General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing something for a cause bigger than myself @ IMAZ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-28 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: Doing something for a cause bigger than myself @ IMAZ
??I'm thinking about taking on something bigger than me, but I'm not 100% where to start and where to go. Being in the military for over 15 years now I thought it could be something as simple as putting the POW/MIA logo on my disc wheel and wearing a racekit with the same, or wounded warrior project etc. Just seeing it may remind people, if only for a second about these people out there.

But can I do something bigger. I've inspired by fireman rob, and what if I did something similar, what if I took on the marathon in full combat gear? At the same time I don't want to be a copycat, but the thought of doing IMAZ in full gear seems a bit tougher than race gear, maybe I should say a lot tougher.

But where do I go? I don't want to just show up and do it, I would want to make it worth it. How do I go about raising funds etc. Just hit up my friends, put out facebook messages with a site etc?

The idea seems easy, but I don't really know about all the fine details. I think I'll start with contacted the local wounded warrior project and go from there.

2013-02-28 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4640448

Regular
Buffalo
Subject: RE: Doing something for a cause bigger than myself @ IMAZ
I raised $2200 last year as part of a HIM I did.  I contacted the charity who set me up with a donations web page.  I started very early (January for a September race) then just mostly did a posting on Facebook every  couple of weeks.  I was careful not to bug people too much.  I also sent out an email to co-workers and one to friends talking about what I was doing and what I was raising money for.  If you're looking to do something veteran-related, you could also look at Team RWB (www.teamrwb.org).  They have a triathlon group and you can get a custom tri kit for the race.
2013-02-28 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Thank you, after doing a bit more reading I found out that I can do this through the WWp etc.

I'll be doing more research and talking to people finding out what I can and can't do on base and locally since I want to do this in uniform

2013-02-28 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

After what you figure out what you want to do you have to talk it up and get the word out.  If you can get the local TV stations or IM attention they will then do a feature on you.  

I did IM Louisville last year and my local newspaper did a story on me so then the whole town got into supporting me.  So not only AZ stations but also your local area as well.

Edited by krazytallchick 2013-02-28 3:13 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing something for a cause bigger than myself @ IMAZ Rss Feed