General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do vegetarians make successful athletes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-06 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Subject: Do vegetarians make successful athletes?
For years I have struggled with my conflicting desires to be a vegetarian but also to eat a big fat steak. I've finally taken the leap about 6 weeks ago and have been pretty successful, thus far. My concern, though, is getting enough protein as I embark on a new training program. I know protein is necessary for muscle building (which I am sure to do...) but I've also heard (from the green community) that human's protein needs are over stated. Any vegetarians out there, training hard, and feeling sufficiently nourished??? PETA's site lists several pro athletes, including Ironma(e)n but I'm just a titch concerned.

2006-07-06 11:54 AM
in reply to: #475129

Subject: RE: Do vegetarians make successful athletes?
as long as you don't cut out dairy, you will be fine.
Have fish, substitute meat for soy"meat" to your recipes...and be sure to eat vitamine C with all sources of iron so you can assimilate it properly.

Are you considering of having some eggs or not?
You don't need to be a big strict vegetarian to benefit from that kind of nutrition.
2006-07-06 12:21 PM
in reply to: #475175

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
I'm trying to avoid fish, but I don't see myself making it on the vegan path, so dairy and eggs are still ok, in my book. Basically, I'm trying to avoid food without a face. Sadly, that includes crab and lobster :-). I know the dairy and egg critters are treated badly, too, but one step at a time!!!
2006-07-06 1:33 PM

so if you have dairy and eggs, I can't see how you can lack of protein.

2 eggs= 15g protein and 12g of good fat...
1 cup of milk=9-10g of protein and 12g cargs
1 cup of lentils=12g portein, almost the same for chick peas and red kidney beans....plus good carbs!
1 tofu sausage=10g protein and only 60 cal...
30g of cheeze (which is a small cube of 3cm by 3cm by 3cm=10g of protein)
Maybe you can also have a scoop of whey or soy protein per day at breakfast=20-25g of protein
You also have about 12g in a cup of oatmeal...
You also have about 7g in two slices of whole wheat bread....

and so on....I hope I helped you
2006-07-06 1:39 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

I can understand where you are coming from....I think I can anyway. Have dropped about 25 lbs since Christmas by mostly watching my portions and have also worked in a few non-meat meals (tomato and avacado sandwich).

I don't believe it's about avoiding the big juicy steak as much as it not inhaling the entire thing at one sitting. Remember a serving size a approximated by the size of your palm. Eat a smaller portion of the savory steak, then the next day, slice it thin, heat in a skillet, put it on a big tortilla with tomato/lettuce/cheese/avacado...and you have a steak fajita.

As for the lobster and crab being cut out I say THANK YOU. More for me. Crab legs and Lobster tail don't have a face when they come to the table.

There is a book my mother-in-law is reading call, "The Makers Diet" and that talks about diet from the biblical perspective and what meats are good to eat and what is not, along with what dea creatures are good to eat and which should be avoided.

2006-07-06 2:46 PM
in reply to: #475205

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

Mottyl - 2006-07-06 12:21 PM I'm trying to avoid fish, but I don't see myself making it on the vegan path, so dairy and eggs are still ok, in my book. Basically, I'm trying to avoid food without a face. Sadly, that includes crab and lobster :-). I know the dairy and egg critters are treated badly, too, but one step at a time!!!

Free range dairy and egg critters live better than I do! (At least the ones here in W)

2006-07-06 3:19 PM
in reply to: #475396

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
They claim California cows are happy cows, and I'm inclined to believe them http://www.realcaliforniacheese.com/.

The post with all of the breakdowns in protein content was super helpful, thank you!!!
2006-07-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: #475313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA

Edited by Mottyl 2006-07-06 3:23 PM
2006-07-06 4:55 PM

My own feelings aside (being vegan for over a decade now), is that it doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you eat "healthy". A vegetarian/vegan who lives on veggie burgers and fries is going to be just as unhealthy and nutrionally deficient as the corresponding meat burger/fries person.

There is tons of anecdotal evidence about healthy vegan/vegetarian athletes. Carl Lewis is the most famous example probably -- during all of his best racing years he was vegan, and I think he still vegetarian (though not vegan) now.

