General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chewing tobacco and training... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-05 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
Subject: Chewing tobacco and training...
OK...OK...all of the super healthy folks are going to have a conniption fit but for everyone else...

I chew tobacco, been doing it for about 11 years since high school. I know all of the health risks, I have seen all of the pictures, gotten the lectures from parents, fiancee, dentist, etc...it is a nasty habit and I will quit some day...sooner rather than later...

At a recent tri that I was watching I saw two athletes coming in off of the bike with a dip of chew in their lip (those who chew can spot a dip in a lip a mile away)...intrigued I talked along the fence of the transition area and watched both guys come out of T2 with the dip still in their lip for the run...

I wanted to talk to the guys after the race to ask them why they were dipping while racing but I lost track of them...

Has anyone else ever seen or done this?
I always love a chew after a hard training run or ride and I have found that it keeps my HR up a little while longer but I have never had a dip WHILE working out...

I am bored here at work and have been pondering this for a couple of weeks so I thought I would put it out to the BT community...

2006-07-05 4:50 PM
in reply to: #474557

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: RE: Chewing tobacco and training...
all i know is that im glad I race on this coast of the country...the regular spit of triathletes is pretty gross...but dip spit? I'm glad they waited till AFTER the bike ! hehe.

I dunno, is this like the "can you chew gum and walk?" question for grown ups? I don't think I'm that coordinated!
2006-07-05 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

Copenhagen it makes me feel so good.
Copenhagen the way I know it should. 
I put a little chew in my mouth,
go spittin' and a-slobberin'
all around the house, that
Copenhagen, it makes me feel so good.

It's a cure all too-
it cures fits, warts, freckles, coughs,
colds, runny nose.
Guaranteed not to rip, run or snag.
Makes conception a wonder and
child birth a pleasure...
That's Copenhagen, it makes me feel so good. - Chris Ledoux

Back in my wild mis-spent youth I chewed for 12 years.  Quiting was the hardest thing I have ever done.  It's been 10 years since I've had a dip but I still sometime have dreams about it and wake up craving it. 

From a racing perspective it will raise your heart rate and lead to dehydration.  Both things you want to avoid in a race.  Racing with a dip is right up there with stopping mid-way for a smoke.  Justify it however you want but it simply comes down to addiction. 

Edited by T in Liberty Lake 2006-07-05 6:15 PM
2006-07-06 1:12 PM
in reply to: #474607

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
T in Liberty Lake - 2006-07-05 3:07 PM

Copenhagen it makes me feel so good.
Copenhagen the way I know it should. 
I put a little chew in my mouth,
go spittin' and a-slobberin'
all around the house, that
Copenhagen, it makes me feel so good.

It's a cure all too-
it cures fits, warts, freckles, coughs,
colds, runny nose.
Guaranteed not to rip, run or snag.
Makes conception a wonder and
child birth a pleasure...
That's Copenhagen, it makes me feel so good. - Chris Ledoux

Man I love that song...and I miss that man!!!!
2006-07-06 1:23 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
at least you're not snorting the stuff...
2006-07-06 1:23 PM

User image

cOpenhagen, what a wad of flavor
cOpenhagen, you can see it in my smile
cOpenhagen, what a wad of flavor, chew
cOpenhagen makes those pretty girls smile

I dip and need to quit too, but that would leave me with pretty much no vices (down from lots) and I'm not sure how I feel about that . . . .

2006-07-06 1:30 PM
in reply to: #475294

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Homer J - 2006-07-06 1:23 PM

cOpenhagen, what a wad of flavor
cOpenhagen, you can see it in my smile
cOpenhagen, what a wad of flavor, chew
cOpenhagen makes those pretty girls smile

I dip and need to quit too, but that would leave me with pretty much no vices (down from lots) and I'm not sure how I feel about that . . . .

I say every man needs two vices. No more, no less. My wife would argue that triathlon counts as one.
2006-07-06 1:32 PM

User image

Queen BTich

OMG GROSS!!

*ok, rant over*

I've never seen it in a race, or training either.

2006-07-06 1:41 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Smoking crack and training...

OK...OK...all of the super healthy folks are going to have a conniption fit but for everyone else...

Has anyone else ever seen or done this?
I always love a smoke after a hard training run or ride and I have found that it keeps my HR up a little while longer but I have never had a pipe WHILE working out...

I am bored here at work and have been pondering this for a couple of weeks so I thought I would put it out to the BT community...

Innocent

2006-07-06 1:48 PM

User image

Runner
Having been a person who would dip and smoke and drink coffee all at pretty much the same time...

I have never gone on a training run with a dip. But, I used to always have a smoke either right before, right after, or both. I saw a German soldier smoking while running with a backpack on once. He was a little nuts, though.
2006-07-06 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
I have been dipping for 23 years.  Since I was 11, but I grew up on a farm or more speciifically on a hay wagon, my dad taught FFA, etc.  I chew all the time on training runs and bikes, but never in a race.  I like it because it keeps my mouth wet and fends off cotton mouth.  I have switched to gum duiring training, but sadly I have been unsuccessful at stopping dip.  Those of you that have good for you and come hit me oer the head so I can stop.

2006-07-06 5:18 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
I know where you are coming from. My granddad taught me the finer art of Red Man and how not to get caught by my Mom. But...

When he died a couple of years ago it was from cancer related to his chewing habit. It took him about 10 years too early. I am glad he talked me into quitting when I was 18.

Mike
2006-07-06 6:46 PM

Veteran
Ocean, New Jersey
This may seem a stretch, but are you absolutely sure it was dip? In several cases I've stored a bite or two of a Powerbar in my lip when I was unable to actually chew it. Some people take big bites before a transition area because they know they won't get another chance.
2006-07-06 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
AAAAAHHHHH a nice dip sounds great.  I have been dip free for over a year now (after 9 years) and like you said, Quiting is not easy!!!  My wife threatned me, and my trainning had hit a major wall so slowly but surely I gave it up (it took about a thousand pounds of seeds which I still need when working in the yard).  I never used it on a run, but when I used to go mountian biking  I always had one in.  The other thing I used to do when I got a bad craving I would put a tea bag in my lip and that usually was enough.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chewing tobacco and training... Rss Feed