General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So How Does One Get Started In Triathlons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-09 12:11 AM

User image

Subject: So How Does One Get Started In Triathlons?

Long Post Warning!

I've lurked for a couple weeks, registered a few days ago, and figured it's time to jump in here.

I'm a runner.  Plain and simple.  I started a couple years ago with the idea of running a half-marathon in celebration of turning 40, and went from someone who could barely run 3 miles (like really run, not run-walk, or walk quickly, but hold a sub-10:00 pace for 5K) and ran the Crescent City Classic 10K a couple times for the atmosphere and post-race party to an honest-to-God runner.  My 10K PR is 47:51, my HM PR is 1:39:53, and a couple weeks ago I ran my first marathon at 4:03.  I probably could have gone under 4 hours if I hadn't had 5 corrals of liars in front of me and my bladder had cooperated, as my pace over the last 5 miles was in the 8:50 range, and my back half was 1:59 or something.  

After the race a couple weeks ago, my buddies from college and I were talking about future plans, and the idea of doing a HIM came up (not from me).  I was kind of numb at that point (and lubricated from post-race beer), but even in my relaxed state, the idea of doing a half-marathon struck me as a bit nuts.  Now, two weeks post-race, I'm starting to think that maybe it's really not, especially with the way I approach this sort of thing.  When I committed to my first half, I did so 5 months ahead of time, found a good training plan for a novice runner, and in a slow methodical way cranked up my mileage and pace until 2 weeks pre-race I was doing a 2 hour long run and covering just under 13 miles.  It worked, obviously, as I felt good through the race, finished in under two hours, and was able to enjoy a Disney World Vacation that started the day after the race.  For the next couple halfs, I took advantage of the foundation I had laid, bumped up the speed work in pre-race training, and knocked 7 minutes off my time in the second race, and 8 more in the third.  I started training for a marathon about 2 weeks after my last half, after much deliberation, and ran that 4 months after my last half.  So in my uneducated opinion, I'm thinking my fitness level is where I need it to be to start tri-training without killing myself.

20 years ago, I was an avid cyclist.  I was one of those guys on a college campus who rode everywhere instead of driving, did a couple days a week on some great trails until the land was bought by a developer, and could grind out a 20 mile ride at a decent clip with no issues.  We tried to start a cycling team at my high school (that never got off the ground) and I was routinely put in the A group on our rides, and when I was focused strictly on road cycling, 35-50 mile rides were commonplace.  But that was 20 years ago.  A few years back my wife and I went to visit my Aunt, and her husband owned a bike shop in Royal Oak, MI (Continental Bike Shop for anyone from there) and he got me a screaming deal on a Campy equipped Bianchi Campione, but I never got back into cycling like when I was younger.  That said, pre-running, doing a 10-15 mile ride wasn't a big deal for me.  But it wasn't at 18 MPH like way back when.  

Swimming... well, let's just say I'm not a swimmer.  I can stay alive in deep water, but I haven't swum for exercise since I was about 11.   And I was horrible at it back then.  Horrible.

This week though, I cleaned up my bike and adjusted/tuned/tweaked everything, and picked up a couple pairs of cycling shorts and jerseys.  Tomorrow I'll probably go run 3-4 miles to see how my legs are recovering, and if I'm feeling decent afterwards, Sunday I may do about 10 on the bike and another 2-3 running, just to get in a good hour workout.

My biggest challenge, by far, will be swimming.  I don't have a pool.  I don't belong to a gym.  I can't swim the length of an Olympic size pool in a manner that doesn't make lifeguards get off their stands.  So I know I'll need to find a swim coach or class or something.  

My other challenge, and one I'm sure most here are familiar with, is time.  I commute about 40 miles each way, and work an 80/9 schedule, so my days including drive time are 12 hours without training.  Towards the end of the training cycle for my last race, I was leaving home at 6:35 AM and getting home at around 7:45 or 8:00 PM (we have a fitness center at work and I use the treadmills there after work).  The nature of my job makes working out at lunch not a consistently available option, as I'm usually having to work through lunch.  

In my head, I've got a race progression plan that I think 'may' work.  There's a 2/10/2 duathlon in early June that I could train myself for pretty easily.  It would give me a taste of multi-sport racing, get me acclimated to training multiple disciplines, and make me learn how to transition quickly and smoothly.  So I'm fairly certain I want to register for that race.  Plus there's free post-race beer.

