General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit help, first triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-26 8:53 PM

New user

Subject: Wetsuit help, first triathlon

I'm competing in my first triathlon on the weekend.  As a bit of background I've done running and cycling in the last 3 years but no swimming for 10 years and even then it was rare and minimal so I'm no swimmer.  The last couple of days I've done 2 swims.  First night one I struggled to go 100m then the second night time I managed 200m albiet very slow.  After this 200m I managed another few 100m in the same night.  I've still 2 more session to go until race day.

The swim in this one is 200m in the open water.  Water temp about 18 degree Celcius.  There might be 30 or so people in my wave and I plan on keeping a wide berth to stay out of the argy bargy.

Its been suggested that I wear a wetsuit to help provide buoyancy and make it easier for myself.  Trouble is I don't know of one I can borrow and don't want to fork out big money for one event. 

I've spotted one at Kmart that is only $20 and is Aerial brand.  Although you get what you pay for is this cheapy likely to provide a least a little assistance or can a cheap wetsuit actually have the opposite affect and cause more trouble than its worth ?

Any suggestion appreciated.  I know I've left my prep a bit late but sometimes you just need to decide to do something and have a go otherwise you will be forever 'gunna' do it.

Edited by Cobalt765 2013-02-26 8:54 PM

2013-02-26 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4638373

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Wetsuit help, first triathlon

Rent one if you use one. Google Wetsuit Rentals.  Not sure where you are located, but they ship.  I am on the West Coast and rented from Wetsuitrentals.com (Washington State).  Reasonable. 

If you haven't used one before I would suggest you give it a try before the race.  Can be pretty restricting the first couple of times if you aren't used to it.  200 yards maybe not.

2013-02-26 9:00 PM

Calgary

Do you live somewhere that has a tri store?  They often rent wetsuits which I think is your best buck bang.  I would get it as soon as possible too and use it before race day as you will quickly learn the first time joys of not only putting on a suit but taking it off - body glyde and grocery bag works wonders.

Sorry, don't personally have experience with a cheapy suit.

2013-02-26 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Cobalt,

18deg C is probably cool but not too bad for a 200m swim in just a bathing suit.  Although if you're talking salt water and may be exposed to jelly fish (even just the annoying kind) then even a cheapy suit may be helpful.

The cheapy suit is likely more of a boarding/waterskiing wetsuit and not great for swimming but try it on and see if it fits fairly snugly or not.  If it is loose you might find it will slow you down.  The advantage of a good wetsuit is it gives you buoyancy so you only have to worry about forward motion.  You are right to want to try the TRI before buying a wetsuit.  If you love it then a wetsuit is well worth buying but if you don't it'd be quite a waste.  Whatever you decide - try swimming in open water to see what it is like - atleast a few times before your TRI.

You can also talk to your race organizers and see what they recommend or go to local Tri shops and see what they suggest.  Renting a wetsuit is a good option but for 200m it would likely take you longer to take off the wetsuit than the swim itself.  If you do rent a wetsuit it is even more critical to swim in it and practice removing it without ripping it.

Don't worry about argy bargy in a 30 person heat.  They'll spread out pretty quickly.  To save some time look for quick tie shoelaces for your runners.  They'll save you time in your T2.  I also swam in my tri-shorts under my wetsuit so when I removed the suit I was ready to ride - once I put on my helmet and bike shoes.

Good luck and have fun in your first.  Hopefully you'll have a great time.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-02-26 9:26 PM
2013-02-26 10:15 PM

New user

Thanks for the replies.  I'm in country Australia, no tri shops within 500km of me.  Only 3 days until the tri and no chance of open water swim before then.  My training from here will consist of 2 pool swims.

Not really worried about the time, just worried about struggling in the water hence wondering if a cheapie suit will be better than nothing.  For $20 might as well get one and see.

2013-02-28 7:27 AM

New user
For a 200m swim I would skip the wetsuit all together.  You might be cold, but it will only be for a couple min.  I think I've swam in pools colder than 18 degrees celcius.

2013-02-28 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
A cheap wetsuit not designed for swimming will not help. Rent a sleeveless triathlon wetsuit this late in the game. 18 is not than cold. Take this as a lesson of what not to do if you take up the sport.
2013-02-28 8:49 AM

For $20, I can't imagine what you will be getting. I would skip buying that one. The swim is short enough to go without one. If other people are wearing them look at what kind they have and ask if they like them.
2013-02-28 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4640117

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
dvilliotti - 2013-02-28 6:27 AM

For a 200m swim I would skip the wetsuit all together.  You might be cold, but it will only be for a couple min.  I think I've swam in pools colder than 18 degrees celcius.

X2 - It sounds like you will have enough on your mind without having to deal with a wetsuit - especially one that it not designed for swimming. If you can, go in for a short warm-up swim just before the race to get a feel for the water temp. Then, during the race, do as you said - stay clear of the melee, relax, and enjoy!
2013-02-28 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Not sure what your looking for in a wetsuit. If it's for the warmth, I agree with the others that 18 isn't too cold to swim without. If it's for the bouyancy issue, a well fitting suit that is made for triathlon will save you 10 seconds/100M at best. On the flip side if you are wearing an ill fitting loose suit that fills with water, it will only slow you down.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit help, first triathlon Rss Feed