General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit selections - help/advice needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-11 10:14 AM

Subject: Wetsuit selections - help/advice needed

I'm all set to do my first 1/2 Ironman, but need to get the wetsuit piece sorted out.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 4 suits: 2 by 2XU and 2 by TYR.

Entry level (approx. $300): TYR Cat1 or 2XU A:1

Middle level ($400 - $450): TYR Cat3 or 2XU R:3

Any feedback about the companies in general?  Is there really that much performance difference (be it speed, flotation, comfort, etc...) between the lower end suits vs. the higher end suits?

What about sizing advice?  Unfortunately, there are no local vendors so I am not able to try the suits on before I buy.  The company's sizing charts are easy enough to navigate... but are they accurate???  My research shows I would fit either a S/M or M (5'9" @ 156 lbs).

Lastly - all of my swim training is done in a pool.  So in order to do get used to the suit, I will have the wear it in the cholrinated water.  Provided I rinse the suit quickly and thoroughly, any issues with this???

Thanks!

2013-03-11 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4654810

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Wetsuit selections - help/advice needed

Wesuits are much like bikes....for one to be a good choice for you, it must fit correctly.  Just like bikes, do not select a suit based on brand, color, graphics, etc.  If your wetsuit does not fit correctly, then you will not get the best results with it.

Also, I will also say, unless you are a FOP swimmer and are concerned about shoulder flexibility, I would not spend more than $150 or so on your first wetsuit (full sleeves).

Since you do not have a local store, I would recommend giving Xterra wetsuits a try.  They will ship suits to you and allow you to give them a try (even in a pool!).  They are always running a sale and their customer service gets rave reviews.  They have a great reputation in regards to returns & exchanges.

FWIW, I do not own an Xterra nor am I associated with them in any way.  My suit is an Orca (I was able to try it on at my local shop before purchase).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit selections - help/advice needed Rss Feed