General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maui Vacation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-01 5:20 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Maui Vacation

We are going to be on vacation on Maui the first week of April (3/29 thru 4/04) and was hoping to get some advice on good places to run and swim.  We are staying in Lahaina but will have a car.

Are all the beaches around there safe to swim off of.  Anything to be aware of like currents, boat traffic, sssharks?  I'm especially afraid of sharks.  We've been to Kona a few times and I was afraid to swim off the beach after hearing about two tiger shark attacks a few weeks before we got there.

Any unusual, scenic places to run? 

2013-03-03 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4642769

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Maui Vacation

Lahaina is a great place to stay both for swimming and running.  Kaanapali beach, both North and South are great for swimming - just watch out for paddle boarders - most of the people paddling in these areas are first-timers and don't know to watch out for swimmers.  Currents are usually calm in these areas, although it's winter time and if we get big swells from the north it can wrap around to the west side and make the water a little choppy.

You can run on any of the nearby roads/paths - however, I'd avoid running on the boardwalk/beach path fronting Kaanapali - many do it, but it's not safe traffic-wise and I have a real peeve for the pushy individuals who do it.  Stick to the roads - many are oceanfront, there are wide shoulders and that where "real runners" go.

If you want trail runs, there is a great 5 mile loop trail in the Makawao forest called Kahakapao Loop.  You can probably google a map.  The whole family can come and go at their own pace while you run.  It's well used by lots of walkers, hikers, bikers and families.

Swimming on the south side is great too - the beach fronting Makena Resort and further down to Makena State Beach is awesome, but check the conditions.  There are lifeguards at Makena state beach.

Umm, there are sharks.  But you will most likely see a ton of other wildlife - turtles, rays, and perhaps dolphins.  If the whales are still hanging out you can hear them sing underwater.

Food - you MUST try Paia Fish Market - get a fish sandwich - best deal on the island.  If you are looking for ultimate, super fancy $$ for a special night, Mama's Fish House is a must.  There's also a great little mexican place in Paia - Tortilla's Burrito Co - reasonable and fresh.

Have great trip and let me know if you have any other questions!

2013-03-03 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

In regards to sharks, it's always an uneasy topic...and I think you should feel confident it's safe and fun to do....yet, keeping a few conservative things in mind...like:

I generally swim parallel to the shoreline, and there's a lifeguard (usually) on duty. Always a good idea anyway (cramps, for example).

The lifeguards are pretty savvy, and if there's a potential issue they will notify.

Remember there are tons of people in the water everyday.  Also if you're moving/swimming, anything large would be scare them off, I believe they usually go for still or injured.

As said, there are lifeguards at Makena, and also DT Fleming beach (this is where XTERRA has their swim) in Kapalua.

-go during the day (not morning or evening)

-don't pee in the water

2013-03-05 6:25 PM

User image

Rent a bike from Maui Cyclery and ride up Haleakala    And have Paia Flatbread and a beer after  

I swam a ton last August training for a long swim, but all further south in the Wailea area.  swam in front of the Grand Wailea/Four Seasons, and to and from the Makena Landing.

2013-03-05 9:04 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Thanks for all the great information.  The Kahakapao Loop trail is now on the itinerary as is a drive up to Halehakala but I'll hike/run into the crater. 

Were you just kidding about peeing in the water?

2013-03-05 11:35 PM
in reply to: #4648022

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
popsracer - 2013-03-05 4:04 PM

Thanks for all the great information.  The Kahakapao Loop trail is now on the itinerary as is a drive up to Halehakala but I'll hike/run into the crater. 

Were you just kidding about peeing in the water?

I guess sort of...but urine can attract sharks...probably would need a large amount to really get their attention though...

"Don’t urinate in the ocean. This may sound silly, but sharks can sense urine as they do blood. The same goes for vomit."

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maui Vacation Rss Feed