That all being said, the only problem I have ever encountered myself if sometimes running low on calories when I am training. My protein/iron/B-vitamin levels, etc have always been fine. But sometimes when I am ramping up how much I work out, I have to be sure to drink more fruit juice, and/or eat more nuts. It is typically a pretty minor adjustment though. If you are really concerned, just put a few weeks of your meals in fitday or something for a while just to be sure. Also, I'm sure people (myself included) could give you some recipes if you'd like. My husband is not even vegetarian, so whatever I cook has to be palatable for the omnivorous types!
2006-07-07 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I've been vegetarian for a couple of years.  This season has been the first time I've felt like maybe I'm not getting enough of something..ie feeling run down, can't do my workouts, etc.

BUT-I'm also working almost full time, so I have been lazy about my diet, relying more and more on convenience foods a la Morningstar Farms instead of cooking . 

I threw a couple of "meat meals" in, and I did feel better, but I'm not sure that the two things are related.  It could have been plenty of other things. 

2006-07-07 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
So last night I got the Vegetarian for Dummies book (not Idiot's Guide to...) and she has a special needs chapter that addresses athlete's. Hopefully that will answer my ?'s!

2006-07-11 4:11 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI

If you are worried about protien, you can just pick up some Whey Protien.  It's dairy though.  I use shortly after workouts. 

2006-07-11 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Seattle, California

I wouldn't worry about protien at all for endurance athletes. If you are a body builder well thats a different story although Bill Pearl (look him up) is vegatarian and the man is huge! The guy who has won the western states 100 for the past 7 years as well as the badwater marathon last year is a vegan. I don't bring these people up to say that they won because they are veg but only that it wont hold you back. You can live a very healthy life and thrive as an athlete on a veg diet.

If you are looking for other motivation that it is the right choice look up Dr. Dean Ornish. He has reversed heart disease and Type II Diabeties in every patitent that he has ever treated that sticks to his diet (Vegan low fat).

If you want protien eat a lot of nuts and beans. I make a huge pot of beans in the slow cooker each week and then use them throughout the week as a way to get some extra protien. I also have smooties in morning which i put hemp protien powder in (I also get a bunch of the omega's from it too).

Oh and one more thing, although I like PETA looking at their website for unbiased information is like looking at exxon's for facts on global warming

2006-07-11 4:56 PM
in reply to: #479467

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Global - 2006-07-11 2:48 PM

If you want protien eat a lot of nuts and beans. I make a huge pot of beans in the slow cooker each week and then use them throughout the week as a way to get some extra protien. I also have smooties in morning which i put hemp protien powder in (I also get a bunch of the omega's from it too).

Oh and one more thing, although I like PETA looking at their website for unbiased information is like looking at exxon's for facts on global warming

Thanks for the pot of beans tip, that is a good idea!

LOL re: the PETA website. I'm doing this for ethical reasons, but good gawd, they are a little over the top.

I was at an industry event over the weekend (I'm a conference producer/meeting planner) and they served veal and fois gras. Two of the most ethically offensive foods available aside from, maybe, serving roasted golden retriever puppy.

2006-07-11 5:21 PM
in reply to: #479478

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Mottyl - 2006-07-11 2:56 PM
Global - 2006-07-11 2:48 PM

Thanks for the pot of beans tip, that is a good idea!

LOL re: the PETA website. I'm doing this for ethical reasons, but good gawd, they are a little over the top.

I was at an industry event over the weekend (I'm a conference producer/meeting planner) and they served veal and fois gras. Two of the most ethically offensive foods available aside from, maybe, serving roasted golden retriever puppy.

mmm... golden retriever puppy

I'm an ethical vegan myself and when I turned veg I was the most unhealthy man around.

I was a meat and potatos kinda guy and ate my cheese bugers with extra cheese and mayo hold the veggies. I lived off bread and cheese for the first month until I finally slapped myself and decided I needed to try these vegtable things. I ate my first salad at the ripe age of 21! No Joke. Now I've been vegan for 4 years and I feel better then ever. In fact I'm pretty grossed out by meat now. Although when I made the jump I was craving cheese burgers all the time!

I still from time to time crave cheese though and have broken down and got a slice of pizza. I always feel gross after and the crazing goes away for several months.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do vegetarians make successful athletes? Rss Feed