.

As for books, you're in college and probably broke. Don't buy -- skim the materials at Barnes & Noble, or read the articles on this site. There are plenty of free training plans out there if you look.

2006-07-10 11:15 PM

New user

In a bean bag eating cheerios
I have done everything you said and i still suck at swimming. I am sure that it is my form because I keep swiming and swimming and am not getting faster or much more endurance
2006-07-11 8:33 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hang in there with the swimming, it WILL get better.  You could check out a book called Total Immersion (even look at the library).  Over the winter, the Boulder Tri Club will have swim lessons (www.teambtc.org)   I think it took me about 6 months (maybe longer) to get comfortable with swimming......also look into a Masters swim group.  Masters means you are over 19, not that you are an excellent swimmer   www.comsa.com (might be comsa.org?

Good luck!

2006-07-11 11:47 PM

Veteran
Does the CU rec center have swim lessons? If not I would look into the link COGirl gave because I think they have lessons at different times during the year. Also most rec centers give private lessons. A lot depends on how much you want to spend on that sport.

2006-07-12 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Be patient. Ive been swimming 3X a month the last month trying to get ready for my tri in August and feel like Im not getting any better. I know it is easy to say and hard to do, but you have to relax and breathe slow. I did get a lesson and helps me ALOT. I plan to get another one next week.

Good luck...hang in there.

2006-07-17 2:32 PM

Lakewood, Colorado
I used to start out way to fast, and would run out of gas after 125m doing the free style stroke. I would then do the breast stroke until I could catch my breath. Feeling dejected one day about the "swim", I sat in the sauna and watched a guy free style. His cadence looked almost painfully slow, but he was lapping me in the pool with ease. Watch someone who knows what they are doing, and try to mimic their form. See if that helps for starters. Then you might feel a little more comfortable looking to a coach for help.
2006-07-20 11:08 AM

User image

Expert

About the swim... Everything said above is spot on.  When I started doing tri's swimming was definitely the toughest event.  I'm not fast now, but I at least feel like I can hold my own.  For what it's worth, here are a couple tips that helped me the most:

1. Learn bilateral breathing - it's difficult at first, but it's worth the effort to be able to breathe on both sides
  2. Focus on body position - You want your body to be level in the water.  Pretend your leaning on your chest.  Some people call it "pressing the T"  The idea is to lean on your chest so your legs don't hang lower in the water causing drag.
  3. Relax - The more you can relax in the water, the better you'll be able to control your breathing and your body position.
  4. Lastly, just work on on thing at a time.  Whether it's breathing, body position, stroke, recovery, whatever--it's much easier to improve your technique by focusing on one thing at a time.  For example, swim several sets of 100 meters focusing solely on breathing and then swim several other sets focusing on something else.

Hope some of that helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking to tri for next season Rss Feed