After that, in late August, there's a sprint Tri that's being held conveniently close to a friend's condo in Florida (.5 Gulf swim/20 bike/4 run) that has free post-race beer, and she's penciled me in to rent it that weekend.  So that would give me from now until late August to learn to swim well enough to do a half-mile swim.  Plus it gives me time to get my bike pace up for 20, and maybe do some speed work to try to get my run time into the 7:30-7:45 pace for the last leg.  Unfortunately that looks like it may be the last multi-sport race of the season I'd be able to do before going ahead with training for the NOLA HIM in April 2014.  

I'd do the October half-marathon again because it's a good course and a fun race and they have post-race beer, and I'm trying to coerce my wife into doing the Disney Food and Wine Half in November mainly as a vacation for us and an excuse to drink (beer) and eat our way around Epcot.  Not to mention I've heard Disney races are a riot and more about the experience of running at Disney as opposed to trying to set a PR, so I'd be content running with her instead of "see you at the end.  Bye."

Early next spring is another sprint Tri close by that I'd probably register for to get better acclimated to the whole multi-sport thing, and then the HiM would be in late April.  I'm not one that would be happy with "just finishing".  I'd want to finish strong, with a respectable time, and not have the last leg or last half of the run leg like a death march.  I've hit every goal I've targeted since I've started running (sub 2 hour half, sub 1:50 half, sub :50 10K, sub 1:45 half, sub 4:15 full) and don't need to break that streak.

So my questions are...

Is that sort of race progression/long term plan feasible?  Is shooting for a HIM over a year away even smart, or should I wait until after I've done a tri or 2 before even considering it?

What am I looking for in learning to swim?  I'm pretty sure that my 5 year old and I won't be in the same class.  

What kind of weekday time commitment do I need to plan on making both now and closer to race time?  Weekends are a lot more flexible, obviously, but the thought of waking up at 4:30 to go swim then to work, then an hour on a treadmill or spin bike before going home makes me sleepy just typing it.

I often tease my wife, saying I'm a 7/8ths scale model of an ideal man, as a joke about my height and weight.  How hard is it to find gear for a guy on the short end of the spectrum, and by short I mean buying pants online because nobody stocks a 28" inseam and rides a 49cm frame bike short?  I'm thinking mainly wetsuits and a lightly used Tri-bike that's a couple years old.

And as far as bikes, how much of a benefit is a tri-bike over a traditional racing bike?  And how fast do you have to be to take advantage of the benefit of the tri-bike?  And at what point are you just buying bike stuff because carbon fiber is cool as opposed to actually gaining a competitive advantage?  There was a guy at the bike shop tonight with a full aero bike, wheels that looked like they had about 16 spokes, and the rims themselves were probably 4 inches from tire to spoke.  Based on what I've seen online, I'm guessing I could buy a really nice Les Paul for less than he's got tied up in that bike.  But I've also seen some composite frame Tri/TT bikes that were selling used for under a grand.  If I can get into a fancy composite aero bike for 7-900 bucks I'll probably do it, even if I have to spend a couple more dollars getting the bike fit to me and getting it outfitted like I'd want.  But I can't rationalize tying up three grand in a bike for what very well be one or two races.

What kind of electronic gadgets/apps are really helpful with training?  I've been using my iPhone as a running GPS and coach utilizing MiCoach half-marathon plans and Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Marathon plan and really like the tracking of my workouts so I can see my progression.  It's especially useful for talking smack to the guy in HR who has been doing Tris for a few years and has still not beaten me in a sanctioned half-marathon.  "Hey, 12 miles at an 8:15 pace yesterday, how was your run?"  "Shut up Russ."

Lastly, what's a respectable time for the three legs of a 70.3 race?  What would be a decent target to shoot for in each leg?

Thanks in advance for your answers.  

R

2013-03-09 12:25 AM
in reply to: #4652871

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: So How Does One Get Started In Triathlons?
First, welcome to BT and congrats on some getting into running and some great accomplishments.

My suggestion, join a tri-club. You have a bunch of questions and I think knowing people who you can talk face to face will get your answers easier than a really long post.

