General Discussion Triathlon Talk » helping hand - cracked me up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-05 9:23 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: helping hand - cracked me up

Did anyone else notice this?  I don't even know what stage it was or who the rider was because most of the last few days are a blur and I'm just flipping on the tv when I get a few minutes.  There was a guy who was really plodding along, maybe in last place or at least near it.  While the camera was on him from behind he gets a water bottle from his support car and while him and the guy in the car are both holding the bottle the guy in the car pulls him forward like a crack the whip kind of thing. 

I don't really care if it's legal or not, the guy was so far out of it.  It just totally cracked me up that in the greatest bike race that covers over 2,000 miles they would resort to this for 3 seconds of momentum, as if that will make much of a difference over the course of the race. 

On a side note, I really felt for the guy since, in relative terms, he looked like what I feel like on most of my long rides.  On the other hand, he rides a bike for a living so I didn't feel THAT bad for him.

2006-07-05 9:59 AM
in reply to: #474001

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: helping hand - cracked me up

I've seen it a lot and haven't really thought much of it because I'm assuming its legal. 

When a rider falls (and then a chain reaction follows) you see fans helping the cyclists up and pushing them to get them going. I've also seen shots of other riders talking to their support car, holding onto the door.

2006-07-05 10:21 AM

User image

Runner
I saw that yesterday, too. I think one of the announcers said something about a penalty, but it didn't lok like anyone was around to really catch it (in terms of officials).

Yeah, I laughed too.
2006-07-05 9:33 PM

Master
The OLN guys discussed something like this. You know when someone flats then the draft of the team cars? Its illegal, and the refs know it happens but look the other way if the did have something happen out of their control (ie crash, flat)
2006-07-05 10:34 PM
in reply to: #474752

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Yeah, and right after that they showed a guy drafting the REF CAR!!!

In the case of the last place guy, that extra effort of starting up on your own may take a lot out of you...maybe it won't make a differenc in terms of seconds or minutes of finishing times, but if it were me riding (not in this life...) it might make the difference between staying in the race, ie finishing the stage, and just saying F**K it and getting in the team car.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » helping hand - cracked me up Rss Feed