General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gee, why didn't I think of that? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-29 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: Gee, why didn't I think of that?

Imgaine my horror this morning when I headed out at 5:15 for my usual 20 mile country ride, only to come face to face at the mile 4 intersection with this sign: "FRESH OIL!!!"  What the #@$%$^%$#@!$???

Of course, it's never enough to just slather up a road with miles of sticky, smelly oil. One must cover the fresh oil with pea gravel!! What brilliant tranportation czar ever came up with this concoction, anyway?  Sorry, that's my bitter moment of the week.

2004-06-29 11:03 AM
in reply to: #34327

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gee, why didn't I think of that?
I know! I hate that stuff! I'm sure there is some really good reason for coating roads with it, but I sure don't understand what it is. And around here, they don't sweep up the excess; they just let it gradually wear/blow away over time. It is very difficult to bike or rollerblade on that stuff. I sympathize with you--argh.

Kelly
2004-06-30 12:46 AM
in reply to: #34327

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Subject: RE: Gee, why didn't I think of that?
I may be lynched for admitting this but, I to, have been guilty of putting down the smelly oil and covering it with pea gravel!!!! Typically these types of surface treatments (chip seals) are used to seal the small cracks in the pavement, and to renew the driving surface for AUTOMOBILE traffic. Love it or hate it, the big stinky automobile is what pays for all the roadway maintenance (through the gas taxes you pay each time you fill up).

As Public Works Director, I probably get a half dozen calls every time we chip seal a roadway. My line is always the same - if my agency could afford to overlay everything with asphalt, I would never, ever put down another chip seal. But, we never have enough money to do what needs to be done, and the chip seal is one of the tools we are forced to use due to the economics.

Dennis
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gee, why didn't I think of that? Rss Feed