Second, I think if you break down each of those questions into a priority list, I'd start with just seeing where your swim is. Get lessons from a referral from your new team or local tri shop.

Once you know how much work your swim will require, you can start setting a plan for the rest knowing that you will learn along the way.

Finally, I think if you focus and stay injury free, you should be able to nail a HIM next year and easily work in some sprint and Olympic races along the way.
2013-03-09 12:37 AM

User image

The swim is by far my biggest concern.  Everything about it is completely foreign to me.  The talk about workouts, how far the distances are in relation to anything I know, OWS, etc.  Running I understand.  Cycling I understand for the most part, though the tech is a lot different now than it was 20 years ago. 

My wife and I are talking about joining a gym soon, and my neighbor is a swim instructor at one of the gyms here.  Maybe I can catch her outside sometime in the next week or two.

As for clubs, there's two near here that I've found online.  One uses Ning for their site and it's completely disorganized, and the organizer of the club has posted some stuff that leads me to believe we won't be a good fit personality wise.  The other's Facebook page looks like an infomercial for some nutritional supplement and all their pics look like expert level folks.  I can't get a feel for how newbie friendly they are.

2013-03-09 1:03 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

-figure out how to swim decently, and start doing so

-dust off the bike skills

-don't go nuts buying stuff, get what you need

-re-assess the HIM later, or if you have to sign up, do so, but realize it could be an unrealistic expectation (so you have plan B, bail).

-buy a book on tri's, and read, ask questions here, figure out what you need to know

2013-03-09 5:26 AM

www.swimsmooth.com has some good info on learning to swim. Or of course you could hire a coach. Half IM in a year is absolutely doable, and you would definitely benefit from doing a couple of shorter races beforehand.
2013-03-09 5:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

I still have my first HIM ahead, but that should be just 3 months from now

It's a good idea to set some milestones with shorter distance triathlons on the way and get some race experience. With one year+ to go, it's way too soon to fix yourself on a particular race anyway. 

For the swim, get a coach, in particular in the beginning. The sooner the better, or you might just teach yourself some bad habits that you then have to unlearn. You need to master at least free style and breast stroke and be able to tread water a few minutes to be safe in OWS.

How much time you need to dedicate really depends on your goal, and your current base fitness. I think the running is by far the hardest on your body, so having done half mary you should be good. If you can dedicate about 1hr 4 weekdays and then 2-4hour sat+sunday then you have a good schedule. Have you considered riding your bike to or from work? 40miles will do a nice workout, drive to work, ride home, next day ride to work drive home. If that is feasible you should get some extra time there.

I was recommended a road bike and don't regret it, I expect to ride my road bike on my first HIM. A road bike is legal in any race, tribikes are legal only in non-drafting races. But, I understand that in US most races are non-drafting. The benefit of a tribike depends as much on the route, a very hilly route with lots of turns, steep climbs, hairpin down etc and you'll be better off with an ordinary road bike which has better handling and is more stable. The tribike excels on long flat and straight routes, but is unstable if there is a lot of gust winds. 

Tracking my workouts really keeps me committed, without I think I'd easily fall back. I use a Garmin 910xt which works for all three sports, I use it mostly as a datalogger really. Otherwise I don't use gadgets, and I think it might be a good idea sometimes just to go by feel.

So, your last question: What is a "decent" target? 

That is very individual: A decent target is something that makes you proud! It doesn't matter if you do 6:00 or 6:30, if you feel you earned it and it makes you proud.

But if you want to gauge your result I suggest you do a few OLYs. Se how you do in each discipline. Then you can either scale up your times and add 10% or compare with race results from last year:

If you get in as, say, number 80 of 100 in the swim in the OLY, then you'll likely fare as well on the HIM, if that had 200 athletes, you should expect to be 160. Look at the race results and see what time number 160 did.

BR

2013-03-09 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4652878

User image

Pro
metafizx - 2013-03-09 2:03 AM

-figure out how to swim decently, and start doing so

-dust off the bike skills

-don't go nuts buying stuff, get what you need

-re-assess the HIM later, or if you have to sign up, do so, but realize it could be an unrealistic expectation (so you have plan B, bail).

