General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-03 8:24 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: Swimming Issues
Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a swimming dilemma. I have been training for a year now and I have three tris planned for this summer, (the 1st of which is 7/16). I have done a few open-water swims, but the vast majority of my training (95%) has been in the pool with no wetsuit. I recently started training with a friend of mine who has completed a handful of IronMans and is a total wealth of information.

When we do our OWS together, he always reminds me to slow down my stroke and swim in "slow motion". I definitely have experienced the benefits of slowing down and I realize that I can swim just as fast without expending so much energy than I do with my usual thrashing about.

My problem is not with the idea of swimming with slower, more purposeful strokes, nor is it that I am not comfortable in the open water...
This morning I swam 2500 yards IN THE POOL and tried very hard to focus on technique. I was going well for the first 800 yards or so, (going along at my usual 1:56-2:02/100yard average) all while swimming in "slow motion", but as I began to tire, it was back to my old ways.

I feel like the wet suit makes it easier to swim with longer strokes and I think I spend a lot of energy just trying to keep my legs and hips up in the water - and when I slow down my strokes, staying afloat becomes more difficult.

Am I making any sense here? Can anyone please share with me some ideas that will make me more efficient and help me slow down my strokes more comfortably?

Thanks
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Issues Rss Feed