General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM run nutrition and hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-08 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: IM run nutrition and hydration

As the training hrs for IMCDA start to ramp up, I was curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are regarding run nutrition and hydration during the race (in terms of cal/hr or oz/hr).

I have my bike nutrition and hydration needs pretty dialed in (at least for the HIM distance, so far I haven't had to tweak much in IM training). However, in all my previous HIMs I kind of just wing the run nutrition/hydration and don't generally consume much. In a HIM I find that so long as I hit my bike nutrition, I don't need many calories (probably <150 for the entire 13.1mi) and hydration is on the low side as well (well under 20 oz, I wouldn't be surprised if it was under 10). For HIMs I generally just eat and drink as I feel necessary. Not sure how well that will translate to a 26.2 mi run ...

Of course I will test all this during training, but as a guideline what sort of calories/hr and liquid oz/hr do many of you plan to consume during the IM run?

2013-03-08 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4651910

User image

Spokane
Subject: RE: IM run nutrition and hydration

I'm currently working on both for IM CDA right now too. I know that i burn about 80-95 calories per mile on the run. There is a aid stop every 1 mile on the run so if that helps. I think every 5 miles on the bike, maybe every 10 i dont remember right now.

2013-03-09 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Run nutrition is tough to predict.  It has everything to do with how the bike went.  I generally have a plan that I use if things are going well, but if the wheels come off I just eat what looks good as I shuffle.

If things are going well:  A gel every 30 minutes for as long as I can stand them.  After about 15 miles I switch to a cup of coke every mile.  For a stand alone marathon I take a gel every 45 mins, but I find I need closer to 200 cals an hour in the IM.

Last summer at Vineman I wasn't having a good race and was just jogging.  I didn't feel like any gels and just drank a coke every mile.  It worked pretty well.

Finally, I like to bring some maalox or tums with me just in case.  I've never used them, but I have given them to friends or other racers and it made a big difference for them.

2013-03-09 12:55 PM

User image

Regular
Agree on calories during the run and its correlation on how the bike went and your stomach is feeling. You may or may not want to eat coming off the bike for a while. I usually have a gel about 25-30' prior to coming off the bike so I won't have to eat right away and it has time to settle. Then, I have a bottle of efs or coke in my run bag and sip on that out of the chute and work off those calories for a bit. Then I go off feel for gels and rest of calories throughout. However, I try to keep it minimal on the run with my focus on staying hydrated and cool.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM run nutrition and hydration Rss Feed