-buy a book on tri's, and read, ask questions here, figure out what you need to know

Excellent advice. Sign up for that sprint and get in the pool. Swimming is harder than you think, especially as an adult. Take lessons or get a coach. Do some open water swims before the race, that too is a different experience. Do the sprint, get used to bodies hitting you in the water, and see how you feel afterwards.

All you really need for a sprint is tri shorts and top. And I am assuming you own a bike helmet.

2013-03-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4652969

User image

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I'd love to ride to work, but it's not possible because of the 24 mile bridge I drive every day.

Any race down here is going to be flat and straight.  After I do the du and the sprint in August I'll probably look for a deal on a bike, but I won't go buy something new and crazy expensive.

We're going to check out a health club today with a pool.  I'll also ask about coaching.  That swimsmooth.com link was helpful.  I'll read it some more later.

I still can't believe how dead my legs still are from a marathon 2 weeks ago.  Geez.

2013-03-09 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa

At some point you're going to have to go open water to be comfortable doing so in a race setting.  I would recommend signing up for a sprint with open water option a couple months out, then get in some passable speed in the pool and then go out to OWS in protected, non surf waters with a friend, or FIVE, or a triathlon club to get used to staring at the abyss while swimming, and practice swimming in a straight line. I would say due to the weakest chain swim ability you will have to set the HIM at least a season out to not crap out on the swim. (Then again, plenty of swimmers never touch open water until race day, doing plenty of pool training, show up in a backwards wetsuit and all, and still survive OR do really well, so if you're really gung ho or making good progress, maybe a fall HIM?)

Tri club is really the most efficient way to get all the knowledge you need, access to an Olympic sized pool, and peer pressure/support to get through the training.  I'm about to go stalk one right now to try to join XD

Edited by ayabrea 2013-03-09 8:46 AM
2013-03-09 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4652999

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
RussTKD - 2013-03-09 3:37 AM

I still can't believe how dead my legs still are from a marathon 2 weeks ago.  Geez.

swimming is the best for this!

2013-03-09 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Welcome to BT and triathlons!

It seems to me that finding the time to train will be quite problematic.  You mentioned a wife and five year old.  I looked up an 80/9 schedule, so it looks like you have an extra day off every other week, but you trade a 9 hour day for it.  Add on that a 40 mile commute.  Wow.

Over the years on BT there have been many long threads on how to balance work / family / training.  Everyone's situation is different.  Yours is a typical challenge.  Your five year old will need to go to school, drop-offs and pick-ups and weekend T-ball games etc Your job fills a big part of your day.  So you won't have a lot of time.

Triathlon training is not marathon training.  Marathon training is simple by comparison. What you have to do to maximize your training time is minimize transition time and cut the overhead. 

You can't afford 30 minute drives to the pool to go for a swim.  You need to find on the way to work or the way home so getting to the pool is at most say 5 minutes out of your way.  Most of your swims will be in the morning on the way to work so you can get dressed for work at the gym.  

I'll suggest what is probably difficult, but I'll still suggest it: move closer to work so you can bicycle to work.  Bike commuting is not necessarily great training by itself, but the time in the saddle really adds up.  I do a lot of my training in the summer to/from work.  My normal route is 7 miles to work , so that's a bit short. but I can easily add time and get an hour or 90 minute real workout.  But nobody can do an 80 mile round trip bike commute. You're just too far.

The problem with triathlon teams and clubs is meshing your schedule with theirs, both in terms of the training you need to do and when to do it.  When they're planning a 40 mile ride on Saturday at 8am, and you need to take your kid to T-ball that morning, ouch.  When you need to do a 60 mile Z2 endurance ride, and they're planning 2 hours of hill repeats, ouch.  I've been a member of a club for years, but our schedules often don't match so I rarely actually train with the whole group.  Hopefully maybe this summer my IMAZ training will match with their IMC training so we can do some long rides together.  Maybe.

