General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vilano Forza a good first bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-14 11:18 AM

Subject: Vilano Forza a good first bike?

I'm doing my first tri (sprint) in a few months and am looking to buy my first bike. I want something reliable and that will serve me well through several years of sprints and olympics. I found a Vilano Forza on Amazon for $379. I would assemble this, then take it to my local bike shop for a proper tune up. I'm also considering a Trek 1 Series, which will run about $750 from my local bike shop.

Of course, cost is an issue. However, I don't want to buy junk at the lower price if it's going to cause repair headaches or not last. Any opinions on the best way to go? Other model suggestions?

FYI- I am a woman and have been measured for a 54 or 56 cm bike.

Thanks,

Lisa

2013-03-15 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4659596

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Vilano Forza a good first bike?
I don't think you'll find a much better deal for a <$400 bike, but shipping and then the tuneup will likely bump the price up a bit.  If you're up for spending a little more (but probably less than the 1 series) and have a local Trek dealer, how about a Lexa?  My wife swore she didn't want to get into cycling for years (the strength of her statements led me to believe she was bluffing) until we walked into the shop one day and saw a Lexa that was 'cute'.  We took it home and now she loves riding probably more than I do. The coordinating outfits and shoes probably helps.
2013-03-15 6:06 PM

Yeah, cuteness and outfits are not my concern. I was looking for more specific advice on the relative quality of the 2 bikes and whether spending more now would be wise or not. A quick search shows the Lexa is roughly the same price as a 1.1. From the specs listed in the Trek catalog, I don't see a difference in the two. 
2013-03-15 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4661867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow.  I'll try to be helpful one more time then go back to minding my own business. I know my wife, not you, and was only relaying her experience.  There are several Lexa models.  The one she bought is probably a step up from the Vilano Forza and we rolled it out the door for $500 which included a couple tuneups over the first year.  It's almost always wise to spend a bit more up front on a known brand with good support from your local shop. Good luck.
2013-03-16 7:15 AM

Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off harsh. Part of your response rubbed me the wrong way and I should have parked that before I replied. 

Thank you for your advice. If the Lexa really is similar to the 1.1 and it's hundreds less, that would be a good deal. The online price I saw was higher than what you paid for your wife's, but I'll check in with my LBS (they deal mostly in Treks) and see if it's less.

2013-03-16 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
It's not a "bad" bike but the components are one step above walmart level and the lowest level that any decent road bike should have.  After a year you will want to trade it in for a higher level bike.  My suggestion is to look for a good used bike like a Trek, Giant, Etc.  You can score good deals on the used market.  2 years ago I found a 2007 WSD Trek 1000 for $450+75 shipping on Ebay.  It came with Sora/Tiagra Level components (1 to 2 steps higher than the Forza has), a carbon seat post and a carbon fork.  It was in almost like new condition. The Wife loves it.  As long as you know what size you need I wold search Ebay, Craigslist and so on first.  

2013-03-16 9:49 AM

I found a 56cm Trek 1000 with Sora components on Craigslist in my area for $400. I'm a bit nervous buying a used bike since I don't know anything about them. What should I look for and what questions should I ask to make sure it's in good condition?
2013-03-16 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4662318

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota

lgrigg213 - 2013-03-16 9:49 AM I found a 56cm Trek 1000 with Sora components on Craigslist in my area for $400. I'm a bit nervous buying a used bike since I don't know anything about them. What should I look for and what questions should I ask to make sure it's in good condition?

First off is it the right size?  How tall are you?  I see you were told you are a 54 to a 56.  What brand bike was that for?  Different brands have different geometries so make sure you look at thing like top tube length when looking at bike so you fit similar to what yo were told you would fit.    

When buying any used bike from a private person ride it if possible to see if there's any noises, rubbing, stiff turning, etc.  Then look over the bolts, brake calipers, hubs, etc to see if they are rusted or not indicting being left out in inclement weather.  Check tires for dryrot and cracking.  Look for dents, scrapes on the frame, fork, derailleurs, etc (indicating a possible crash, or mistreatment).  Lastly, does it shift smoothly?  If it all checks out then negotiate a fair price.  If your patient you can find some great deals. If you find something don't be afraid to post a photo here and get some feedback.  

Edited by lakelandsledder 2013-03-16 3:40 PM
2013-03-16 4:05 PM

Thank you, thank you. Good things to look for. I'll keep my eyes open.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vilano Forza a good first bike? Rss Feed