Atlanta Track Club
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30. Had some fruit, 2 pieces of toast and glass of water.
Event warmup:

I had half of a clif bar at 7:00 and continued drinking water. I was able to stretch out a little bit but never got warmed up. It didn't really matter. You had to stand around for about 25 minutes until you time group started...that kinda killed the mood.
Run
  • 54m 21s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The problem running a race with 55,000 people is that there are very few true runners. Instead you have wanna be runners and walkers. People who walk five wide on the far left of the road. I am sure these are the same people causing issues in rush hour traffic. I almost want to add another .2 miles to the course because of all the bobbing and weaving I had to do.

Felt great for the first three miles...went out a bit too fast. 7.18 at mile 1, 15.37 at mile 2, 22.58 at mile three. I was thinking great at this point. I just set it on cruise control and went.

Somewhere after mile 4, I became nausous. Not certain what the cause was...I felt hydrated. I pulled over and dry heaved a few times, not really producing much. But then I had a horrible taste in my mouth. I tried pull it together for a quick recovery.

I saw my time at mile 5 and knew I wasn't going to PR. I just started coasting at that point, trying to take in the scenary.

I found my friend in the last half mile, so I slowed down and ran with her so that we could cross the finish line together (gosh...i am such a softy). Realistically I think my time would have been closer to 51-52m.
What would you do differently?:

Submit my 10K time and run in a seeded section. too many people to navigate through. Probably didn't help that I have been killing my legs over the past few days.
Post race
Warm down:

I was very hot post race. Took a LONG time to cool down. Felt overheated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

People everywhere. Lack of track speed work. I was too comfortable out there.

Last updated: 2006-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:21 | 06.2 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4