Other time saving tips:

• I don't bother to log details.  I don't have 20 minutes a day to futz with writing things down Sure I have a Garmin 910xt and upload the data out of it every Sunday evening.  I also have a spreadsheet where I log my training time (time, not distances).  
  • I suggest a no-fuss haircut that doesn't need blowdrying or product or whatever.  No time to fool around with that, especially when you have to shower twice a day.
  • Get a bike trainer ($250), put it in a spare room or the garage.  Put a TV in front of it, connect a laptop, get TrainerRoad, watch Netflix etc.  Do a lot of training on it. 
  • Get a treadmill ($700 to $1000, like a used Sole F80 or new F70).  I do a lot of treadmill runs at home, most everything less than 45 minutes is a treadmill run. 
  • Take swimming lessons from the get-go.  You do not have time to learn by yourself, get it wrong, need to unlearn bad habits, etc.  
  • Buy your time back as much as you can.  Hire someone to mow your grass.  Get a house cleaning service. 

My last thought is that this is not a cheap sport.  You don't need to go broke, but getting started in triathlons means equipment, gym memberships, swim lessons, clothes, race entry fees, travel expenses to the races, even gardeners and housecleaners.   You don't need to buy a tri bike from the get go, nor do you need fancy equipment.  But you might want it later.  And this all adds up.  It would be wise to plan for that and not surprise yourself or your wife with how much you'll spend.

2013-03-09 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
Ditto on this not being a cheap sport.  What I've spent on the bicycle in the last eight months alone has gone beyond what I've spent in six years of running in shoes, clothing, and race fees.  The bike started at 1400 and everything just kept piling on.  I didn't even spend a dime on swimming lessons since I could already swim (though I did spend140 dollars in DVD's and books that talks about open water swimming.)  Hands down the most expensive hobby ever. 
2013-03-09 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4653245

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

ayabrea - 2013-03-09 11:22 AM Ditto on this not being a cheap sport.  What I've spent on the bicycle in the last eight months alone has gone beyond what I've spent in six years of running in shoes, clothing, and race fees.  The bike started at 1400 and everything just kept piling on.  I didn't even spend a dime on swimming lessons since I could already swim (though I did spend140 dollars in DVD's and books that talks about open water swimming.)  Hands down the most expensive hobby ever. 

I agree it's a pricey sport, but if you know what to spend your money on, and are thrifty, it's not so bad.

Marketing pressure, and not being satisfied with the "lower end" is what makes it expensive...and that goes for races too. Going for off-brand races, instead of Ironman (for example), will save a lot...but as many of us do, we go for the fancy stuff.

..and there is nothing wrong with either idea, or a mix of cheap/expensive. whatever works to get you out to do what you want with the budget you have.

Edited by metafizx 2013-03-09 4:48 PM
2013-03-12 1:51 PM

User image

Baby steps...

I ran 4 miles Saturday.  Legs are feeling better, but still not "good", if that makes sense.  I'll probably start running steadily again next week.

Sunday I rode 20 miles.  That felt great.  I wish someone had told me 20 miles on a bike was easier than on foot. 

My Dad had a magnetic trainer, so I grabbed that out of storage and set it up in my garage. 

And lastly, the gym that's about a 2 minute detour on my way home has:

• Corporate discount with my employer
  • Reasonable family rates
  • 2 Olympic pools
  • Swim coaching program and a swim coach who's worked with triathletes
  • Classes my wife will like

So it looks like we'll probably join that gym. 

The wife is completely on board with this.  I think she's just looking forward to a beach trip at the end of August though. 

2013-03-12 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
RussTKD - 2013-03-09 1:11 AM

Long Post Warning!

I'd just like to say that you were right on with this. Usually when people warn of a long post it really isn't long at all. Yours is. Well done.

2013-03-12 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
The swimming was my biggest fear when I started these. Met a buddy at the pool twice a week and we tried to get 20 laps in each time. For the first month I could only swim one or two laps at a time before I rested. Eventually I could add a third doing breast stroke or something easy.

The key is consistency, you'll get used to it all eventually. Swim lessons and a training partener are helpful if you have the opportunity.

2013-03-12 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4656939

User image

mrbbrad - 2013-03-12 1:59 PM

I'd just like to say that you were right on with this. Usually when people warn of a long post it really isn't long at all. Yours is. Well done.

I'm an admin on a small off-topic board.  I know the rules.

2013-03-12 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
just sign up for a sprint and finish it.  I jumped in headfirst and have been learning along the way ever since.  I dont really have any triathlon "friends" that I train with but I have gotten alot of info off of BT.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So How Does One Get Started In Triathlons? Rss Feed