General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's Missing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-28 11:51 AM

Subject: What's Missing

Hi All -

Hoping for some help here. I eat a pretty similar diet everyday starting a few years ago when I decided to lose about 50 lbs and start exercising. I am currently at a healthy 157 or so and will be dropping some weight now that training has started again. I feel that something is missing from my diet - I crash pretty often, especially on days where I have a long workout, I often find myself fiending more cereal or extra energy bars or the like during the day, but some days my diet feels perfect. The only thing I can think of is that I am missing carbs throughout the day, but otherwise I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Monday - 2/25/2013:
2+ bowls of Barbara's Peanut Butter Puffins
Coffee with Sweet n Low
Banana
Salad with avacodo and cottage cheese dressing
GoLean Roll Caramel Peanut
Coffee
Salmon with Dijon/Dill Sauce and Salad
Mint Tea
13 Apricots

Tuesday - 2/26/2013:
2 bowls of Kashi GoLean Crunch
Coffee
Bag of baby carrots
Salad with egg and dijon dressing
Peanut Butter Earnest Bar
Coffee
(Healthy) Eggplant parmigiana and peas with onions

Wednesday - 2/27/2013:
2 bowls of Kashi GoLean Crunch
Coffee
Salad with cashews and sunflower seeds and dijon dressing
GoLean Roll Choclate Peanut
Grilled dark meat chicken, peas, and grilled whole peppers
Funky spice tea
Homemade trail mix (cashews, raisins, sunflower seeds)

Thursday - 2/28/2013
2 bows of Kashi Berry
Coffee
Salad with egg and mozzarella cheese and dijon dressing

Thanks!

David

2013-02-28 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4640534

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: What's Missing

What about more fresh fruit? I try to eat an apple every day.. and I also buy fruit in season. I think it helps keep me hydrated. Getting enough sleep is really important too... 

Also, do you feel really hungry? Usually cereal in the morning doesn't keep me that full.. I prefer to eat protein early morning. I do eat a protein bar on most days for breakfast.. or an egg. 

2013-03-03 5:20 PM

New user

Perth, Western Australia
There is another recent thread here about staying fueled and losing weight.  A post in there talks about using Myfitnesspal to keep track of the nutrition as well as calories eg. magnesium.  If you're tired you might be missing some essential nutrient rather than just carbs.
2013-03-04 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Here is my $.02 for what it's worth (not an expert but love talking nutrition). I look at what you are eating and I don't really see a lot of calories or protein in your daily meals. Eating fewer calories to lose weight is one thing but when you are training for endurace sports, you need to add calories to your daily diet so you dont crash and can promote better recovery. try adding a lean protein in your daily lunch. I assume your salad is your lunch so try adding chiken, turkey, tuna or steak to the salad. Maybe add all of your salad ingredients to whole grain bread and making a sandwich to get some mid day carbs in your system. Also, I am not sure how to break down your daily meals. Do you eat 3 squares or 5x a day? it is not quite clear in your breakdown. As for breakfast, try mixing it up a little. I love cereal and usually have a bowl of cherios in the morning with local honey but 2x a week I will mix it up and have eggs and an english muffin or a protein shake. try swapping out your 2 bowls of cereal for something a litte more substantial. try adding an apple to the mix as well. I would also try to add some good carbs to your dinner. Sweet potato, more veggies, quinoa, brown rice, etc to add to your dinner might help replenish your energy stores from the day going into the next. What time of day are you working out? that plays a big role in the nutrition and daily meals too. I also don't know too much about the "Golean rolls" that you are eating. Are they a Meal Replacement Bar or just an energy bar? I would try to swap them out if they are a snack to something like Cottage cheese and fruit or some almonds and raw veggies. One more thing I noticed is that you drink 2 cups of coffee a day usually. I am not saying that is bad but I dont drink the stuff. Others will say it is fine but to me, it is something to stay away from or atleast limit to 1 cup a day. try getting more water in your meals instead of coffee and tea. Hope this helps.
2013-03-04 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
I would agree with the previous posters.  More lean proteins, and fresh fruits and veggies.  Also log your meals and look at your caloric intake vs. expenditure.  If you are only taking in 1500 calories and burning 1200 on a bike ride then yeah you are looking at a potential crash.  I couldn't imagine doing very much on what you are eating.  But then again I am 205 lbs.  But still you're not taking in a whole lot and depending on your training regimen you may be too under fueled.
2013-03-05 7:41 AM

Thanks for your input. I'm going to add it all up using a food/calorie log so I can compare what I take in vs. what I burn. I will also start varying my breakfasts a bit and see where that takes me. How much fruit and protein is usual to eat per day?

- David

2013-03-05 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I try to have a lean protein with lunch and dinner and fruit as 1 snack a day and with either breakfast, lunch or dinner.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's Missing Rss Feed