General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for sympathy/Am following Dr's Orders Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-07 7:43 AM

New user
Subject: Looking for sympathy/Am following Dr's Orders

After the high and recovery from Ironman Louisville and 4 months of light duty exercise, my crew wanted to do some type of upcoming race. We ran together ("we" being the guys who all trained for and completed Louisville) through December and decided that we wanted to run a local marathon that is on March 9. We signed up on Jan 1 and got to it. I searched google for 8 week marathon plans and there are none. Imagine that. On Feb 15th at mile 17 of an 18 mile run, my left foot began to have a sharp pain. Long story short, went to my foot Doctor and my third metatarsal is broken. Not fractured, broken. I'm in one of those funny looking boots now. Probably too much running in a short amount of time contributed to this.

Im pretty active so this is killing me. Marathon is Saturday. Should I run it?  Just kidding. I do hate I'm missing it but the real kicker is.........I am signed up for Ironman Raleigh 70.3 in the beginning of June. Dr. says I can swim all I want right now and I will be visiting him in 3 weeks for another xray. By then, he says, I will be 6 weeks into recovery and should be able to get on my trainer and ride and ride on the road. Then ease back into running.

As far as  Raleigh goes, we will see. I feel certain that if all goes well, recovery wise, I'll be good to participate. Notice I said participate because that what I do anyway.  If this was my first, I would be worried but because I know how to handle these and I dont have the pressure of "I gotta finish!", I know I'll be good. 

I would have never thought that I would be out with a broken foot bone. Those feet really take a pounding.

2013-03-07 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4649786

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Subject: RE: Looking for sympathy/Am following Dr's Orders

You will probably be able to do some High cadaence low resistance spinning on the trainer while still wearing the  boot after a couple of weeks if that makes you feel any better, at least I could but definately no standing on it or uphill low cadence high resistance work at all.

Heal quickly and good luck.

2013-03-07 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4649786

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Subject: RE: Looking for sympathy/Am following Dr's Orders
We've all gone too hard, too far, too fast. How else do you know where the breaking point is ... literally. All the wisdom on the Internet and we still get into trouble. Recover smart.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for sympathy/Am following Dr's Orders Rss Feed