General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri - Novice or AG? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-20 9:49 PM

User image

New user
Johnson Creek
Subject: First Tri - Novice or AG?
My first sprint triathlon.  I signed up for "Novice" group, not really sure what that meant. Now I see that they split the Novice participants off from the Age Group results.  I am debating if that it what I want to sign up for.  Does it matter, other than I should theoretically finish better in the women's novice group than I would in the Women's 35-39 group?

2013-03-20 10:31 PM
in reply to: #4668327

Subject: RE: First Tri - Novice or AG?

It probably doesn't make that much of a difference for your first race.  That said, if the race that you signed-up for has cut-off times and you're worried about making them, especially on the swim leg, then perhaps being in an AG group is better than the Novice group.  From what I've seen, the Novice/1st timer wave is usually in the water last.  Races usually measure the cut-off based on when the last group is in the water.  Thus, if you think you may need some 'extra' time in the water, then switch to the AG group assuming the AG wave starts before the Novice wave.  Those few minutes may be helpful.

Otherwise, I don't think there is a major difference.

Good luck!

2013-03-21 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4668355

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
LarchmontTri - 2013-03-20 11:31 PM

It probably doesn't make that much of a difference for your first race.  That said, if the race that you signed-up for has cut-off times and you're worried about making them, especially on the swim leg, then perhaps being in an AG group is better than the Novice group.  From what I've seen, the Novice/1st timer wave is usually in the water last.  Races usually measure the cut-off based on when the last group is in the water.  Thus, if you think you may need some 'extra' time in the water, then switch to the AG group assuming the AG wave starts before the Novice wave.  Those few minutes may be helpful.

Otherwise, I don't think there is a major difference.

Good luck!

Yea pretty much this ^^^... I've done a few races where they offered the "novice" group and they always started last.  I guess its for the "crowd" aspect of things, really nothing more.  Also the ones I've seen didn't give awards to the novice group.

Its really up to you what you do.

2013-03-21 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Oh yea... GOOD LUCK!!! enjoy your first 
2013-03-21 7:40 AM

User image

New user
Johnson Creek
The tri info doesn't state where they start, or if there is a time cutoff, or at least i couldn't find it.  But they do offer awards to top 3 in both men's novice, and women's novice.  I'm probably over thinking it. 
2013-03-21 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland

It's your first tri and it's a short sprint. Just stay with what you registered for and go out and have fun.

The main difference is you'll probably start with all the novice women instead of the moment in your age group. Either way you'll be competing against the women in your wave.

Looking at your training times, you have no need to worry about hitting cutoff times or finish way behind the other racers.

2013-03-21 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Go with AG.
2013-03-21 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I asked this same question a few weeks ago HERE- I will be doing my first tri June 1

(and THANKS for all of the great responses everyone!! They did help me make my decision)

In addition to AG or novice I also could race Athena. 

Athena would give me the best advantage time wise. I know I am racing against myself but come on- its a race- I want to do (place) the best I can. 

Time wise I might also do better in my age group- last year a 16 YO blew everyone away in the beginners...

But in the end it is my first tri and I like to know what to expect, all the details etc. so I registered as a first timer.

We are also jumping off of a pier into the water so I would rather have a few minutes to talk myself out of freaking out ;/ and though my training is not where i hope it is at the end of the summer- I do not think I will miss any time cutoffs and I WILL NOT BE LAST in any of the categories!!!

I hope to do another sprint in my AG (45-49) later in the summer. 

I say do what feels best to you. Look at the results from the different categories in your race from last year. 

And Good Luck!!!

2013-03-21 9:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-03-21 10:08 AM

Veteran
Houston, TX

I just did my first triathlon and had the same question. I ended up going with AG, because I just wanted to be in the mix with folks my age. It was a smaller event, so everyone started the swim at the same time anyway. The "first timer" category only determined how medals were awarded.

I ended up getting 2nd in my AG (again small event), but I would have been 1st amongst the first timers.

Even if you are unsure about the swim and you are in your AG group, you always can start in the back and count to 3 before going.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri - Novice or AG? Rss Feed